What sets off the detectors?

tigger2002

DIS Veteran
What items in your bag sets off the detectors when entering the parks. Looking for items to maybe leave in the room that would set them off. Do soda bottles set them off?

What items in your bag sets off the detectors when entering the parks. Looking for items to maybe leave in the room that would set them off. Do soda bottles set them off?

Umbrellas and Glasses Cases, was told take them out and hold them up.

BUT DH who doesn't hear well got pulled first three days for his glasses case.

Note: We had multiple battery chargers and fans in our bag and passed through no issue.

The two most common ones are umbrellas and hard shell glasses cases.

That's why I got a zippered soft sunglass case on Amazon. Bonus it has a clip, so I can keep it outside my bag and easily switch between regular and sunglasses as I go in and out.

I have a phone charger in my bag and never get pulled.

Aerosol cans of sunscreen set it off 100% of the time.

Had one, never set it off. I put it in a ziploc bag if that made a difference. Security does look at the scans (I watched over shoulder a few times) and I wonder if that is something that was a manual choice by security.

Unusual item profiles that aren't the norm. I had a tiny flashlight in the shape of a little coleman lantern that spooked security. They had to open up the battery compartment and turn it on themselves. Stick with the boring and predictable so no strange profiles for security.

I take out my hard shell glasses case and metal water bottle and hold them out (glasses case wide open so security can see there's nothing inside) as I walk through. It seems to be objects that could potentially conceal another object that get you pulled aside. My mom has metal clips on her backpack and never gets stopped.

Haven't been to WDW since these new screening procedures.
What happens during extra screening? They pull you aside and search your bag? Or are we talking pat down like at the airport? lol.

Haven't been to WDW since these new screening procedures.
What happens during extra screening? They pull you aside and search your bag? Or are we talking pat down like at the airport? lol.
I have only seen bags searched, and a wand used. However, I wouldn’t rule a pat down out of the question.

Definitely umbrellas. My son’s gimble for his phone also set it off. They also told me that if you had items with lots of wires, like wired ear buds, long charging cables, etc., that would set it off too. Once I took those out of my purse, it never set off it off again. They told us that it is more than a metal detector. It looks at shapes, etc. too. It may a modified version of the scanners from the airport.

Security at MK gave me this pro tip: put my umbrellas, glasses cases, and battery pack in two large ziplock bags. Take them out of my backpack and hold them in front of me while I walk through the metal detector. Worked like a charm once I started and I wasn’t stopped again for a bag search.

A security member was telling the crowd to take out umbrellas, phone chargers, and eyeglass/ sunglass cases. Then, hold them in front of you. It really saves time. I love the new screening process.

DH set it off on our last day due to having keys (house keys and car fob) in his pocket. It was the only day he carried them. They said it was the density that set it off.

My husband had an Altoids tin that set it off. He learned to take it out of his backpack and hold it in front of him. No problem after that.

It took me a while to figure out that my mini Altoids tin was what was setting it off. I was so frustrated! Once I figured it out, it's been smooth sailing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter