What should I expect on a 2 week Panama Canal Cruise?

jdguerrero88

FlyCasual
So my wife and I are doing the 14-day Panama canal cruise on the Wonder in November. Is there anyone out there who has done a two week cruise with Disney? What should we expect? Thank you!

Expect lots to do on the ship. We did the east bound and enjoyed the seminars about the canal, long days at sea, and getting to know the crew and fellow cruisers from being on the same ship for 2 weeks. The only problem I had was my hair. 2 weeks of humidity ( we're from NM) had my hair wavy and my bangs plastered to my forehead. Not a single photo of me on that cruise. Loved the cruise, hated my hair. Plan on doing the WB soon. Bring an umbrella.

DCL brings in special guest talent for longer cruises. Broadway's original "Belle" Susan Egan performed for us. Amazing voice!

DCL had special t-shirts and pins for the cruise, which basically caused a stampede and long lines for the shops. People were camped out overnight waiting to get their hands on the pins, which later turned up on ebay. Fortunately, DCL has come up with better ways to handle the merchandise now.

The Canal was very hot and steamy -- we spent part of the day inside one of the lounges with special drinks to cool off. In the days leading up to the Canal crossing, a retired pilot (canal guide) spoke to us and showed slides about the history, and what to expect.

This was in January 2011, the Wonder's first trip through the Canal on its way to Alaska. The chef was experimenting with new crab recipes. Since I'm a crabby person, we really enjoyed the menu.

There aren't as many school-age kids on the longer cruises. We were told there were some 400 fewer kids than normal, even tho each cabin had guests. There were plenty of pre-schoolers, and the students we did see were either doing homework on deck, or taking notes at the lectures about the Canal.

So my wife and I are doing the 14-day Panama canal cruise on the Wonder in November. Is there anyone out there who has done a two week cruise with Disney? What should we expect? Thank you!
Our first DCL cruise was a 15 night Panama Canal cruise.

It's pretty much just like most other DCL cruises, just longer. You'll have a different show in the main theater every night. Still the same 3 production shows, and more individual entertainment shows, plus a few of the semi-production shows they pull out for the long cruises.

Different menu every night, although specific items may be repeated on multiplie menus.

Expect a great time, expect after you will want cruises with less port days and more sea days, expect to be in shock after the cruise that you have to cook and make your own bed.

Our EBPC was in 2012 and after 15 cruises it still ranks as one of our favorites.

DCL brings in special guest talent for longer cruises. Broadway's original "Belle" Susan Egan performed for us. Amazing voice!

DCL had special t-shirts and pins for the cruise, which basically caused a stampede and long lines for the shops. People were camped out overnight waiting to get their hands on the pins, which later turned up on ebay. Fortunately, DCL has come up with better ways to handle the merchandise now.

The Canal was very hot and steamy -- we spent part of the day inside one of the lounges with special drinks to cool off. In the days leading up to the Canal crossing, a retired pilot (canal guide) spoke to us and showed slides about the history, and what to expect.

This was in January 2011, the Wonder's first trip through the Canal on its way to Alaska. The chef was experimenting with new crab recipes. Since I'm a crabby person, we really enjoyed the menu.

There aren't as many school-age kids on the longer cruises. We were told there were some 400 fewer kids than normal, even tho each cabin had guests. There were plenty of pre-schoolers, and the students we did see were either doing homework on deck, or taking notes at the lectures about the Canal.
I was on the same cruise. I found the Pacific side rough and was sick that entire time. Was so rocky ship was moving ways I wish it didnt. Drink lots of water through the Panama and sunscreen lots. It was a great cruise, great entertainment and history learned. Definately a bucket list item.

We've done several.
- This one is late in the year and should be a little cooler. But the water at Cozumel and Cayman should still be a decent temp (it's gonna be COLD water in the Baja). And a jacket/cover for the evenings on deck on the Pac side would be a good idea (and after leaving Cayman).
- Sunset on the Baja side will be ~4:45. By the time you get to Cozumel, more like 6:00. So if you like sunsets but early dining, plan accordingly.
- You have many days, don't try to do everything a once. BUT. If you see something you want to do, do it. You many not get too many other chances (some events only happen once).
- Corollary to the above, try everything at least once.
- If you're the type who packs light and re-uses, plan your laundry carefully schedule carefully.
- If you see something in one of the stores you want and don't buy it right away, it's a crapshoot whether it will be available later.
- Do your OBB ASAP, it tends to get cray all of a sudden near the end (after people have had 2 weeks to book).
- Fall back is on 11/2 but be prepared to lose 3 hours as we move slowly east (1 hr/nite).
- Yes, lots to do, but bring a book. Especially quiet time reading with an adult beverage at one of the porthole tables at the Promenade Lounge.
- Do trivia. it's just plain fun.
- Definitely hit up the Crown & Fin or Cadillac after 9. Very fun places.

Expect that (if you like cruising) you will have a wonderful time, and that by the end, you may be wishing Captain Mickey would make a wrong turn and sail around the Caribbean an extra week.
We did WBPC this past spring and it was so wonderful. We ate a lot, exercised some, tried new things in the bars and restaurants, enjoyed most of the entertainment offerings, relaxed, met so many nice people and crew, fun shore excursions.... I really didn't want it all to end!

I found the Pacific side rough and was sick that entire time. Was so rocky ship was moving ways I wish it didnt.
There can be trends for Certian areas but You can’t predict exact sea conditions. Our EBPC the pacific side was beautiful. It was calm seas and dolphins swimming along just about every morning. Once we got thru the canal the seas were rougher and we noticed the motion more.

* Lots of opportunities to snag a Palo Brunch ... with all of those sea days. But remember no more than one meal in Palo with in a 30 hour period -- it's just too much great food in a "short" period of time.
* Lots of opportunities to participate in scheduled activities
* even if you're not into trivia - there will be LOTS of times for Disney, Disney Music and sometimes Disney "video" trivia along with general knowledge or speciality (TV Shows, 80's music, etc). Even if you don't "know" anything about those subjects if you participate - you might make some new friends that don't know anything about the subject at hand.
* if you're into BINGO, there are numerous opportunities ... and the final jackpot should be Huge!
* sometimes there are Animators or Imagineers onboard and will give several talks
* Extra Special Entertainment ... Like Susan Egan - for a main show in the WDT and/or a talk / Q&A session in one of the clubs
* you might even have time to catch a movie during the day (even on 14 day cruises we have a hard time fitting these in because we're busy doing something else
* Take a nap on deck 4 on the loungers while the ocean floats by
* speaking of Deck 4 - on the Canal Transit day, be sure to check out the view from down there as well as from the upper decks. With the "old" locks there was a lot to see "up close" from deck 4, including how large some of those cargo ships are.
* do NOT throw anything overboard (ever) from the ship, and especially while going through the canal. On our first PC back in 2005, there was a large group that where throwing gifts / candy / etc off of the ship to the people crowded on the observation platform on shore ... that's a big No-NO!
* do go to Captain Pluckett's talks (or whoever is giving them) about the Canal and it's history ... these will be on the sea days leading up to the transit and will continue on the sea days afterwards
* if there is a Crew Talent Show - GO to it ... wow we have seen some amazing performers that were NOT a part of the entertainment staff (Cruise Staff, Main Stage Performers, etc). Even some of the Maintenance, Serving Team, Room Stewards, Guest Services, etc staff are talented!!
* Skip a lunch or 5 because you will overeat with 14 nights on board.
* Do walk a mile or 3 on deck 4 on all of the sea days, just to keep the metabolism going.
* Do be friendly - you will be with 2,000 guests and another 900 crew for two weeks, might as well be pleasant because you will be running into these folks frequently

Expect that (if you like cruising) you will have a wonderful time, and that by the end, you may be wishing Captain Mickey would make a wrong turn and sail around the Caribbean an extra week. ...
I actually wished that he would take a detour to cross the equator ... we were "so close" ( :sad2: no not that close ... but!!!)

We love the Panama Canal cruises...we have done 5 of them and will be going again in Nov and 2020 :love:. Since we love sea days, this cruise works very well for us. I can honestly say we never get bored. My daughter is in character heaven for 2 weeks; we enjoy the different menu's and entertainment; the special Disney guest speaker's; Captain Puckett; brunch and a dinner at Palo's; the spa; bingo; cooking demonstrations...and it goes on and on. Going through the canal is fascinating and they have a speaker on board throughout the passage explaining the history of the Canal. Having 2 weeks is a dream as it allows us to do things we might not do on a shorter cruise, such as going to a movie. We love the crew on the Wonder, they always have provided excellent service and made our cruises special. Enjoy your cruise!

My family has done 5 Eastbound Panama Canal Cruises. We love them! There are a lot of sea days. There is usually a special guest presenter onboard like a Disney Animator or a Disney or Pixar director. There usually is a Broadway performer from Disney on Broadway.

There are several special menus that people typically do not get to see or taste.

It is a lot easier to get a Palo reservation on the 14-night cruise.

There is a lot of bingo while we are onboard.

There is usually a special Disney chef onboard who does the Anyone Can Cook activities.

There are special events that they only do on certain cruises. For example, even though we are not on an Alaskan cruise, we get the Frozen Freezing the Night Away Deck Party.

On a Disney Panama Canal Cruise, you really get to know the cast members onboard even more than you do on a typical shorter cruise.

The cruise is so special and unique. My family will be on the Eastbound Panama Canal Cruise with you.
It will be a great cruise! Please let me know if you have any more specific questions about a Disney Panama Cruise Cruise.

We've done several.
- This one is late in the year and should be a little cooler. But the water at Cozumel and Cayman should still be a decent temp (it's gonna be COLD water in the Baja). And a jacket/cover for the evenings on deck on the Pac side would be a good idea (and after leaving Cayman).
- Sunset on the Baja side will be ~4:45. By the time you get to Cozumel, more like 6:00. So if you like sunsets but early dining, plan accordingly.
- You have many days, don't try to do everything a once. BUT. If you see something you want to do, do it. You many not get too many other chances (some events only happen once).
- Corollary to the above, try everything at least once.
- If you're the type who packs light and re-uses, plan your laundry carefully schedule carefully.
- If you see something in one of the stores you want and don't buy it right away, it's a crapshoot whether it will be available later.
- Do your OBB ASAP, it tends to get cray all of a sudden near the end (after people have had 2 weeks to book).
- Fall back is on 11/2 but be prepared to lose 3 hours as we move slowly east (1 hr/nite).
- Yes, lots to do, but bring a book. Especially quiet time reading with an adult beverage at one of the porthole tables at the Promenade Lounge.
- Do trivia. it's just plain fun.
- Definitely hit up the Crown & Fin or Cadillac after 9. Very fun places.
Love it, thank you! What is OBB?

Love it, thank you! What is OBB?

"Onboard booking" of a future cruise, for that nice discount and onboard credit. They tend to get really crowded at the end of the cruise when people suddenly realize that time is short.

We just did our first 2 week DCL on the EBTA in May and really loved it! So much that we booked the EB Panama Canal for November 2020. Two weeks is amazing. Enjoy your cruise!

Long cruises are my new fave! There are also more opportunities for character pics in different groupings; on the EBTA there was Minnie & Daisy; Mickey & Goofy; Cinderella, Perla and Suzy; and of course the Mickey & Friends gang.

My family has done 5 Eastbound Panama Canal Cruises. We love them! There are a lot of sea days. There is usually a special guest presenter onboard like a Disney Animator or a Disney or Pixar director. There usually is a Broadway performer from Disney on Broadway.

There are several special menus that people typically do not get to see or taste.

It is a lot easier to get a Palo reservation on the 14-night cruise.

There is a lot of bingo while we are onboard.

There is usually a special Disney chef onboard who does the Anyone Can Cook activities.

There are special events that they only do on certain cruises. For example, even though we are not on an Alaskan cruise, we get the Frozen Freezing the Night Away Deck Party.

On a Disney Panama Canal Cruise, you really get to know the cast members onboard even more than you do on a typical shorter cruise.

The cruise is so special and unique. My family will be on the Eastbound Panama Canal Cruise with you.
It will be a great cruise! Please let me know if you have any more specific questions about a Disney Panama Cruise Cruise.
Awesome! Thanks so much for the reply :) I'm so excited!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter