• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What should my DD wear? re: princess clothes

MomtothreeEs

I spend way too much time searching for ADRs...
For weeks I have been looking at all the cute princess stuff on Etsy. I'm sure DD won't want to wear her Rapunzel costume all day (she doesn't like the feel of it), so I'm looking at other options.

She wears tutus all the time at home. Are tutus doable at MK as far as rides? What about pillowcase dresses? Or other dresses?

The practical part of me just wants to dress her in a cotton t-shirt and shorts, but I know she will be disappointed if she sees a bunch of other little girls wearing princess dresses. Plus, of course I'd love to see my little princess dressed up all cute when she meets Rapunzel. :goodvibes

Any other tips or advice for dressing like a princess at WDW?

Tutus or dresses are fine. I always end up bringing more clothes for my girls than I do for me, they need options!

Dresses work great!

Also, you might consider a simple Rapunzel t shirt and tutu plus maybe a tiara for the princess feel but remaining comfortable and casual.

I think that fun tshirts (princess or just bedazzled and sparkly ) are a great compromise for practical purposes - paired with a tiara would be perfect! dresses are not always comfortable to sit around and sweat in....I think pillow case style allows for some more comfortable fabric selection if needed but I like to have shoulders covered to offer sun protection...

Whenever my daughter asks about other girls in their dresses I just remind her of a reason it's not a good idea...it would get dirty, it would be itchy, if she visited rapunzel While wearing a Snow White dress - rapunzel might be sad etc.... Sometimes I have to offer a consolation prize - a pin, bracelet, Mickey bar - but nothing as problematic as bringing those glittery dresses in our luggage!!!

I know she will be disappointed if she sees a bunch of other little girls wearing princess dresses

FWIW, she'll likely see a bunch of other girls wearing dresses OVER other clothes that keep the scratchiness and discomfort of the dress off of their skin.

Kohls has skorts on sale and clearance that have a cotton skirt with tulle over it, so they are practical and yet kind of look like a tutu. I picked some up for my youngest daughter, who is a total girly girl, and we got a bunch of princess, fairy, and Minnie shirts from the Disney Store to pair with them.

I am considering getting some "nightgowns" for our daughter to wear with some bike shorts under them. Some of the night gowns are just as pretty as the fancy dresses.

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-16...tangled-rapunzel-dress-up-nightgown-girls.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1609278/disney-princess-nightgown-toddler.jsp

Those 2 are at Kohls, they have some super cute stuff. Tutu like dresses and skirt sets.

Our daughter is SUPER sensitive to fabrics so she never wants to wear the costume like outfits. Custom dresses made from T-shirts are also a great option. They call them "upcycles" on Etsy if you search.

Aren't there lockers at the park entrances? I was thinking of having her change and just throw the outfit into a locker (or even my backpack...once she's worn it she won't wear it again that week). We are going 11/15 so I thought I'd take advantage of the Halloween selection in early October, but I have to confess that those long pajamas with a pair of leggings and a tiara is rather tempting too.....

When my daughter was young, I would do cotton shorts/skorts and a Disney themed shirt. I bought a Sleeping Beauty sundress for her to wear after her BBB makeover and to dinner. She was much more comfortable and looked cute.

I brought a backpack on our Magic Kingdom day because I was sure my daughters would want to change out of their princess dresses. One did but I think it was more because it was hot and she had Rapunzel's long sleeve dress but my other daughter stayed in her princess dress the entire day. (we didn't buy their dresses from Disney though because of the scratchy/comfort issue)
Bring some hair stuff (and I'm sure you'll end up buying the little tiara that almost every little girl in Disney has ;) ) and bring skorts/skirts. She'll still feel like a princess if she wants to change out of her dress

I don't know what other people do since its my first family trip to Disney next month, but for my DD's (6 and 2) I'm doing a mix of t-shirts (some that I made with Disney appliques and personalization, others that I purchased from the Disney store) and pillowcase dresses that I made with Disney fabric and logos. I figure that if DD6 sees other girls in Princess dresses and gets whiny, we'll buy her one and count it as a souvenir :)

Mine are always in dresses, I swear if I let them they would sleep in them, so Im making them dresses from Disney fabric.. Im also making skirts to match a couple of shirts I got for them. Its doubling as their summer wardrobe and since all three girls have grown ALOT over the winter time they need new summer clothing anyway. Killing two birds with one stone!

We usually put a white shirt under the dress. Last trip was really cold and it was a long sleeve shirt, and jegging under with a cardigan over top. That helps with the itchiness of the tulle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter