What Space Mountain looks like with the lights on.

We rode it one time when TTC's work lights were on. That is just enough to light up Space Mountain where you can see. It was the most terrifying Space Mountain experience of my life! I never realized how close the tracks actually get to each other until I experienced it with that little bit of light on.

This!

We took a late-nght ride on the People Mover and they had already turned the work lights on for Space Mountain. From that vantage point it looked like they had just dropped a huge pile of steel in the middle of the building. Do NOT put your arms up on Space Mountain.:eek:

We rode it one time when TTC's work lights were on. That is just enough to light up Space Mountain where you can see. It was the most terrifying Space Mountain experience of my life! I never realized how close the tracks actually get to each other until I experienced it with that little bit of light on.

Hmmm...I'm glad that it's been dark when I've been on it. I think I would have a heart attack :rotfl2:.

This!

We took a late-nght ride on the People Mover and they had already turned the work lights on for Space Mountain. From that vantage point it looked like they had just dropped a huge pile of steel in the middle of the building. Do NOT put your arms up on Space Mountain.:eek:

A friend who worked at the ride during our DCP told me there are actually metal plates that run above you. The plates are smooth and rounded whenever the imagineers believed a taller person may have put up their hands and hit the track above them. I guess the idea behind it is if you have your hands up and hit that spot it will guide your hand to a bend position instead of just snapping it off.

Anyone know a way to ride it with the lights on? Do they ever do special days or events that they offer this?

Disney's Youth Education Series (YES) has a program where you get to ride once with the lights on and again with them off. My oldest daughter got to do it this past January. She said it was really cool. My middle daughter was also taking the class, but she hates any and all roller coasters, so she skipped it. My husband, who was with them during the class, had to skip it, too, since my middle daughter didn't want to ride. He was pretty bummed about that.

Disney's Youth Education Series (YES) has a program where you get to ride once with the lights on and again with them off. My oldest daughter got to do it this past January. She said it was really cool. My middle daughter was also taking the class, but she hates any and all roller coasters, so she skipped it. My husband, who was with them during the class, had to skip it, too, since my middle daughter didn't want to ride. He was pretty bummed about that.

Which class? :drive:

Which class? :drive:

It was Properties of Motion Physics Lab 101. It's for 8-11 year-olds. My son will be eight the next time we travel as a whole family. I'm hoping they still offer it and the dates work out for us.

ETA: they also rode thunder mountain and another ride - can't recall which. I'm pretty sure they got to see some backstage stuff at Space Mountain. I'll have to ask my daughter - she'd remember.

Always felt I was going to hit my head when riding with the lights off. Only 6'2 but I feel like you can hear the other tracks wiz by your head.

Haha, same here. 6' 4 and I always hunch down. I'm always afraid I'm going to hit my head!

I recognize this picture from Reddit. They are saying now it's a picture of the Disneyland Space Mountain ride.

Yes, that is clearly the Disneyland Space Mountain interior, at the bottom of the mountain. The dark, angular structure immediately behind the track is the load/unload station.

Also, the width of the track further indicates that this is the DLR Space Mountain, which has side by side seating in a wider car (and thus provides a much smoother ride IMO).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter