• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What the DIS Has Meant to Me - 20 Years

ADP

<marquee><font color=red>I'm a huggin' fool</marqu
Hi Everyone,
With the 20th Anniversary of the DIS coming up I felt compelled to write my DIS story because it's been quite a journey. The DIS has affected my life in many ways from friendships, Disney knowledge, trips to Orlando, blogging, fitness, and even charitable meets.

Back in 1997 when I was already hooked on the Orlando theme parks and information on the Internet was not very prevalent I would search for what little information I could find. I still recall to this day stumbling across the Disboards. At the time, I felt like I hit the jackpot of Disney World information. Visiting the site hourly became my addiction. Even though my wife and I visited Orlando once a year I still couldn't help visiting the boards all the time everyday. Finding out the latest information about the parks seemed to consume my life.

Right around 2001, after getting in touch with some local friends in the Indianapolis area, we decided to meet at a local restaurant. During that meet I learned a lot more about the Disboards. A couple of board moderators were in attendance. They told me about the staff behind the Disboards and some of the workings of the boards. I found the discussion interesting and it really opened my eyes to how cool the site really is. But, more importantly, I met with people who were no longer just a board name. It was great to know people in the area who shared the passion of the parks.

Over the next several years, and after the birth of our daughter Anna, trips to Orlando became more frequent. Again, visiting the Disboards was a constant. The boards became more sophisticated and accessing the information was much easier. Visits to the boards became more than just accessing information. Chats started up and the DIS started a podcast. Listeners of the podcast and visitors of the boards became close friends of our family. Some of those visitors were local to me. We were able to connect with those new friendships face-to=face.

In 2006, after another local meet with Disboards friends, I decided to make these meets an annual event. In 2007 I rented space in a local county fairground for as many people who wanted to join could gather for a day of Disney fun and discussion. I told anyone who wanted to come to please bring a food item to share. About 35 people showed up and we had a great time. We decided we needed to continue meeting each year at the same time in the same venue.

In 2009 the DIS planned its first Podcast Cruise where our family got to meet several of the posters on the DIS and other listeners of the podcast. It was a great cruise (aren't they all) with events scheduled before and after the cruise. Before the cruise a group of us planned to raise money for Give Kids the World through a local Orlando race called the Muddy Buddy. Several of the DIS staff showed up to support us. It was a great day full of fun, meeting new people, raising money for charity, and creating new friendships. I still remember the smell of the mud like it was yesterday. I still have gifts from that day in my den at home. I knew very little about Give Kids the World at the time, but I thought it would be a great idea to incorporate Give Kids the World in our annual meet in Indianapolis. Each year we raise money for the Village.

In 2010 I began writing live trip reports on the DIS. Each day I would chronicle our Disney day on the boards with my family. I really enjoyed sharing our trips with followers. I began uploading photos and our events each day. It really helped others with their Disney trip planning. It was a year or two later when I asked the DIS if I could be a contributor to their blog. They graciously allowed me to write blogs which I really enjoyed. As I look back on writing those blogs it was one of the best experiences of my life. As life changed with me and my family, sadly, I had to discontinue writing for the DIS. Other time constraints with my wife and daughter caused me to step aside. But, I absolutely loved writing the blogs.

After the Muddy Buddy in 2009 and after my first runDisney race I began to take my health and fitness more seriously. I proceeded to get into the best shape of my life in 2011. Working out and running became my new norm. For the next 5 years I became a gym rat (8 hours a week). I loved combining my fitness and Disney obsession together through the boards and runDisney. I was doing something I never thought I could do in my life; run half and eventually a full marathon. After a long Marathon Weekend in January of 2014 Pete and the team invited me and a friend to join them in the studio to talk about runDisney and Marathon Weekend. I still can picture sitting in the studio discussing the race with Dustin, Kathy, Teresa, and others. It was really a surreal experience. Again, something I'll never forget. Although I am not in the same shape I once was I really enjoyed the 5 year "run" I had being in great shape. I know if the DIS wasn't around it wouldn't have happened.

Over the past 10 years our annual meet in Indianapolis has really taken off. It not only has become a local event, but I'd venture to say it has become regional (a true Midwest event). We love raising money for Give Kids the World. And, believe me when I tell you, our meet would not be possible without the DIS. The money being raised for Give Kids the World would not be possible without the DIS. Again, the DIS is a big part of my life and our meet in Indianapolis is a true testament of that.

Over the past 10 years I got to know a lot of people from the DIS; including Pete and team. I love calling them my friends. When I visit Orlando it's always great to see them. I know I'm not a resident of Orlando, but someday soon my family will be and I hope I can lean on them for advice and closer friendship. They've become my Orlando family. The day we move to Orlando I know I will feel like our lives have come full circle. The DIS and Orlando has had such a positive impact on my life moving to Orlando only makes sense at this point. I can't wait for the day to become a resident.

To Pete, the DIS Team, and those who have come and gone THANK YOU!! My life was, still is, and will always be impacted by the DIS in a very, very positive way. Congratulations on 20 years of not only providing great content, but changing peoples' lives. Because through the site you have done just that.

I'd love to hear other stories out there. Even if you've only been on the DIS for a month or all 20 years please post your story here. Let's reminisce about the past 20 years together.

Thanks for the trip down DIS memory lane Aaron! Hoping you, Kim and Anna are doing well.

Reactions: ADP
This is a great idea Aaron. I will reminisce a bit about my time here on the DIS. I like Aaron (and I'm sure many others) found the DIS in a very similar way. Being from the frigid north of the border it wasn't easy for me to head down to WDW as frequently as I would like. Discovering WDW in my early adulthood I felt like I had some catching up to do so my free time was spent trying to find any slice of Disney heaven I could from the confines of my desk. There were a handful of resources I would frequent but the DIS and WDW info really were my go to. It first started cycling through all the general info on the site for a bit and then I discovered the boards. It felt like an entire new world was opening up for me. You mean I'm not some strange weirdo. There are others out there that feel the same way about Disney. It was my hallelujah moment. My time was now being monopolized by this new world.

As bizarre as it may sound probably about a year into my cyber life here on the DIS I came across a thread for Disney loving singles. Think Farmers Only but the only livestock we know are Clarabelle and Bullseye. I can't recall exactly what it was called but thought this was an interesting idea. Heck, you've already got something in common with these people and it just so happens to be the one thing that seems to be monopolizing your life. It was fun chatting with people from all over about the things you love without feeling the eye rolls. It was on that very thread that I began chatting with someone not only on the boards but by private message as well. Ok, truth be told she began chatting with me. I don't want to take credit for the reach out. We realized we had a lot more in common than just Mickey bars and value resorts. After some time chatting we eventually decided to meet up for a more personal conversation. As many people know she is now my wife and it is all because of this place that Pete, John and their team had created so many years ago. For this reason alone I should be forever grateful.

I was the one in our relationship that listed to the podcast regularly. To this day she swears that I don't believe anything unless I hear it on the show. She's threatened to have them tell me things specifically just so I will remember. I wish I could remember the exact year but there was a time when the podcast team decided they were going to auction off a signed t-shirt and dinner with the team for GKTW. Seeing as we felt that we owed a debt of gratitude for bringing us together we thought, heck, let's bid on this thing. It started harmless enough. A couple hundred dollars, ok, a few hundred dollars. Whoa this guys just put it up past $1000. At this point, anyone who knows my wife knows that she doesn't like to lose. We were literally driving down the highway during the last minutes matching and raising the bids. At the end of the day the other guy happened to get his final bid in just after us at the deadline. We were slightly disappointed but knew we helped at least bring a decent amount of money in for a great cause. Shortly after the auction was over we received a message from the guys. If we wanted to match the winning bid they would offer us the same deal. Of course we jumped at the chance and were able to get the opportunity to meet the entire team and have a great dinner. Little did we know that a signed shirt and a dinner at Celebration Town Tavern would end up changing our lives. (Side note, the other gentleman who was the winning bidder has become a really great friend of ours and we have visited and travelled together on a number of occasions.)

During the aforementioned dinner there was the obligatory small talk when you're meeting people for the first time. During that conversation we of course had the "What do you do?" question. My wife, of course, was a travel agent for a brick and mortar travel agency at the time. Without getting into boring details this eventually led to an opportunity for her to join Dreams Unlimited Travel. After some discussion we decided to take the plunge to see if she could make a go of it. Needless to say (I know I'm a little biased) she has made a go and then some. I can't tell you how proud I am of how she has built her career and look forward to what the future holds. The relationships we've been able to have with the DIS and Dreams team has afforded us some amazing opportunities that I can safely say probably wouldn't have been on our radar had we not been a part of the community. We've made so many incredible friends along the way. In all seriousness our best friends in life are people that we've met through these boards or she's worked with at Dreams.

I know that's a very quick little summary but I just want to say to Pete, John and everyone we've crossed paths with along the way a sincere thank you for everything. My life has forever been changed because I stumbled across a website some 13-14 years ago. Congratulations on 20 years and we will see you all in June.

Chris

Wow Chris, great story!!! So happy you and Tracey got together. We've enjoyed knowing both of you.

Wow Chris, great story!!! So happy you and Tracey got together. We've enjoyed knowing both of you.

Thanks Jeff. Val and yourself are in that group of cherished friendships. It really is amazing how things work.

Chris covered our DIS story quite well!! I will back up a little to the time BC (before Chris). I discovered the DIS after Ben and I took our first Disney trip (just over 17 years ago--crap that is a long time!). All I could think about was getting back and I happened upon the boards. I started out on the budget boards, those early trips were just Ben and I and to say we had a small budget would be an understatement. The tricks I learned...getting free water and bringing powdered drink crystals, ordering a double burger and extra bun!! Remember the old meal vouchers? A very nice DIS'er ordered them and sent them to us. As Ben's needs were changing, the DISabilities board became an invaluable resource for us and resulted in many amazing trips. The DIS singles thread is where I met the love of my life, by now you have heard that story! Then when we were planning our Disney Wedding (where else would it be!), the wedding boards helped with everything we needed to plan the most perfect day ever. I know at least 2 other couples who met and married from the boards as well!

I never could have imagined in those early years how much the DIS would become a part of my life. Not only professionally, but personally. We have met so many amazing friends over the years. Many we consider family...a big ole DISfunctional family!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter