What they've taken away

Our 'add-on' for our Disney vacation was not a dessert party, etc, but a few nights at Universal.

It's not Disney.

But it's not Six Flags either.

Ride theming was a bit cheesy (not as good as Disney), but at least we were surprised by some theming (unlike Six Flags).

However, Harry Potter showed us what Pandora & Galaxies Edge could have been. It was both immersive & impressive. We are looking forward to the new Park by Universal, Epic.

This^^^^^^

Disney has taken away great theming for lackluster experiences. I was so disappointed in Pandora I wanted them to fire all the imagineers who worked on that project. If they build one more boat ride through a boring scene I'm going to scream!!! How many boat rides, car rides, clam shell rides, you name it rides through a scene can you build? GEESH!! We do not need any more of those type of rides at Disney. Please IMAGINE something else.

You can add Minnie Vans to the list, unless they have returned and I somehow missed the news.

It's becoming a pretty long list -- and, sadly I'm afraid, a good many aren't likely to return any time soon.

Oh, and the park to park service they had for awhile, like 5 years ago. Where you paid, and hopped a bus to another park, leaving and entering through the back. That was worth every penny...

This^^^^^^

Disney has taken away great theming for lackluster experiences. I was so disappointed in Pandora I wanted them to fire all the imagineers who worked on that project. If they build one more boat ride through a boring scene I'm going to scream!!! How many boat rides, car rides, clam shell rides, you name it rides through a scene can you build? GEESH!! We do not need any more of those type of rides at Disney. Please IMAGINE something else.

Yes! Just went to Pandora for the first time in July. Waited in line for over an hour for Navi River Journey. Kept waiting for the "wow" moment or something cool to happen. It didn't. It's a good ride for little kids but even slower than Small World. Didn't get to ride Flight of Passage because the line remained at almost two hours and quite frankly, we had no more energy to wait that long. We went to see it because we had never been. I was not super impressed and still don't understand why that world is there in the first place.

I'm a mom and the family planner. When wheels went up at Midway, I was on vacation. Luggage, transport, scheduling, cleaning-- all done and set. I've been an absolute defender of wdw and on-site hotels, but this is the point of no return.
They've made a ton of money during covid. There's no excuse. None.

This. I used to feel that as I was the one who took care of making my family’s vacation experience smooth and secure, Disney was the place that made mine smooth and secure.

No more. And now that we’re reaching an age where DD doesn’t have/want to vacation with me every time, I wish I could say Disney would still be my go-to, so I can be in the zone. But there are other all-inclusive resorts and even other experiences to be had. And I’ll have to think about that when deciding how to spend my money and time.

EDITED: I'm adding what folks pointed out from the posts below!
Let me try to tally everything taken away while ticket and hotel prices continue to rise:

1. Free hotel parking for guests
2. Daily housekeeping (or the option to forego for gift cards)
3. Fast Pass and the advance planning it allowed
4. Day-of choice of which park to attend
5. Extra Magic Hours (morning AND evening)
6. Park Hopping when you want to
7. Magical Express
8. Dining plan
9. Street entertainment (like Citizens of Hollywood)
-------Below from all of your comments-----
10. Free Magic Bands (and the fun box with the luggage tags!)
11. Resort entertainment in lounges, lobbies, and restaurants
12. Nighttime shows like Fantasmic!
13. Resort luggage check-in
14. Daily cross-park locker rentals
15. Full access to pools (longer hours) and facilities (showers, etc)
16. Full Parades
17. Tours and affordable add-ons
18. Character meet-n-greets in lines, at restaurants; photos
19. Resort package delivery
20. Parking lot trams
21. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom (how could I forget? We loved it!)
22. Some boat services and monorail routes
23. Minnie vans
24. Park-to-park transportation service
25. Hoop de Doo Musical Review at FW
'
What else am I missing? I'm so mad about Genie+ but really it's just the straw that is breaking the camel's back. I'm a mom and the family planner. When wheels went up at Midway, I was on vacation. Luggage, transport, scheduling, cleaning-- all done and set. I've been an absolute defender of wdw and on-site hotels, but this is the point of no return.
They've made a ton of money during covid. There's no excuse. None.
You should send this to Disney! When you see it all listed like this it really is so discouraging. I have a trip in October and I haven’t booked our rooms or offsite condo yet. I’m having a hard time justifying the on-site cost with so little benefit. 😕

How about the Osbourne Christmas lights?

And when I was there in April, I couldn't find park maps at the front desk of my resort. I ended up grabbing them at guest relations in Disney Springs; of course, this was after I had visited the parks and never thought about getting a set while there (sigh...).

Great list! I think this really shows why I am so angry about Genie. They keep taking things away and now want to add back one thing, FPS, AND make us pay for it. If all the things I loved were still there for free, and then they asked me to pay $15 more, that’s one thing. But they already took away many favorites and added fees, like parking and airport transportation, and now they want even more money from me for less!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter