• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What they've taken away

I was watching some of the Give Kids the World performances from the DIS Family Reunion this past couple of days and it was enjoyable to see some of the street performers from Epcot like Sergio. I then was looking and I found this list of performances currently missing from Disney World: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/unavailable-entertainment/
Pretty sad when you think about it.

I'm not sure why on earth fast pass "advance planning" being taken away would be listed as a negative. Who the heck enjoyed having to pick three attractions months in advance of a trip, combined with trying to work those around 6 month dining reservations, and all that nonsense. Did people really like the old way? I thought it sucked.
We liked it. We took two week trips, so it meant that we never waited in a line. Every attraction was done via fastpass. Those days are shone now.

I'm so glad that we went to Disney when my daughter was little. We stayed in the Disney hotels, got free Magical Express, got the DDP on bounceback offers, did just about every buffet, character meal, experience, stayed late in MK eating hotdogs at Casey's Corner, park hopped like crazy, and had a great time.

But now Disney no longer offers anything that makes those trips worthwhile for me - no Magical Express, parking charges just about everywhere, having to plan and plan and plan, increased costs for food and drink, high costs for merchandise, no Extra hours for staying at Disney hotels, greatly overpriced special events like the Halloween party, etc.

And even before all these recent cuts, we had decided that Disney was no longer for us. Our last trip we did a split between Disney and Universal and Universal came out on top in just about every aspect. Cheaper passes, cheaper hotels, easy to get from hotel into the parks, the merchandise was noticeably cheaper than Disney, lots of street entertainment and little shows everywhere. It all just felt so much more relaxed and fun. We did go to DT Disney and shopped around a little and explored.

Future trips to Orlando are going to be Universal Studios, spending $300 for a two-park seasonal pass that will let me go into the parks most dates for an entire year, nicely themed hotels and good transportation, etc.

EDITED: I'm adding what folks pointed out from the posts below!
Let me try to tally everything taken away while ticket and hotel prices continue to rise:

1. Free hotel parking for guests
2. Daily housekeeping (or the option to forego for gift cards)
3. Fast Pass and the advance planning it allowed
4. Day-of choice of which park to attend
5. Extra Magic Hours (morning AND evening)
6. Park Hopping when you want to
7. Magical Express
8. Dining plan
9. Street entertainment (like Citizens of Hollywood)
-------Below from all of your comments-----
10. Free Magic Bands (and the fun box with the luggage tags!)
11. Resort entertainment in lounges, lobbies, and restaurants
12. Nighttime shows like Fantasmic!
13. Resort luggage check-in
14. Daily cross-park locker rentals
15. Full access to pools (longer hours) and facilities (showers, etc)
16. Full Parades
17. Tours and affordable add-ons
18. Character meet-n-greets in lines, at restaurants; photos
19. Resort package delivery
20. Parking lot trams
21. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom (how could I forget? We loved it!)
22. Some boat services and monorail routes
23. Minnie vans
24. Park-to-park transportation service
25. Hoop de Doo Musical Review at FW
'
What else am I missing? I'm so mad about Genie+ but really it's just the straw that is breaking the camel's back. I'm a mom and the family planner. When wheels went up at Midway, I was on vacation. Luggage, transport, scheduling, cleaning-- all done and set. I've been an absolute defender of wdw and on-site hotels, but this is the point of no return.
They've made a ton of money during covid. There's no excuse. None.
A whole theme park: Typhoon Lagoon. Maybe it will reopen someday? After this long with no timeline and no communication (no excuse for that), I consider it “taken away”.

When people say "live entertainment" and the ambience they foster, for us, that means a LOT at Epcot. Besides the Jammitors in FW, most of the WS countries had entertainment that added a great deal to the experience. How many of these have been brought back or replaced with different live entertainment?
  • Mariachi band in Mexico
  • Frozen characters & holiday storytellers in Norway
  • Acrobats in China
  • Oompah folk musicians in Germany
  • Living statues in Italy
  • Fife & Drum and Liberty singers in America
  • Candy-making artist in Japan
  • Dancers & Musicians in Morocco
  • Mime in France
  • Comedy troupe in the UK
  • Musicians/band in Canada
  • Characters from Disney classics in their home countries
Significantly, for us, really disappointed by the loss of a GREAT VIEW across the WS lake due to those colossal black barges. :sad2:

The WS country pavilions are beautiful and the landscaping is lovely - used to be our favorite area in all of WDW. There are a small handful of attractions in WS but without the cultural nod of live entertainment, it seems more like a collection of expensive shops and restaurants... which would normally not charge $25 for parking plus $110+ admission fee. FW still has large sections blocked off and attractions closed or under construction, which limits our interest in spending time in FW. With so much of the live entertainment missing, even the festivals don't seem as festive or appealing. Too bad, So sad. Not worth it for us.

Not to be ugly, but I call BS on those first two (on them, not you). I don’t think Disney cares at all about crowding. And I don’t think they care how much planning anyone has to do. I think any posturing they do WRT those are directly a result of the third one. Genie isn’t there to help the non-planner, it’s there to facilitate all these new micro transactions (“mini money grabs”) IN THE MOMENT! Many folks who plan ahead of time (packages, dining plan, etc.) do that so they can pre-pay and end their vacation without a big bill. Disney wants to let you keep paying for stuff up front but THEN take advantage of that “vacation mode” to the max…beyond “ah what the heck, get that second Dole whip” to “well heck, let’s just drop $100+ and skip that line!” Repeat for every headliner in every park. Plus the $15/ticket/day to use FP. I’ll be shocked if something doesn’t also emerge soon for upgraded fireworks viewing, etc.

Again, I know they SAY that, I just don’t believe it.I hope I’m wrong.
Your comment about taking advantage of vacation mode is an interesting point.

......and yet......we still throw our money at the mouse. The cut backs will never end, since CEO Bob Chapek follows the "world-class yield management" business model (his exact words) rather than "world-class customer service"! He doesn't care if we come back, as a new cluster of suckers will replace us with open wallets, eager to pay $1000 extra for an after-hours holiday party, then get fed up, not come back, and get replaced by yet ANOTHER sucker family. It will go on, and on, and on.....

Polynesian Luau
Halloween Carriage Rides with Headless Horseman

In fairness, I don't think that things that you paid for should count.

Personally, I am pissed that Fuddruckers went out of business (not to mention Ludy's). But I don't think yelling into the air about it will do any good. Things will always close down, but that's not the same as charging you for it but lowering the value of what you pay for.

Yee-Haw Bob. I don't know of he will be back.

The Luau at the Poly.

Grand Floridian Society Orchestra

Jellyrolls...still closed with no reopening date

I still miss Pleasure Island

Yee-Haw Bob is coming back.

Luau was something you paid for. Jellyrolls too....

Pleasure Island.... how do those equate to taking things away? The mall near me closed due to covid. One of my favorite stores shut down. Some of my all time favorite places to eat shut down. As I mentioned earlier, that's not removing value and charging the same. That's stores and things closing. If you don't like that, you need to be spending your money there; not boycotting it. That's the only way places stay around.... they make enough money to be worth it.

Yes...all of these.... but the one I'm saddest about is #9- and not just the Citizens....the free atmosphere shows that used to be everywhere all over property. I spent a lot of years just enjoying that aspect while my fam enjoyed the rides etc.
I am right there with you...LOVED the impromptu skits that they put on in DHS....."a XXXXX walked into a bar and said"......Les Manly, Jack Diamond, all of the other great comedians that had such a quick wit....all gone, probably forever. Wonder if they were able to place those wonderful people in other jobs within WDW....hope I recognize some of them on my January visit. Sooooo sad....

I was watching some of the Give Kids the World performances from the DIS Family Reunion this past couple of days and it was enjoyable to see some of the street performers from Epcot like Sergio. I then was looking and I found this list of performances currently missing from Disney World: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/unavailable-entertainment/
Pretty sad when you think about it.
Wow, what a depressing list. Does anyone think major shows like Fantasmic will ever return? It was the highlight of my day at DHS. Will so miss it next trip. FOTLK is back though, correct? But not Voyage of the Little Mermaid? How about the raptor show in AK? Just not the same and probably never will be. Definitely will affect my decision to buy an AP after my current one expires. No more Photopass with the AP. Just parking and discounts. Will have to do the math.

My last trip was in 2017, was an underwhelming flop, and we decided we were done then. In the intervening pre-pandemic years we have kayaked with orcas in the Johnstone Strait, explored Rome, Pompeii and Positano, had an unexpected day in Copenhagen visiting Tívoli Gardens (talk about historic theme parks), and seen the sights of Paris and London (Versailles, Jardín D’ Acclimatation and Stonehenge being highlights).

I‘ve paid almost no attention to Disney at all until the recent announcements and WOW. Why would ANYONE want to spend even more money for what you’re currently getting. It was bad enough in 2017 now that’s like the good ole days! I remember my trips from the mid-90s which were TRULY magical. THAT place has been gone for a long, loooong time. What was in its place was just boriing and not worth it and now they’ve stomped on that as well. Good luck to all who continue to go. I hope you find some value for your money there although I suspect you’re just coasting on memories.

My last trip was in 2017, was an underwhelming flop, and we decided we were done then. In the intervening pre-pandemic years we have kayaked with orcas in the Johnstone Strait, explored Rome, Pompeii and Positano, had an unexpected day in Copenhagen visiting Tívoli Gardens (talk about historic theme parks), and seen the sights of Paris and London (Versailles, Jardín D’ Acclimatation and Stonehenge being highlights).

I‘ve paid almost no attention to Disney at all until the recent announcements and WOW. Why would ANYONE want to spend even more money for what you’re currently getting. It was bad enough in 2017 now that’s like the good ole days! I remember my trips from the mid-90s which were TRULY magical. THAT place has been gone for a long, loooong time. What was in its place was just boriing and not worth it and now they’ve stomped on that as well. Good luck to all who continue to go. I hope you find some value for your money there although I suspect you’re just coasting on memories.

So, you’ve had all of these amazing adventures and stopped paying attention, but decided to come on here and just say how disappointing everything is? I would think if I lived on from something, the last thing I would want to do is pop in just to comment that I moved on, 4 years in the future.

I have been going to WDW since the 80s. Since both DH and I have relatives in FL, we have gone 20+ times (lost track). We were supposed to go this month for my birthday, but between Covid and the diminished experience, decided not to go. I am going to wait and see how this all plays out - but I probably won't be staying on Disney property again (and we always stayed on property). I can hope that they price themselves too far out of the market and have to offer good discounts, but again, we will see.
The great thing about Disney is that my DH is not a thrill ride person and we can go on so many attractions together at WDW (and he can people watch when DD and I go on Splash or TOT :)). In the meantime, I am going to explore other places where the whole family can have a good time.

So, you’ve had all of these amazing adventures and stopped paying attention, but decided to come on here and just say how disappointing everything is? I would think if I lived on from something, the last thing I would want to do is pop in just to comment that I moved on, 4 years in the future.
Yeah, so? Is that not allowed? I said the news about Genie made me think about Disney again. I came back here after learning about it and was shocked by the stuff that‘s now gone. Sorry if your sensibilities are offended.

And yeah, I’ve had some amazing vacations. Anyone can if they stop flushing money down the Disney toilet.

When people say "live entertainment" and the ambience they foster, for us, that means a LOT at Epcot. Besides the Jammitors in FW, most of the WS countries had entertainment that added a great deal to the experience. How many of these have been brought back or replaced with different live entertainment?
  • Mariachi band in Mexico
  • Frozen characters & holiday storytellers in Norway
  • Acrobats in China
  • Oompah folk musicians in Germany
  • Living statues in Italy
  • Fife & Drum and Liberty singers in America
  • Candy-making artist in Japan
  • Dancers & Musicians in Morocco
  • Mime in France
  • Comedy troupe in the UK
  • Musicians/band in Canada
  • Characters from Disney classics in their home countries
Significantly, for us, really disappointed by the loss of a GREAT VIEW across the WS lake due to those colossal black barges. :sad2:

The WS country pavilions are beautiful and the landscaping is lovely - used to be our favorite area in all of WDW. There are a small handful of attractions in WS but without the cultural nod of live entertainment, it seems more like a collection of expensive shops and restaurants... which would normally not charge $25 for parking plus $110+ admission fee. FW still has large sections blocked off and attractions closed or under construction, which limits our interest in spending time in FW. With so much of the live entertainment missing, even the festivals don't seem as festive or appealing. Too bad, So sad. Not worth it for us.
I don't even know how or if I could name the person - but I have a great memory and video of a CM singing and playing guitar while we waited in some line in DAK. He made up a song on the spot about our (then) 2 year old that the (now) 8 year old watches endlessly. It's the little things that matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter