• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What time do you go to bed?

margot31

DIS Veteran
So hubby is running the half marathon in Jan. We have a family suite booked for Friday-sunday. Today he thought to see if we could extend a day on our discount....nope. I am considering the idea that maybe we just get a regular room and work with that. i have two little ones (4 & 2) we generally put them to bed around 7. Hubby also found out he needs to pick his bib up before 7pm on friday. Which I figured he would just go to bed when we put the kids to bed. As far me....well i can figure something out. But just wondering in general what time do you go to bed before a run?

Ideally, I like to be in the bed by 8 to be resting at least and will really start powering down soon after that. Rarely does that actually happen. Honestly if I had the kids with me for races, I would be more likely to get a decent amount of sleep because I do tend to go to bed earlier with them around. Sitting quiet in a dark room helps that lol.

When we are just at Disney and all in the same room, my kids' bedtime gets pushed a little later to 7:30 - 8 and I fall asleep shortly after they do.

I like to get up early, like 2-ish (about the time that @K**ls is going to sleep).

I make no attempt to get 8 hours of sleep. Some people try to go to bed really early to make up for the early getting up time. In my experience, that just means you toss and turn.

So bed by 9-10, up by 2-4, power nap later in the day if scheduling allows.

And if you imbibe, the correct amount can be key.

I like to get up early, like 2-ish (about the time that @K**ls is going to sleep).

I make no attempt to get 8 hours of sleep. Some people try to go to bed really early to make up for the early getting up time. In my experience, that just means you toss and turn.

So bed by 9-10, up by 2-4, power nap later in the day if scheduling allows.

And if you imbibe, the correct amount can be key.

I love that the DIS thinks my name is a swear. :rotfl2:

Assuming that you were trying to extend on the front end, to get the extra rest time up front. If he’s new to the distance or just to runDisney events there are a couple of things to consider. From your post there are some details that might be helpful that are missing. Based on what I am guessing, i’ll add a couple of points.

- First point is a short sleep or restless night before a race is usually not a big deal. It is better to get good rest on the day or two before more than that pre-race night.

- Not sure of your travel to the resort but if you will have extended time in the car or on a plane that can tighten up the legs. If you will be sitting for a while he might want to loosen the legs after arriving.

- The expo can be more time consuming and more walking than planned. The expo is spread out over a couple of buildings. You don’t have to visit all of the booths but some people like to and coupled with travel back and forth to the expo this can become an event itself. (It sounds like he has previously done race day pickup which is usally related to a much smaller event.)

If he is a seasoned runner and the race is just an experience then none of this probably matters. But if he is newer to running, looking for a PR here are some considerations. The WDW expo can get busy after work hours as locals are dropping in to do packet pickup. If it is an option to get there a little earlier than 7 it will be helpful. If travel allows and you can get to the resort just drop the bags and head to the expo. He can also take some time in the afternoon to get in a blow out run to loosen the legs from the travel.

Historically I try to shoot for getting to bed around 7 but usually make it about 8-9.

Have fun and hope he has a good race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter