What tips/tricks would you give to first time visitor?

disney-inspired

Disney on the brain 24/7/365!
Hello!

I'm going to Universal Studios/ IOA in September with my sister. I consider it my first trip because I only went for a partial day in May last year.
This will be my sister's real first trip though.

Here are our stats for the trip
- Staying 4 days at Aventura
- Ride weenies - we don't really like roller coasters, just not our thing. For reference, we do Big Thunder and Space at WDW/DL and I've done Everest (never again) but no RNRC. We're fine with simulators and dark rides just speed and real drops bother us.
- Not planning on buying express pass. Do you think we'll need it for that time of year?
- Trying to do this on the cheap so planning for quick service meals but if something is really great, wouldn't be opposed to spending the $$

What advice or recommendations would you give a total newbie?

Thank you!

Last edited:
How many days? What types of rides do you like? Thrill or no thrill? Do you like eating at nicer places or just counter service? Will you be staying at a hotel where you get express pass or buying one separate?

How many days?
4 days

What types of rides do you like? Thrill or no thrill?
We are definitely not real roller coaster fans. I've done Flight of the Hippogriff and I'm planning on us doing Escape from Gringotts but definitely no Velocicoaster.

Do you like eating at nicer places or just counter service?

Since we're doing this on the cheap, we're looking at mostly counter service. I did make a reservation for Cowfish.

Will you be staying at a hotel where you get express pass or buying one separate?

We're staying at Aventura and I didn't have plans on buying the express pass. I was looking at historical wait times for early September and it looks pretty quiet, of course pandemic may have changed this but I was referring to TP's wait times from Sept 2021.

I knew I was missing vital information! I'll edit my original post to include that too.

If either one of you are Harry Potter fans, you can go through the line for the Forbidden Journey without riding it. The line takes you through different parts of Hogwarts and it's incredible. I'm a ride coward as well and Forbidden Journey is about my limit for ride intensity. The places I listed for food are the most memorable/enjoyable meals I had during my last trip. I can't remember any meals that were awful/major disappointments.

Universal for Ride Cowards:
Minion Mayhem
ET
King Kong
Jimmy Fallon
Men in Black
Hogwarts Express (ride both ways if you have Park Hoppers, because it is different)
Suessland rides (Rides themed to Dr. Suess)
Poseidon's Fury is okay, but there is one really cool part in it.
Forbidden Journey
Kodos and Kang

Places to Eat (in the Parks and City Walk):
BumbleBee Man's Tacco Truck (Universal Studios)
Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream (Universal Studios)
Banana ICEE near King Kong ride (Islands of Adventure)
Mythos (Islands of Adventure)
NBC Sports Grill & Brew (City Walk)
Toothsome (City Walk)

If either one of you are Harry Potter fans, you can go through the line for the Forbidden Journey without riding it. The line takes you through different parts of Hogwarts and it's incredible. I'm a ride coward as well and Forbidden Journey is about my limit for ride intensity. The places I listed for food are the most memorable/enjoyable meals I had during my last trip. I can't remember any meals that were awful/major disappointments.

Universal for Ride Cowards:
Minion Mayhem
ET
King Kong
Jimmy Fallon
Men in Black
Hogwarts Express (ride both ways if you have Park Hoppers, because it is different)
Suessland rides (Rides themed to Dr. Suess)
Poseidon's Fury is okay, but there is one really cool part in it.
Forbidden Journey
Kodos and Kang

Places to Eat (in the Parks and City Walk):
BumbleBee Man's Tacco Truck (Universal Studios)
Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream (Universal Studios)
Banana ICEE near King Kong ride (Islands of Adventure)
Mythos (Islands of Adventure)
NBC Sports Grill & Brew (City Walk)
Toothsome (City Walk)

Thanks!
I want to try Forbidding Journey at least once to see if I could handle it. It's not a coaster so I think I'd be okay.

We were there for 2 days in November before Disney stayed at Portofino which gave us early entry and express pass and we bought 2 day park to park tickets. We had CS meals at Today Cafe, Mel’s Diner, and Richter’s Burgers and 1 TS early dinner at Finnegan’s we did not make a reservation. We are ride wimps as well do not go on coasters or anything with a drop but are fine on motion simulators and loved the ones there. We heard Forbidden Journey and Simpsons are more intense so wore the prescription patch just in case. We also saw some of shows.

You can do everything you want to do without express if you are skipping hagrid/velocicoaster.
If you have 4 days you’ll do everything with plenty of re-rides. My biggest tips would be to minimize movement around the parks to avoid wearing yourself out. For studios I would rope drop and head to gringots then work back out to MIB and swing through simpsons and transformers then hop to ET. Pick up Despicable Me in the afternoon and Bourne. Late afternoon early Eve hit jimmy Fallon and fast and furious and end up in diagon alley again for the rest of the night.

Day 2 get to islands early and be first across the bridge to spider man then up through toon lagoon. Hit the water rides if you want but you will get soaked especially on Dudley. Do Kong then Jurassic River. In the afternoon hit forbidden journey then check out hogsmeade. Hit Lost Temple in late afternoon with an early dinner at mythos. Check out Seus after then head back to hogsmeade for the later show.

Day 3 and 4 slow down and take the shows and pictures - re ride what you want and hang out. Soak up the potter stuff and do some shopping. Grab a Voodoo Donut or two. But just slow down and have fun and relax more.

RELAX. As a WDW family, I had the hardest time with our first trip to Universal because I really couldn’t grasp the fact that I could relax. Now, even though I enjoy planning Disney trips, I find myself enjoying Universal more just because it’s more back.

You don't have to mega plan. Make a few reservations for dinner.

Also for Counter service.
Thunder Falls
Leaky Cauldron
Bread Box (Service can be slow but the food is good.
Try the Ice Cream in Diagon Alley. Different Flavors but so good. Clotted Cream is a personal favorite.

Aventura has a lovely pool and just steps away from Sapphire falls. You can go take the boat to/from the park at Sapphire Falls or the bus from Aventura. I highly recommend Strong Water Tavern. Hopefully the food Court service at Aventura has gotten better. Last time we went we couldn't find any team members to help us. Then again Hotel had only been open for a month. So I grade them on a scale. There is a great full service Starbucks.. And If you want to go to Volcano Bay It's literally a short walk. Also Aventura has early entry to the Harry Potter areas. Take advantage of this.

With four days, I would defintely recommend a resort day to hang out at the pool. Also check with the front desk and see if you can pool hop. Cabana Bay is across the street as well as the proximity to Sapphire Falls. I would also recommend going to the top floor of Adventura to see the spectacular views. There's a bar up there. I enjoyed it and my summer sangria. But others haven't been impressed and if you don't like cocktails this is a missable thing. But do go up and see the view.

Last edited:
Hello!

I'm going to Universal Studios/ IOA in September with my sister. I consider it my first trip because I only went for a partial day in May last year.
This will be my sister's real first trip though.

Here are our stats for the trip
- Staying 4 days at Aventura
- Ride weenies - we don't really like roller coasters, just not our thing. For reference, we do Big Thunder and Space at WDW/DL and I've done Everest (never again) but no RNRC. We're fine with simulators and dark rides just speed and real drops bother us.
- Not planning on buying express pass. Do you think we'll need it for that time of year?
- Trying to do this on the cheap so planning for quick service meals but if something is really great, wouldn't be opposed to spending the $$

What advice or recommendations would you give a total newbie?

Thank you!
Hey,
We've stayed twice now at Aventura, and had very nice experiences. The rooms are kinda small/tight, but not all that bad. A lot more storage area than we expected. My husband got a bowl from the downstairs QS on each trip, and he said it was good, better than expected. My son got a cheese pizza, nothing special, but glad to have the options there. THere's a microwave and toaster in that lobby eating area also. Was glad to see that , used the microwave a couple of times. Wish the rooms had one. Room has a single serve coffee pot, NOT a Keurig. and a fridge.
We walked several times to the parks/CW, but also used the boats from Sapphire falls and Royal Pacific. The walking path TO the parks goes by RP, so a few times, we were passing and saw the boats, so just got on there. Took bus back once, and also walked back. walk back was longer, and preferred boat to SF for coming back.
September is typically a rainy month. Unpredictable Florida weather for sure, but be prepared for hot, humid, and wet. Outdoor rides may close if weather is bad/lightning in the area, etc.
We REALLY enjoyed Cow Fish this last trip, and appetizers were reasonably priced.
I enjoyed green eggs/ham tots, DH and kids really enjoyed Thunder Falls Terrace. I enjoyed NBC Cafe, and we have had good enough meals at Finnegan's.
Love frozen and hot butterbeer, and getting ice cream at Florian's.
I used to think Forbidden Journey was the best ride in Orlando. it's still incredible, but it makes me so, so nauseous. The queue is AWESOME!. You'll probably want to go through it a few times to see all the details. I think next trip, I'll just do the queue, and get out of line at the end. It's a cool ride though, just too much for me.
I totally agree that it's a lot less planning than WDW, but still have a plan. Like know what rides you may want to skip, get the app, get familiar with the app, look over wait times before the trip, just to see the trends. Also good to have alternate plans if something unexpected happens. Like if the planned rope drop line is down, or whatever. We definitely still rope drop though, and take big advantage of early entry. Can get a lot done then. and Diagon and Hogsmeade are so nice in the mornings (and evenings.)
There are So, SO many great threads, and advice in the forums. We've had 2 wonderful trips in the past several months, and I learned so, so much here.

RELAX. As a WDW family, I had the hardest time with our first trip to Universal because I really couldn’t grasp the fact that I could relax. Now, even though I enjoy planning Disney trips, I find myself enjoying Universal more just because it’s more back.
I'm having the same issue - I'm the one who plans everything for WDW so it's definitely a hard switch to turn off.

You don't have to mega plan. Make a few reservations for dinner.

Also for Counter service.
Thunder Falls
Leaky Cauldron
Bread Box (Service can be slow but the food is good.
Try the Ice Cream in Diagon Alley. Different Flavors but so good. Clotted Cream is a personal favorite.

Aventura has a lovely pool and just steps away from Sapphire falls. You can go take the boat to/from the park at Sapphire Falls or the bus from Aventura. I highly recommend Strong Water Tavern. Hopefully the food Court service at Aventura has gotten better. Last time we went we couldn't find any team members to help us. Then again Hotel had only been open for a month. So I grade them on a scale. There is a great full service Starbucks.. And If you want to go to Volcano Bay It's literally a short walk. Also Aventura has early entry to the Harry Potter areas. Take advantage of this.

With four days, I would defintely recommend a resort day to hang out at the pool. Also check with the front desk and see if you can pool hop. Cabana Bay is across the street as well as the proximity to Sapphire Falls. I would also recommend going to the top floor of Adventura to see the spectacular views. There's a bar up there. I enjoyed it and my summer sangria. But others haven't been impressed and if you don't like cocktails this is a missable thing. But do go up and see the view.

Thank you for the suggestions!
I've seen multiple articles/videos about how pool-hopping is allowed (unless you're staying at endless summer). We'll probably check out the lazy river at Cabana Bay since it's so close.
I think one of our days will be half day or morning only in the parks and then we'll spend the rest of the day at the pool.

Hey,
We've stayed twice now at Aventura, and had very nice experiences. The rooms are kinda small/tight, but not all that bad. A lot more storage area than we expected. My husband got a bowl from the downstairs QS on each trip, and he said it was good, better than expected. My son got a cheese pizza, nothing special, but glad to have the options there. THere's a microwave and toaster in that lobby eating area also. Was glad to see that , used the microwave a couple of times. Wish the rooms had one. Room has a single serve coffee pot, NOT a Keurig. and a fridge.
We walked several times to the parks/CW, but also used the boats from Sapphire falls and Royal Pacific. The walking path TO the parks goes by RP, so a few times, we were passing and saw the boats, so just got on there. Took bus back once, and also walked back. walk back was longer, and preferred boat to SF for coming back.
September is typically a rainy month. Unpredictable Florida weather for sure, but be prepared for hot, humid, and wet. Outdoor rides may close if weather is bad/lightning in the area, etc.
We REALLY enjoyed Cow Fish this last trip, and appetizers were reasonably priced.
I enjoyed green eggs/ham tots, DH and kids really enjoyed Thunder Falls Terrace. I enjoyed NBC Cafe, and we have had good enough meals at Finnegan's.
Love frozen and hot butterbeer, and getting ice cream at Florian's.
I used to think Forbidden Journey was the best ride in Orlando. it's still incredible, but it makes me so, so nauseous. The queue is AWESOME!. You'll probably want to go through it a few times to see all the details. I think next trip, I'll just do the queue, and get out of line at the end. It's a cool ride though, just too much for me.
I totally agree that it's a lot less planning than WDW, but still have a plan. Like know what rides you may want to skip, get the app, get familiar with the app, look over wait times before the trip, just to see the trends. Also good to have alternate plans if something unexpected happens. Like if the planned rope drop line is down, or whatever. We definitely still rope drop though, and take big advantage of early entry. Can get a lot done then. and Diagon and Hogsmeade are so nice in the mornings (and evenings.)
There are So, SO many great threads, and advice in the forums. We've had 2 wonderful trips in the past several months, and I learned so, so much here.

The reason I decided to upgrade from Endless Summer to Aventura was primarily for the closer transportation to the parks. Last year we took the bus from Dockside Inn and that was one heck of a walk just to get to the main gate. As someone who has mobility issues (so much better than I was last year though), I definitely want to take advantage of Sapphire Falls' boat.

I've heard a lot of good things about Green Eggs & Ham so hopefully it's open when we go. Frozen butter beer will be a must in Sept. heat!

OP, just wanted to mention a couple of things, as I am not a coaster person either! Forbidden Journey was awful for me and I will never ride it again.
However, at the studios, Gringotts was fabulous! It's a fun, exciting ride and I didn't get sick at all on it. It is one of my favorites at Universal and not to be missed. The queue itself is so immersive, and the ride is incredible in it's design.
s omeone mentioned doing the Simpson's ride, but I would not recommend that one. Motion sickness is something I don't want to have, so we skip that one. That ride is known to cause motion sickness.
Those 2 are the only ones I would avoid, but everyone is different. I know you will have a great time at Universal:)

A couple questions:

-On the app; is there a way to see the wait times without tapping on each ride?

-Are the wait time accurate (more so than at DW)?

-looking at a couple posts above, if staying for 4-6 days mid August, is express pass not really necessary? We're looking at staying onsite and the top tier hotels just for this, but obviously more pricey.

Thanks!!

A couple questions:

-On the app; is there a way to see the wait times without tapping on each ride?

-Are the wait time accurate (more so than at DW)?

-looking at a couple posts above, if staying for 4-6 days mid August, is express pass not really necessary? We're looking at staying onsite and the top tier hotels just for this, but obviously more pricey.

Thanks!!

Great questions - thanks for adding on!

OP, just wanted to mention a couple of things, as I am not a coaster person either! Forbidden Journey was awful for me and I will never ride it again.
However, at the studios, Gringotts was fabulous! It's a fun, exciting ride and I didn't get sick at all on it. It is one of my favorites at Universal and not to be missed. The queue itself is so immersive, and the ride is incredible in it's design.
s omeone mentioned doing the Simpson's ride, but I would not recommend that one. Motion sickness is something I don't want to have, so we skip that one. That ride is known to cause motion sickness.
Those 2 are the only ones I would avoid, but everyone is different. I know you will have a great time at Universal:)
What made Forbidden Journey bad for you? Was it motion sickness?
I'm trying to be prepared but would like to give every ride (at least non-coaster) a try. I'm going in with motion sickness meds just in case.

I'm trying to be prepared but would like to give every ride (at least non-coaster) a try.
I really think this is key. I would try everything that isn't an obvious "no."

What is bad about coasters for you? I would consider adding Hagrids to the "try" list near the end of the trip as you're feeling braver. Start in the sidecar for a more secure feel. Unless speed and acceleration are the bigger problems - but it doesn't have much for height so don't write it off for that.

I'm imagining Dr Doom drop tower is also a "no" for you despite being not a coaster. Also maybe the Dudley Doright flume? My height/drop-wimp friend does Hagrids but refuses to get on Dudley. Although she semi-reluctantly does Jurassic Park river adventure despite it having the bigger drop, just because she likes the rest of the ride.

But really, unless you look at a ride and it is a straight-up "no," give it a try & judge for yourself.

Also you may consider checking out menus at sit down vs counter service places. Many meals are comparable in price at both, as long as you avoid most of the entrees. But you can get a much better sandwich or burger for a few dollars more than counter serve, with a more relaxing break built in. Or split an app & meal for a much better lunch with more variety.

Last edited:
What made Forbidden Journey bad for you? Was it motion sickness?
I'm trying to be prepared but would like to give every ride (at least non-coaster) a try. I'm going in with motion sickness meds just in case.
Yes, it was motion sickness. The ride mechanism is on an "arm". Starts with a K but can't remember what it's called. It enables the ride seats to be moved up, down, sideways and backwards. I felt like we were going over backwards and didn't like the feeling. I know it would not go over backwards but all the same. It is jerky ride too, lots of action. I just have to avoid that one! But the GRingotts ride is fantastic, and not to be missed

Yes, it was motion sickness. The ride mechanism is on an "arm". Starts with a K but can't remember what it's called. It enables the ride seats to be moved up, down, sideways and backwards. I felt like we were going over backwards and didn't like the feeling. I know it would not go over backwards but all the same. It is jerky ride too, lots of action. I just have to avoid that one! But the GRingotts ride is fantastic, and not to be missed
The ride system is a Kuka Coaster. They used to have some in Epcot at Sum of All Thrills.

I really think this is key. I would try everything that isn't an obvious "no."

What is bad about coasters for you? I would consider adding Hagrids to the "try" list near the end of the trip as you're feeling braver. Start in the sidecar for a more secure feel. Unless speed and acceleration are the bigger problems - but it doesn't have much for height so don't write it off for that.

I'm imagining Dr Doom drop tower is also a "no" for you despite being not a coaster. Also maybe the Dudley Doright flume? My height/drop-wimp friend does Hagrids but refuses to get on Dudley. Although she semi-reluctantly does Jurassic Park river adventure despite it having the bigger drop, just because she likes the rest of the ride.

But really, unless you look at a ride and it is a straight-up "no," give it a try & judge for yourself.

Also you may consider checking out menus at sit down vs counter service places. Many meals are comparable in price at both, as long as you avoid most of the entrees. But you can get a much better sandwich or burger for a few dollars more than counter serve, with a more relaxing break built in. Or split an app & meal for a much better lunch with more variety.

I don't like drops or speed so that's definitely a no. I did ride the Mummy once at USH and uh, never again lol.
I will probably do Jurassic Park because it's one drop and over pretty quick. I think I'm going to skip Dudley's because I don't want to get soaked.

I looked up Kuka coaster and I can totally see why motion sickness would be the issue. It does look a tad violent and would really not want to get sick and have it ruin my day. I'll see how my sister feels about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter