• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do at HH?

lsutigger2

DIS Veteran
I'm looking for some suggestions of things to do at and around the resort area. My DH will probably go play golf (I may join him for the ride) and so I will probably not have transportation unless I drop him off and pick him up.
So what would you suggest for a temporary single 50-ish woman to do.
BTW, I'm not a sit by the pool for hours or on the beach for hours kind of person. I fry to a crisp and it makes for a very unpleasant remainder of trip! And yes, I use sunscreen. :goodvibes

If you've been there and have suggestions, please share.

Hi

I would highly recommend going to the Naturalist presentations at the resort. They are wonderfully interesting science and nature presentations that would appeal to all ages!

Here's a store directory for the Mall at Shelter Cove, which is walking distance from the resort (or a very short drive or cab ride).

http://www.mallatsheltercove.com/catdir.php

Have a great trip!

The resort has a wonderful recreation staff with lots of programs for all ages- including adults. There is a "Behind the Ears" member's tour on Wednesdays, cooking classes, wine tasting, nature tours and a number of local area tours. Take a trip to Harbourtown (in Sea Pines Plantation) and visit the lighthouse and shops, visit the South Beach area, visit the fort area or the plantation ruins. (Those locations will have to be by car or taxi- although it is possible to bike to all of those spots.)

Also available are all sorts of water activities, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, dolphin tours, sunset dinner cruises, biking, shopping nearby (both at Shelter Cove Mall and the harbour shops directly across from the resort). The balconies afford a nice relaxing spot with a view of the marsh (we've seen dolphin, manatee and otters in the marsh right from our porch) and there are hammocks scattered throughout the resort.

The staff at the resort will be happy to suggest other activities available in the area.

Have a great stay!

lsutigger2 said:
I'm looking for some suggestions of things to do at and around the resort area. My DH will probably go play golf (I may join him for the ride) and so I will probably not have transportation unless I drop him off and pick him up.
So what would you suggest for a temporary single 50-ish woman to do.
BTW, I'm not a sit by the pool for hours or on the beach for hours kind of person. I fry to a crisp and it makes for a very unpleasant remainder of trip! And yes, I use sunscreen. :goodvibes

If you've been there and have suggestions, please share.
Not surprisingly, I've been in that exact position-50ish temporarily single woman at HH while DH golfs. And I do just what was suggested previously-I do alot of the nature activities at the resort. I've gone on the Beach Walk, Pinckney Island Tour, 3 hr. tour of HH, and Dolphin Watch all without DH. As a matter of fact, on our last trip, he'd planned to golf on a Monday, but there was no activity I wanted to do, and the 3 hr. tour was on Tuesday, so he switched his golf to Tuesday! Oh, yes-there's usually a Member's Tour of the resort on Wednesday, so DH knows it's OK to golf Wednesday! The rest of the time he's gone, I curl up in Big Murgie's Den in the big comfy couch with a good book.
If you want to ride along, the Robert Trent Jones course, right across the street has holes along the ocean for good scenery, and comes highly recommended as a golf course by DH.

When I was there in 2004, I wanted to have a pedicure so I asked the front desk for a recommendation, and they gave me a wonderful brochure. It was difficult to get an appointment, so you might want to call before you leave to make an appointment. I was called home on an emergency and had to cancel my appointment. It's right in Sheltor Cove so you could walk if needed. http://www.european-spa.com/

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll be pondering it and see what sounds the best. We have a long drive to NC first, so I'll have lots of thinking and planning time.
Are the tours ones you can take from the resort? or do you catch them some place else? I like doing tours.

Any other suggestions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter