What to do with a "restricted item" upon boarding?

2boysmommy

Mouseketeer
This is probably an overly specific question but thought I would check here before calling just in case...
We are boarding our cruise after a baseball tournament so my son will have all his gear with him. This obviously includes baseball bats, which are on the prohibited item list. Does anyone have experience "checking" prohibited items upon arrival and retrieving them at the end of a cruise?

I packed a pair of scissors once, without even thinking about it not being allowed. When we received our luggage in the room, there was a note saying they took the scissors and a receipt to turn in to get them back, after we got back to Port Canaveral.

I asked about a similar thing recently and was told if I have the items in a bag ready to hand over to security it will be easy, and the items will be returned when we disembark - that's what i'm now planning to do :)

This is probably an overly specific question but thought I would check here before calling just in case...
We are boarding our cruise after a baseball tournament so my son will have all his gear with him. This obviously includes baseball bats, which are on the prohibited item list. Does anyone have experience "checking" prohibited items upon arrival and retrieving them at the end of a cruise?
Can the gear go home with a teammate and then you can pick it up from the coach or teammate after the cruise.

Honestly that would be the easiest and least hassle. Or leave it in your car if you will have one.

They confiscated my husband’s fishing pole on the Magic lol - it was waiting on a table At disembarkation. Very easy.

Yes, it's super easy. You give it to them as you embark, they give you a receipt, and you pick it up as you disembark. Couldn't be easier.

When would you hand these items over? Do you bring them with you like your carry on bag and hand it over to the security personal before boarding the ship or do you tell the porters taking your big bags that you have an item that is restricted and needs special handing over?

You can hand them over when you get to the terminal. Honestly it may be a better idea to send it home with a team instead. From one sports mom to another, that gear is expensive and depending on the age of your kid they get very attached to their gear. Lost gear could be the end of the world to your player.

I'd ask your coach or a friend on the team to take it with them. Less stuff for you to deal with and a much smaller risk of it getting lost or something.

I'd be concerned that if any type of game delay could cause you to miss the boat.

-Paul

You can hand them over when you get to the terminal. Honestly it may be a better idea to send it home with a team instead. From one sports mom to another, that gear is expensive and depending on the age of your kid they get very attached to their gear. Lost gear could be the end of the world to your player.

I'd ask your coach or a friend on the team to take it with them. Less stuff for you to deal with and a much smaller risk of it getting lost or something.
This is part of the issue. He's super concerned about them - all 4 of them 🤦🏻‍♀️. The other option is to send his entire bat bag home with someone and just pay any necessary baggage fees on it, but he isn't sure who he trusts to get them home safely. At least he would pack it himself at it would be one less flight.

I'd be concerned that if any type of game delay could cause you to miss the boat.

-Paul
Trust me - already a stress. He has to fly from Cincinnati to Miami. The last game isn't slated to start until 4:45 pm on Sunday and our cruise departs Monday. It's a multi-generational family cruise so we had limited say in the planning but his team won this tournament last year so he's determined to play the entire time.

Thank you for the personal experience replies! It's very helpful. At least we know we have options. Now to figure out which one is best.

Same here. They confiscated my Leatherman tool and my power strip! It was easy to get them back, but what if we had been on a one-way cruise?? Hmmm.

Same here. They confiscated my Leatherman tool and my power strip! It was easy to get them back, but what if we had been on a one-way cruise?? Hmmm.
I think when they confiscate the restricted items they keep them locked up somewhere on the ship rather than leave them at the port, just like they do with any alcohol that's bought in ports and brought back to the ship but isn't within the rules for what you can have in your stateroom.

This is part of the issue. He's super concerned about them - all 4 of them 🤦🏻‍♀️. The other option is to send his entire bat bag home with someone and just pay any necessary baggage fees on it, but he isn't sure who he trusts to get them home safely. At least he would pack it himself at it would be one less flight.

Trust me - already a stress. He has to fly from Cincinnati to Miami. The last game isn't slated to start until 4:45 pm on Sunday and our cruise departs Monday. It's a multi-generational family cruise so we had limited say in the planning but his team won this tournament last year so he's determined to play the entire time.
Is there any family members or family friends that are attending the game and not cruising that they could take the equipment with them?

… but he isn't sure who he trusts to get them home safely. …
That sounds like a kids/ teenager’s response. (Which convinces me there’s not enough connection with anyone enough to trust they would be responsible with his bats). Do you know any of the parents or coaches traveling with the team?

I would go for least effort - bring the bats and hand them over at the port. There is no big thread in this forum about Disney losing / keeping confiscated articles.

Second choice, drop them off on the way to the ship at a UPS mailing location. There’s a CVS near the Beach Line as you near PC that is indicated as a UPS Access Point. (There are a bunch near MCO.) Take a shipping box and tape with you. If your group is traveling by private transfer, just arrange for a diversion.

You’ve got enough on your plate with a family trip.

I packed a pair of scissors once, without even thinking about it not being allowed. When we received our luggage in the room, there was a note saying they took the scissors and a receipt to turn in to get them back, after we got back to Port Canaveral.
FWIW, not all scissors are banned. I believe it has to less than 6" or something like that. :scratchin Don't quote me!
I brought an old pair of kids' school scissors, maybe 4-5" for or WBPC cruise last year. They are not the rounded tip type.

I don't usually pack any but figured being gone that long, eventually we'd need to cut something, which we did.

What about taking it to UPS or something and shipping it home to another family member or trusted friend? You're cutting it close with flights and everything to get to Miami for a cruise that leaves the next morning. I live in Ohio and fly out of Cincinnati all the time and I've been delayed way more often than on time there. Sometimes multiple hour delays.

Then when you get to Miami, usually sports equipment comes out a different area that takes longer than normal baggage then the delay when you get to port getting it checked and such.

Being a former national level sports athlete I can tell you in this situation my parents wouldn't let me risk a multi thousand dollar multi family cruise because I wanted to keep my sports gear with me. I would have to have sent it home with a coach or another player.

@OpieDoodle - good attention to detail! I lost the Miami port aspect.

I thought he was flying to FL for a tournament. Not playing in OH/ KY area, starting a baseball game at 4:45 pm. (Not trying to stress you out, @2boysmommy).

We've also had an item taken (Mom forgot she had a pocket knife) and it was bagged and waiting when we got off the boat no problem. Honestly...I'd probably rather leave them with Disney than either sending them with a random teammate or hoping UPS doesn't lose the package (or damage them in transit). Plus if you send them with a teammate and something *does* happen to his stuff, that has the potential to create a rift between your son and his friend.

Good luck whatever you decide!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter