What to expect from Avatarland

Ok, what exactly is D ticket or D ticket quality?

A nod to the old tier-ticket system at DL and the MK. Until '82 (and Epcot), park admission was free and you bought tickets for the rides.

"E" coupons were the most expensive coupons and were for the premiere rides. Prices, ride complexity and ride popularity lowered down to the "A Ticket."

$_1.JPG

Last edited:

It is widely thought that Avatar will not open with the boat ride, which will be put off for Phase 2. A bad idea, of course, because I'm far more interested in a really immersive Pirates-esque dark ride than Pandorin'.

A nod to the old tier-ticket system at DL and the MK. Until '82 (and Epcot), park admission was free and you bought tickets for the rides
Not quite true. You had to have a ticket to get into the Magic Kingdom. There was one in the coupon book or you could purchase a park entry ticket only if you didn't want to ride. I think the cost was about $5.00 for park entry. You needed a ticket just to get through the turnstiles at the Ticket and Transportation Center. In the deep recesses of my mind, I believe there may have been a minimal charge to ride the monorail or boat over to the Magic Kingdom; I can't remember for certain though.

I know nothing about Avatar and do not plan to watch the movie just because WDW built the land so the most interesting to me is the nighttime spectacular. As long as the Soarin' like attraction is more thrilling than Soarin', which I think is boring after the first minute, then it might be fun.

I have loved PotC since I first remember riding in 1985, but if that was being built today instead of in the 1970's it would be considered lame. So, depending on what they do with the Avatar version has the chance of being intriguing or lame.

So the most popular (arguably) attraction at MK would be a "D" ticket in the old system? Or does "D" mean level 2-with level 1 (E) being the highest? I can believe that. The boat ride would not be the highest (E ticket).

Is Kali an E ticket? I think the new one will be better, even if less thrilling.

Last edited:
So the most popular (arguably) attraction at MK would be a "D" ticket in the old system? Or does "D" mean level 2-with level 1 (E) being the highest? I can believe that. The boat ride would not be the highest (E ticket).

Is Kali an E ticket? I think the new one will be better, even if less thrilling.

E ticket would be the big draws, mostly thrill rides like Everest and Tower of Terror; or something like Kilimanjaro Safaris.

It's all subjective. I don't think Kali would rank E ticket status, it's the shortest, weakest rafting ride there is. It's all relative, I'm sure people call Kali "D Ticket" for AK (not a lot of competition), and that is generous IMHO.

Last edited:
E-Tickets were the most popular attractions in the old system. Many of the attractions that were E-Tickets then, would not be today.

These were E-Tickets in 1970's:
Pirates of the Caribbean
Jungle Cruise
Country Bear Jamboree
Haunted Mansion
Hall of Presidents
It's a Small World
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Space Mountain

Heck no. I think many would call Kali River Rapids D Ticket...and that would be generous, lamest rafting ride I can remember ever being on (and I've been to some that don't even exist anymore).

Everest would be E ticket, as would Kilimanjaro Safaris.

These days it's all subjective, they haven't had to rank rides in a ticket book in 33 years. I think though people dropped things like Pirates and Jungle Cruise to D Ticket because there are thrill rides that command far longer waits...Splash Mtn, Everest, Test Track, etc. Though both rides still command deserved loyal followings, you can walk on either on both coasts much of the year.
Kali could have and should've been an E when it was supposed to be Tiger River Run.

E-Tickets were the most popular attractions in the old system. Many of the attractions that were E-Tickets then, would not be today.

These were E-Tickets in 1970's:
Pirates of the Caribbean
Jungle Cruise
Country Bear Jamboree
Haunted Mansion
Hall of Presidents
It's a Small World
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Space Mountain

I see, so kind of evolves with time. Makes sense. I would put 7DMT above all of them except Space actually.

Today most use E ticket to talk about the quality of the attraction.

Heck no. I think many would call Kali River Rapids D Ticket...and that would be generous, lamest rafting ride I can remember ever being on (and I've been to some that don't even exist anymore).

Everest would be E ticket, as would Kilimanjaro Safaris.

These days it's all subjective, they haven't had to rank rides in a ticket book in 33 years. I think though people dropped things like Pirates and Jungle Cruise to D Ticket because there are thrill rides that command far longer waits...Splash Mtn, Everest, Test Track, etc. Though both rides still command deserved loyal followings, you can walk on either on both coasts much of the year.

Yep-we never do Kali anymore. Actually we do not get wet enough at a minimum. I'm assuming the new boat ride is indoors? In AC? That might be pretty relaxing as well-but not E ticket excitement of course.

Most put 7DMT at a D ticket level because of the thrill and length. Its in between barnstormer and Big thunder when it comes to that.

I can see that. But it is far more popular/visual if that counts towards e-ticket status anyway.

I'm fine with D-ticket status for 7DMT (and Avatar), just saying there's really not a lot of e-ticket if "thrill" is the factor. Only 1 at EPCOT, 2 at DHS.

I can see that. But it is far more popular/visual if that counts towards e-ticket status anyway.
Well its popular because MK hasn't seen any new big rides in a long time. The ride was originally supposed to have more show scenes that would give it more visuals but that got cut out unfortunately. Its a good ride but to me it isn't great.

If possible I'm actually less interested after reading this article. All of this time and money and essentially it's just rehashing other attractions.

If possible I'm actually less interested after reading this article. All of this time and money and essentially it's just rehashing other attractions.
Well not really. Soarin' was an in house creation. This banshee ride is going to use a new vekoma ride system that will be more thrilling than soarin'. The boat ride we don't know much about. its likely to have drops and is said to have very immersive scenery. The floating mountains are also something disney has never done before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter