What to expect?

kelly3kids

Mouseketeer
Hi, We have been to Aulani a few times pre COVID. We love it but I know things are very different. I know no Aunties. That's ok my kids are 11, 15, and 16. What other things should I tell them will not be available on our trip in four weeks? I just want them to be prepared for it to be different. Are masks required at the pools and beach or only inside? Thank you for your thoughts ahead of time. We are excited just to be on the beach but really wanting prepare the youngest for the differences.

Hi, We have been to Aulani a few times pre COVID. We love it but I know things are very different. I know no Aunties. That's ok my kids are 11, 15, and 16. What other things should I tell them will not be available on our trip in four weeks? I just want them to be prepared for it to be different. Are masks required at the pools and beach or only inside? Thank you for your thoughts ahead of time. We are excited just to be on the beach but really wanting prepare the youngest for the differences.

No Ama Ama. No pool parties. Limited activities. No borrowing sand toys. Characters are socially distant. Masks inside.

If your 11 year old looks “old” for her age bring her birth certificate of you plan to eat anywhere other than at Aulani to prove she is under 12. Have you older ones bring a school ID if they don’t have a state ID.

Masks are required inside, but are not required outdoors. There are some unique situations when masks must be outdoors, but as a visitor you are not likely to encounter those situations.

In addition to things mentioned above, there are no refillable mugs, storytelling is at the main pool rather than the fire pit, Makahiki is no longer a buffet and there are no character dinners, Luana lounge is closed, and the adult pool is now a family pool.

The biggest change your family needs to be aware of is the Oahu Safe Access program. If your older kids aren’t vaccinated, they will need to test every 48 hours if they want to buy food/beverage at Aulani. When you check in, vaccinated guests (as well as those under 12) receive a black band. Those who tested negative will be given a wavy colored band. You must have one of these bands to buy food at Ulu Cafe, Off the Hook, any snack stand, etc. I’m not sure if the gift shop requires the black or wavy band.

Thanks. I didn't think of the ID part but I guess they would have those with their wallets. We will all be fully vaccinated before we go even my 11 year old. Does that mean there is any testing that will happen while we are there? I just want to prepare them for that. You mentioned the luana lounge is closed- I can't remember completely but is this where they check out DVD's and things like that. Are they renting paddle boards or things like that still? Their website doesn't give accurate up to date info about what is actually available. Thank you again.

@kelly3kids You probably won’t have to test unless you’re an international visitor and need a test to fly home.

Luana is where you can shower before a late flight. The community room is the Pau Hana room and is open with some limitations, ie activities are conducted outside, limited availability for activities.

You can rent stand up paddle boards right now. I’m not sure about other beach rentals.

Thanks. The website isn’t up to date so I wasn’t really sure if they would having people using it.

I am a first timer and have been here since Sat and leaving Friday. This place is spectacular and I don’t want to go home. Cast members are the best of any Disney resort I have visited. We will be back!

Just returned from 6 nights, we had been there 4 years ago so did Aulani pre and post Covid. We had an amazing time and I think if we hadn't been there before would not have thought of Aulani as any different - its still a beautiful, amazing resort.

If your family is vaxxed the process is fairly easy. You can go to the Safe Travels site any time before the trip and upload your vax cards. From SFO they checked us and gave us bracelets before departure, that will vary by airport, but having those makes the entrance process extremely easy. When we got to Aulani they checked cards again and gave us all black bracelets. They did not ask for ID for my 12 year old (I brought his passport just in case) in fact most places assumed he was under 12. My 10 year old tested before (she's only had time for 1 shot) and still got a black band due to age - I'd expect that to change after the holidays when 5-11s can be fully vaxxed. Other than that we didn't need to be checked again at Aulani, only when going to a museum or restaurant away from the resort.

The beach is renting stand up paddle boards and boogie boards. Rainbow reef is open, in fact the fish feeding apparently sells out super fast, snorkeling does not. Masks indoors so from your room to the elevator to outside ( <5 minutes) then off. I saw nearly 100% compliance in the resort and off site.

The one difference I felt (and maybe bc we had a studio instead of a 1bdr) is fewer food options. The ABC store across the street had plenty for us, in fact I could have skipped going to Safeway, we prefer to eat Hawaiian food anyway.

Just returned from 6 nights, we had been there 4 years ago so did Aulani pre and post Covid. We had an amazing time and I think if we hadn't been there before would not have thought of Aulani as any different - its still a beautiful, amazing resort.

If your family is vaxxed the process is fairly easy. You can go to the Safe Travels site any time before the trip and upload your vax cards. From SFO they checked us and gave us bracelets before departure, that will vary by airport, but having those makes the entrance process extremely easy. When we got to Aulani they checked cards again and gave us all black bracelets. They did not ask for ID for my 12 year old (I brought his passport just in case) in fact most places assumed he was under 12. My 10 year old tested before (she's only had time for 1 shot) and still got a black band due to age - I'd expect that to change after the holidays when 5-11s can be fully vaxxed. Other than that we didn't need to be checked again at Aulani, only when going to a museum or restaurant away from the resort.

The beach is renting stand up paddle boards and boogie boards. Rainbow reef is open, in fact the fish feeding apparently sells out super fast, snorkeling does not. Masks indoors so from your room to the elevator to outside ( <5 minutes) then off. I saw nearly 100% compliance in the resort and off site.

The one difference I felt (and maybe bc we had a studio instead of a 1bdr) is fewer food options. The ABC store across the street had plenty for us, in fact I could have skipped going to Safeway, we prefer to eat Hawaiian food anyway.
This is a wonderful report. I am anxious about the safe travel part. I have done everything it says to do. My 11 year old will be fully vaxxed by the time we leave. He gets his second on Saturday which puts his 15th day on December 12th. I hope they accept that. I called and asked. I don’t want to not get him tested and they say that isn’t enough. I am assuming if it is enough for the rest of us it will be for him.
I figure as long as we don’t have to wear masks outside, it shouldn’t be a problem. You aren’t really inside much anyways there.
We love walking over to the ABC store for small meals and Hawaiian treats. I am glad it is still open there.
I am so excited. Thanks again for the info. I am glad you had a good time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter