What to pack for late October weather?

moreisgood

Falling in love
It's our first to trip to DL, and I'm wondering about the weather for late October. We are from the Philly area, and go to WDW frequently, and it is often hot in both those places in October. Or, it can be freakishly cold! It's a mom and teenage daughter trip, so I know we will be doing some late nights. Advice please, on those morning, mid-day, and late night real feels on the temperature and what we should pack. We are walking from a Convention Center area hotel.

You'll want layers. It can be cold in the morning and evening when the sun goes down. It can be hot during the day.

Check the local weather report for Anaheim starting the week before your trip. (abc7.com is a good resource.) October is usually a warm/hot month here -- but we've had freak rain storms, too -- so check the forecast right up to the day you start packing. Agree with the pp about layers! You can always store light jackets and hoodies in a locker for evening, especially if you'll be viewing shows like F! and WOC. It can get surprisingly chilly down by the water while waiting for those shows to start.

It's a tough time of year for packing, because the weather really can go in any direction! It's more likely that it will be a bit chilly in the mornings and evenings, but hot during the day. How hot is another good question that's hard to answer. It could be comfortable in the 80s, or it could be approaching 100. Normally California heat is not too humid, so even high temperatures are doable, but even that could change. I went during Thanksgiving week once and it was cold and rainy. I went during the same week another year and it was extremely humid and in the 90s.

So the best advice is just to keep checking the weather forecast! Hopefully that way you can completely rule out rain or a heat wave. Definitely bring long pants and jackets for the mornings and evenings regardless.

We went Oct 28-Nov 2 last year and it was warm - not uncomfortable but warm all day and night. I am usually cold all the time but did not need even the light hoodie I brought with me. Really hope for a cooler trip next month - I much rather it be cold than hot.

The year before that we went the week before Halloween and it was warm then as well.

I will always plug NOAA for weather forecasts (weather.gov and enter zip code 92802) and I agree to keep checking right up until the last minute, because you never know how it's going to be. You might have to end up bringing everything from shorts to fleece jackets...

Thank you everyone for your advice! It sounds like it would be a good idea to bring rain gear too.

You won’t know until about a week before your trip.... we live in San Diego... today it’s cool but Thursday the Santa Ana winds pickup and Friday is forecast to be ten degrees warmer than today. It’ll definitely be cooler at night and in the mornings.... layers are your friend!

It's generally always dry. You'll see highs in the 70s or 80s and lows in the 50s or 60s. It could potentially be windy as October is sort of known for being that way. I'd bring pants for night, a pair or two of shorts just in case, t-shirts, and sweatshirts. Doesn't hurt to bring a bathing suit, too, if you are considering swimming. Don't waste time on rain gear. It hardly ever rains in October and even if it does, you can always just buy a poncho. No point in wasting suitcase space.

Hi moreisgood :wave2:
Also from Philly area (Jersey side) and will also be in SoCal end of Oct/beginning of Nov. again this year.
We went last year around this same time (Have family out there)
Layers were my friend! Hoodie or sweater for mornings to strip off to short sleeves underneath and shove the hoodie in backpack or tie around my waist for afternoon's and then slip back on for after the sun goes down.
My teen sons were fine with shorts and a tee, but I wore light, long pants, yoga pants or leggings, and was fine.
Hot flashes aside :crazy2: , I tend to be a person who is more cold than hot.

You won’t know until about a week before your trip.... we live in San Diego... today it’s cool but Thursday the Santa Ana winds pickup
These winds were the reason we didn't get to see DLR's Fantasmic!
Just too windy to safely have the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter