• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to see in-between Grand Canyon and Anaheim?

connorlevismom

DIS Veteran
We are flying into Phoenix, going to the Grand Canyon and then driving to Anaheim. I am wondering what I should see on the way and if there is a place I should stop and stay overnight?

Don't know if Kingman or Needles would be interesting. The obvious answer is of course Las Vegas.

If you are coming through Barstow there is the Calico Ghost town. You can ride the train. Interesting town. You can buy lunch and just sit. It does cost to get in. It says 8,00 dollars. Really not much to see as it is all desert. In Barstow you have the worlds tallest thermometer.

In CA, stop in Cabazon to see the dinosaurs used in Pee Wee's Big Adventure movie. This is a good place to stop and stretch your legs, take a few pictures, gas up and grab a quick bite to eat. There is outlet shopping in Cabazon too. Don't know if you are spending all of your time at Disneyland, a few days, etc. I would suggest driving in to Anaheim, check into the hotel, clean up and go have a nice dinner in DTD. If you get in early, catch a movie then a late lunch, early dinner in DTD. If you are going during summer, go swimming, or go to the beach.

In Arizona you could stop at Williams and go to Bearizona. It's a drive through wildlife park. You could also stop in at Oatman just out of Laughlin and see the wild burrows.

On the way to Grand Canyon, there are two worthwhile stops you could make if you're arriving in the daytime:
  • Montezuma Castle National Monument - www.nps.gov/moca - Very well preserved Pueblo-culture cliff dwelling just a few miles off I-17 and well worth seeing.
  • Sedona, AZ - Again, just off I-17 and on the way to Grand Canyon (www.nps.gov/grca ). MUST see is the Chapel of the Holy Cross, just off AZ 179 (1 mile). You'll go through Sedona, with it's amazing red rock formations, and then through AZ's famous Oak Creek Canyon, to I-40...which you will take West to GRCA.
Vegas is also an obvious option as previously mentioned.

If you're willing to spend the night along the way, I'd say go to Joshua Tree and spend the night in Palm Springs. Save Las Vegas for another trip.

On my trip last year we stopped at Joshua Tree and Montezuma's Castle and stayed in Sedona - all worthwhile!! Palm Springs would be closer to midway than Sedona of course and would break up the drive more.

60 miles south of Grand Canyon is Williams. Lots of fun things to do there for a day. Bearizona drive thru animal park and zoo is excellent. In town is a fun zip line. At the train depot in Williams each morning is a fun gun fight skit free to the public. A few miles east is a Deer petting zoo thats popular. Williams itself is a fun route 66 small town. On holiday weekends they have an old fashioned parade down route 66. We love eating at the Route 66 BBQ. Live entertainment playing outside along the street on many afternoons and evenings.

Bit of a boring drive along I-40 to Anaheim! If you have the time a drive south from Ash Fork to Prescott on 89 then on 60 to I-10 might be worth it. A day trip out of Prescott to Jerome is a great way to spend an afternoon! Very funky very old town built on the side of a mountain. Lots of great restaurants, shops and several wineries as well as old west museums. Could also see Jerome on way from Phoenix to Grand Canyon if you have the time.

As many have mentioned there is Joshua Tree NP, The southern portion of the park is along I-10 and if you are going I 40 then Mojave National Preserve is along that route. It is also part of the National Park Service. The Kelso Dept portion of the park is off the 40. When we lived in Grand Canyon and would drive to DL on 40 we would stop and visit the Kelso Depot area.

If you go into Palm Springs there is the Aeriel Tram. Here is the link http://www.pstramway.com/

In CA, stop in Cabazon to see the dinosaurs used in Pee Wee's Big Adventure movie. This is a good place to stop and stretch your legs, take a few pictures, gas up and grab a quick bite to eat.
My son is OBSESSED with dinosaurs. After our trip in July, we're gonna visit the Natural History Museum then visit some friends in Riverside. We may have to stop here on our way back to Texas.

In CA, stop in Cabazon to see the dinosaurs used in Pee Wee's Big Adventure movie.

Two things worth knowing about the Cabazon dinosaurs. 1) They now house a young earth anti-evolution creationist museum. 2) You have have have to stop nearby at the Hadley Fruit Orchards for what may be the world's best date shake.

Thanks for this thread! We're doing the opposite - flying to OC, 3 days at Disneyland, then driving to Flagstaff, AZ to visit friends. We're trying to plan a scenic route with one 2-3 hour stop somewhere interesting. It sounds like Joshua Tree might be a good idea and then driving up through Prescott.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter