• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What villa would you suggest?

FreeTime

DIS Veteran
Our relatives have burned us several times on accomodations. They have cancelled too late for us to change and get what we want. Well, they want to go again! I was going to book 2-1 bds so that when they cancel we will still have a 1bd (and if they do go we can have privacy). My DS said to go ahead and book the 2br and we will just have extra room. The 2-1brs will be 44 pts per night & the 2 br 30. What would you do?

I can't comment on what's best, but if you're working under the assumption that they may "burn" you again, but I'll give my 2 cents..

My DW and I have made reservations several times for relatives. Rooms gratis. The only caveat, and I make it very clear, is that if they cancel inside the 30 day window and I can't rent the points, they are on the hook at $ 10 per point.

That may be a tough pill to swallow for some, but I'm not in the hotel business. For anyone to get a $ 350 room for free and feel that they can opt out at the last minute is a bit much for me.

JMHO.

Your post reminds me of why I define a "relative" as the product of a series of genetic accidents! I would book the 2 BR as your DS suggested. I recognize your desire for privacy, however, should they decide to surprise you and actually show up. I might book the 2 1 BR's after advising the relatives of the cost of cancellation, i.e. $10 per point for the length of stay. This should firm up their commitment to you. Good luck.

It is true, you can pick your friends but you can't pick your relatives.

we battled this war once and after that it was enough. Friends are easier to take.

Good luck

Ed

Thanks everyone! I called and told them that if they cancelled wi 30 days they would owe! I also told them that if we were unable to get the room we wanted because they cancel (i.e. cancelling 2 br for 1) that we would be mighty upset, so they would still owe, even if they didn't go! Harsh, I know! Well they decided not to go! Which is fine, now I only have to worry about my family. Now, I just won't get to share the magic with their kids.

If you do go with that $10 per point cancellation fee, I would get it in writing! We don't want to see DVC end up on Judge Judy!!! :p

FreeTime
Book a 2 BR Lock Off. Then if they don't show it is easy to cancel the Lock Off and keep the 1 BR villa. I would stick to the 30 day cancel as indicated in the previous posts.

I'm not sure about this, but I thought I read a post that someone tried to do this with a lockoff and they weren't allowed to. They had to cancel the reservation and then try for a new one.

Does anyone know whether they do allow you to just cancel the studio part of the 2 BR lockoff?

Its actually a bit more complicated than simply locking the door. If on day 1 of the 11 month window every single person reserves studios and they now have reserved all the studios, they really haven't. Many of the lock-off two bedroom units are held to be rented as two bedroom units later.

Similarly, if two bedrooms are the ones in demand on day 1, they will only reserve a certain number of them. Many of the lock-offs will not be reserved as two bedroom units at this time. Many will be held.

They will tell people that a certain type of unit is unavailable when they could still split a two bedroom or combine a one bedroom and a studio. I am not sure what the different time tables are when they make the rooms available any way at all.

sigh

My in-laws just did the same thing to us. We had a 2BR and 2 Studios reserved for a big family blow-out next month. They canceled exactly 30 days out on a Friday night. We had a choice. We could try to sell the reservation or cancel it and sell the points. If we canceled the reservation, the points would have gone into the holding account and would have expired in 2.5 months. Luckily for us, I was able to sell the Studio reservation. Although I helped someone out (and they, me), I would have preferred to have had the points next year. Did I mention we borrowed points for them? grrrr

I was not really surprised that they canceled because my in-laws' heath is not great. However, when we saw them 3 weeks earlier they said how much they were looking forward to being with us in WDW. If they hadn't been so positive I would have called at 32 days out to verify that they were really going. In retrospect, I should have called anyway.

So ... I can relate ;).

Now for your solution ... I also think you should book a 2BR lock-off. I read on the old board about someone who is in the same boat you are (with her sister IIRC) and had been able to cancel the Studio part of the 2BR when the relative crapped out on them at the last minute. I would call your relatives at 35 days out (remembering that MS is closed on the weekends) and have them commit to the vacation. If you're afraid of not being able to cancel the Studio part of the 2BR, I would get a 1BR and a studio. If they actually make it, stick them in the studio and give them a key to the 1BR for relaxing and socializing.

Good luck!

About booking the 2BR lock-off: Please be aware that they will not necessarily let you just drop off the studio or 1BR part. I tried to do this at BWV a few months ago, and I was told I would just have to cancel and get what was available. Or I could get on a waiting list if what I wanted was not available.

I had actually posted on here a few weeks ago that I had a two br and tried to drop the studio part of it. Well they wouldn't let me. This was also due to relatives cancelling. Well I cancelled the 2 br and then there wasn't a room available for the days that I needed. That is why I really didn't want to go with a 2 br again.

How about a 1br and studio. They may or may not be together, but this way you know you can cancel the studio. We are currently doing similar, we have a 2br and a studio, with my inlaws parents in the studio. Anytime you have this many peoples schedules, something always comes up. We've had to change it once.:cool: :cool: :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter