what was a massive deal when you were growing up that isn't now?

Dyeing your hair bright rainbow colors (Manic Panic!) Used to be soooo edgy!! A real finger in the face of the Man.

Now you see it on little kids and grandmas.

Easter Sunday was such a big celebration. My grandmother used to do a giant egg hunt after lunch at her house. My grandfather used to buy all the ladies in the family a corsage, and I felt so grown up wearing mine. Now Easter dresses aren't even a big deal any more -- it's just a chocolate bunny and move on.

Dyeing your hair bright rainbow colors (Manic Panic!) Used to be soooo edgy!! A real finger in the face of the Man.

Now you see it on little kids and grandmas.
I remember letting my daughter do a temporary (wash out in like 5 shampoos) hair color in 6th grade. Some of her friends parents were shocked that I would allow this.

Never done it myself, but men with earrings.

Tattoos and body piercing. Like the meme that went around recently says, "Tattoo sleeves used to mean you were a biker and would kill someone. Now it means you're a chef who makes a lovely pork belly."

Wearing white after Labor Day (my grandmother would really be vocal about this. Why would anyone care?)

Kids calling adults Mr. or Mrs., and not by first name (I still prefer children be proper in this area)

NEVER blowing your nose at the dinner table (so many do this now at restaurants/work break room and it disgusts me)

Seeing gay people holding hands in public was shocking and a big deal as a child and teen (so happy to see acts of love and companionship in the open now)

Keeping who you voted for a secret (my grandparents didn't even tell each other:rotfl:)

I will have to think of more :scratchin

Wearing white after Labor Day (my grandmother would really be vocal about this. Why would anyone care?)
I still change to my dark shoes and purses after Labor Day and go back to light colors on Easter Sunday. My grandma insisted on this and I do it in her memory.

Men removing their hats inside. Men wear ball caps everywhere now, even in church. I would insist on a man removing his hat if he is dining in a restaurant with me.

Members Only jackets, side ponytails, Jordache jeans, Ralph Macchio, Scott Baio (yikes), walking around the mall or going to the movies. In our area, those under the age of 17 must be accompanied by a supervising adult age 21 and over now after 5 PM daily. A few ruin it for all.

Riding your bike after the street lights come on used to be a BIG taboo!
Not anymore. Now you get the flash-mob bike gangs taking over the roads in the middle of the night. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen cyclists getting hit by cars at 2a and everyone has made a fuss about how the roads aren't safe for bikes. Um, OK, but it's kinda hard to avoid hitting someone you can't see. Lots of blame to go around and REALLY avoidable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter