What was going on in your life 10 years ago in 2011?

I quit working full time in January of 2011 to babysit our first grandchild. Two more followed in 4 years time. Spent about 50 hours a week with them.

I was laid off in March of 2011 and my company was closing it's office in the town where I worked. This caused me to look elsewhere, DC area, for a job. Found a job with my company in Northern VA, I have been working in the area ever since. Not with the same company though.

My kids were 8 and 5, I was a stay at home mom and did lots of volunteering at the school. We lived in the same house as now.

My son was 8, we celebrated our one year anniversary, bought our house and I received my Masters Degree.

In 2011 I defended my PhD in March, graduated in May, had a baby in June, started a new job in October, moved into our house in November. I’m amazed we all made it through. I also had a three year old and a husband who had to split his weeks between our new house and his job three hours away. He didn’t start his job near us until January. It was a nightmare.

We had a 3yr old and a 1yr old, had just sold our townhouse and bought a house. Crazy to think in just a month we've been in our current house for 10yrs.

My oldest dd was a senior in high school. Going through graduation thinking...dang I've got two more to go.
And still reeling a year after my Dad's passing. It hit my family hard. The above graduation was emotional.

I retired on Dec. 17, 2010 and started packing up and put my place on the market. I left Vermont and moved to NC to be with my daughters, my grandchildren and warm air. I left Vermont about 20 minutes after the moving van left on April 15, 2011. I had made 7 previous trips down in here in 2010 to find an apartment that was both affordable and not a slum. In route to here a major tornado passed through central NC leaving a path of destruction that passed within a mile from my new apartment. It caused no damage to my place but was some welcome to NC for me. Later that summer Hurricane Sandy came roaring up the coast. It did a lot of damage to the Outer Banks, but wouldn't have blown out a match here in Raleigh. There also was a small earthquake in the DC area that we felt here.

Then I spent a couple of months putting up curtains, unpacking boxes and finding my way around the place. Life turned normal and I got a part time job driving special occasion buses in the local area and just settled in playing golf and enjoying my retirement. Later in the year, my daughter presented me with a new little granddaughter becoming the very first actual southerner ever born in our family. We somehow made it through the holidays considering both of my daughters and their families also bought new to them, houses and moved during that year. We still remained an average of 12 miles from each other. Other than that, I got nothin'.

It was my oldest child's first year in college. Marching band season was over for my younger son so we were really settling into our new family dynamic. Ten years later as an empty nester who is mostly retired to care for elderly parents, life looks quite different.

I had my custom picture frame store and was working about 60+ hours a week due to December being my busiest month of the year. This would be my last December opened - I closed the following September in 2012.

It was my second Christmas season working at Macy's, I was in the jewelry department (I worked in ladies clothes the rest of the year, but was pulled in to jewelry for the holidays).

I read everyone's and thought, "Wow I really have no clue".

And then -

*spent NYE/the first day of that year in NYC. January 1st watching runners bring in the new year in Central Park. :love:
*sold a place sale by owner/myself to the most annoying buyers ever (Go praise a real estate agent as potential buyers can be bat **** crazy! :laughing:)

*while in that transaction gave a kidney. While being prepped for surgery my surgeon got pulled away to Sick Kids (our children's hospital). And I had two choices either go home or have a man I had called Dr. Snatch n' Grab for an entire year do the surgery. I was not risking for the recipient so I went with Snatch n' Grab.
Who then proceeded to put an X on my wrong kidney. :rotfl2:

*went into temporary housing to recover as new place was not even purchased

*just weeks later my mom had heart surgery and was never ever the same (her mild dementia progressed very quickly, as was the risk)

*closed on new place on my birthday that year

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter