What was hot and what was a flop under the tree??

Flop- my mother in law got me another card that says she will pay for me to join weight watchers. Not an actual gift card, just a handwritten note. This is the EXACT same thing she gave me last year, when I was pregnant. After the baby came I told her I was ready to join and she said she was broke. Odd lady! She got my husband, her son, a card with scratch offs from her state, and the best part, she signed the back of them. So if he wins, she gets it. What kind of gift is that?

Hit- everything else!

Wow, what an absolute witch!

Oh my! That's awful. My MIL sent us a Christmas card and check (she lives 800 miles away). Enclosed in the card was her Do Not Resuscitate letter. Nothing says Merry Christmas like a DNR form. :rotfl:

Receiving that from my MIL would instantly catapult any Christmas to "best Christmas ever" status. :rotfl2:

Not for the kids but for me. My dd (in her mid 30's) gave me a salt and pepper shaker in the shape of Captain Kirk and Spock. Now I watched Star Treck years ago but haven't in years and I don't watch any of the Star Wars movies just not interested. Not sure what to do with them.
She also got her 33 yr. old brother a bread cutter. One of those things you use for little kids to cut up their sandwich in a funny shape. He never uses bread for sandwiches just buns. It will be used for the grandkids I guess. Not sure what the thinking was there. The others she bought for including a young man that lives with us (he got a gift certificate for $15.00) were really nice things.
tigercat

Not for the kids but for me. My dd (in her mid 30's) gave me a salt and pepper shaker in the shape of Captain Kirk and Spock. Now I watched Star Treck years ago but haven't in years and I don't watch any of the Star Wars movies just not interested. Not sure what to do with them.
She also got her 33 yr. old brother a bread cutter. One of those things you use for little kids to cut up their sandwich in a funny shape. He never uses bread for sandwiches just buns. It will be used for the grandkids I guess. Not sure what the thinking was there. The others she bought for including a young man that lives with us (he got a gift certificate for $15.00) were really nice things.
tigercat

Aw that is so disappointing...It is never the cost of the gift that counts but the thought behind it..sorry it was a fail...:(

As I go thru the gifts under the tree it is funny how the ones that were last minute seem to have the best impact for us at least. A few I could have done without (meaning should have saved the money!) but using that app SANTAS HELPER really helped me to see what I bought spent etc. I honestly never budged Christmas before but sort of kept a tally in my head. It was nice to see the ACTUAL cost tallied..Encouraged me to return a few gifts prior to Christmas and I am glad I did!!! Allowed for the impulse purchase of the North Face jacket on Christmas eve that ended up being a huge hit!

The xbox one was the big hit for us as a family present.

Nothing I would say is an absolute flop.

There weren't any flops this year, but I do have to return a few things because because of fit or not working properly. I have to return a GPS because it was used, when I went to program home address it already had somebody's in there :laughing:
The biggest hits were my dd's iphone, my ds's ipod touch, my other ds's remote control 4-wheelers, and dh's Carharrt jacket and my Michael Kors purse.

Put it on a simple chain and wear it a few times as a necklace.

This is what I would do, too.

All gifts were well received here. I bought my younger son an Imaginext Jumbo Jet and Air Control Tower as an afterthought when I saw that Fisher Price was having a good sale. I figured it would be too young for him, but he wanted an airplane. Well, he has not left that toy alone! He just adores it all!! And it is pretty cool - the tower and plane "talk" to each other. It's pretty neat.

I received the necklace I asked for, then all 3 of my males went to B&BW and each picked out 2 lotions they loved, and then I got a beautiful pair of gloves...so warm and nice looking. I kind of felt bad that I did not get Dh more creative things. He got the ear/nose hair trimmer he had been eyeing up (gag, I know), a movie, and a coffee table book about the ballparks in the U S.

My kids were thrilled with their electronics - 3DS and iPod Touch. But really, it's the other things they liked more - the bowling bag, yo-yo, plane toy, hoodies. I could have saved myself some $$$ lol

My mom and my DH both got me the same boots, they came from Macy's and we don't have a Macy's, so I'll have to mail them back. I did really want these boots, so I'm happy that I got them! My DH also got me a Movado watch, it's pretty, but so expensive! I could think of a lot of more useful items for that kind of money! He also bought it off eBay, so I can't return it! I don't know what he was thinking!
Almost everything was a flop for my 8 year old DS, but he's been really sick since Sunday and really grumpy! Fever, headache, coughing, even throwing up but just from the big uncontrollable coughing fits. I think when he's feeling better he'll love them, hopefully!

No flops for us. 1 DD has boots that need to be exchanged due to size and the other DD got 2 pairs of identical Converse sneakers.

DH got me a new car radio which I am excited about. Other radio won't get my stations and the dial is starting to fade.

I got Dh one piece of Disney stock in a frame. He loves it.

My girls got lots from their aunts and uncles ranging from money to concert tickets. Now they are relaxing at home.

Strangely, everything DD4 got from Santa was a massive hit. Even the educational things that she didn't ask for. She kept going, "THIS IS GREAT! I REALLY WANTED THIS!" to everything she opened.

I think I will keep her. ;)

only one flop, and I feel awful about it. My dh had a ring custom made for me.iHe had it engraved inside the shank, but it doesn't fit any finger, and because of the engraving can't be sized. it is not my taste at all, and I think he was disappointed in my reaction. not sure what to do as I can't wear it or exchange it.

I've been thinking about you since I read this and I feel awful for you. The only solution I can think of is to have it sized and then re-engrave it once they smooth out the shank, but you don't like the ring anyway for starters.

No flops here and all better than anticipated.

DS20 was thrilled with his new pitching glove and PS4, PS 4 games and extra controller, as well as the visa gift cards, Dunkin donuts gift cards and some small items.

DH thrilled with sound bar and dvd's, new watch and restaurant gift certificates

I received a new Dooney bag, Coach bag, ceramic tea pot for herbal tea (loose tea) and various small things.

However, the best gift was my mom had a great Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. She is quite ill with blocked brain artery and has had many strokes. This fall found her in complete kidney failure and now on dialysis, a lung nodule, heart at 35% function and a 100% blocked cardiac artery, 93% blocked coronary artery ......the other 2 were at 85% and now have stents. She is very sick and who knows how long she has left. She is home bound for the most part with my dad as primary caregiver. She has chronic pain and she was feeling pretty good (for her) the past 2 days. She enjoyed the holidays and ate better than she has in a long time. We had a very nice 2 days enjoying her and counting our blessings

My 5 year old got a couple of "tv stuff" things...a flippeez cat hat, nickelodeon's GAK - 3 colors...

She loved the Flutterbye Fairy, and the Monster High dolls.

Most of all, she got the Barbie dreamhouse. By the way...Barbie can go die in a fire INSIDE that dreamhouse. My hubby and I were up until 1am Christmas Eve night trying to put that daggone thing together.

Strangely, everything DD4 got from Santa was a massive hit. Even the educational things that she didn't ask for. She kept going, "THIS IS GREAT! I REALLY WANTED THIS!" to everything she opened.

I think I will keep her. ;)

My youngest is 10 and he was so excited with everything he opened. He knew the bigger things he was getting but he loved all his little surprises. Meanwhile my 2 teens were happy with what they opened but not overly excited like he was. I hope its the same next year, but I know someday he'll be just like his sister and brother.
Enjoy it while it lasts!

My 14 year old nephew upon opening up the box with a six pack of RL white crew socks "Thank you god!"

It was the only thing he said other than the generic thank you the entire time opening up presents.

Seems not only had he gone through all of his, but had stolen his brothers and his dad's.

His twin was excited about his new basketball shoes (collects Jordans) as my mom and his dad each bought him a pair.

The Scooby Doo fruit snacks as stocking stuffer were well received as well.

They are pretty easy to please.

they mostly got clothes but they wanted clothes

But, I got the BIG winner this year: A completely redecorated laundry room. Primarily from DD16, but she got some help from dad, two aunts and one cousin.
It's GORGEOUS and very Pinterest-y. Just my style. :lovestruc
It's super feminine with coral, deep rose and soft blue accents. She cleaned from top to bottom, eliminated a ton of old clutter that had gathered over the years, added shelves and cabinets, new curtains and a coordinating cover for the iron. She gave an old ladder a rustic paint job and suspended it from the wall for hanging clothes. DN even made coordinated artwork for the walls.
She wrapped the doorway with wrapping paper on Christmas Eve. :rotfl:
I spent half my morning in there admiring everything. Love, love, love it.

This is so sweet and thoughtful for a 16 year old to do!

DH and I both got each other two duplicate gifts : pinot noir glasses and food keepers. Though he got me Airscape Lite containers which seem to be cooler than the ones I got him.

His best seems to be the better flash for his camera, and a new headlamp. This is a guy that can never have enough light.

DD 22 is a wonderful gift receiver, so it's hard to tell which she likes best. Probably the Nintendo 3DS she spent the rest of the day with. Though the Lululemon stuff was very well received too.

I wanted and received an Aerogarden to grow fresh herbs. But was stunned to get a new wedding band. I had seen a diamond guard band at my jeweler friend's shop that fit around my art deco solitaire ring. She told me it had sold, so I was SO surprised! Well, yes, it did sell!

We all enjoyed a singing Minion toy I got for DD!

No flops here, but the biggest hits were the Wooly Willie's I put in the kids (ages 18, 20, 22 and 22) stockings as a joke! They played with them all afternoon. Also big hits were the key chain animals with the eyes light up and they make the animal noise when you hit the button.

For DD11, she loved, loved, loved the $4 giant thing of cheese puffballs from Target. :confused3 I always tell her no when she tries to buy it, so she over the moon. Her favorite thing was a Galaxy Tab3. I got an awesome price on it and she was totally surprised. I guess flop would be the Saige AG stuff. :sad2: She really, really wanted it when my brother ordered it for her over the summer, but I think she's aging away from dolls.

For me, I loved this little mini battery thingy for my phone and I got a kitten! We picked him up last week and he's so cuddly and playful. It's been a long time since we had any babies of any species in the house and he keeps everyone laughing. Plus he likes me best. :rolleyes1 For a flop, DH and DD picked out this heart necklace. It's big and I don't 'do' heart stuff so I'm not sure what they were thinking. I'll wear it a few times but DD was so excited about it I'm not going to even mention returning it. DMIL also spent way too much money on this personalized gaudy heart sweatshirt that I'll never, ever wear.

For DH, he loved his 10th doctor who sonic screwdriver. It was a last minute gag gift and he was so excited. He also got a new air compressor, but it wasn't nearly as cool as the screwdriver. :lmao: Flop: the gaudy personalized sweatshirt 2 sizes too small that matches mine from his mother. It has pink stick figures on it and says DH's Favorite Things with mine and DD's name on it. She got mad he wasn't wearing it and made a snarky comment about it being the largest size they had. She knows he was recently put on a thyroid med and he's been struggling with losing weight, so it was rather cruel. Ugh. :furious: Another thing to add to the long list of why we avoid them when we can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter