What was it like to have ADD/ADHD as a child?

I had mild ADD. For me, it was hard not to talk when I wasn't supposed to and I'd daydream a lot. Drift off when the teacher was talking, etc. I still do that. It's hard to fight at times, especially when I'm tired.

Sometimes I'd get a vague feeling that I was different or that kids were somehow treating me different from other kids. But, not that often, really. I always had plenty of friends.

I don't have ADD/ADHD but we saw a movie one year that "showed" what it was like to have ADD/ADHD. The woman conducting the seminar was amazing (she was the "teacher" in the movie). She had her class (all teachers) and she started the "class" by saying, "everyone open your desk", as they opened their desks the teacher would start talking about the problem the did on page 48 and then asked one of the "students" why they didn't finish the problem yet and why where they still digging in their desk. This all took place in a span of about 8 seconds so they barely had time to open their desks. Then she went on to start reading some material out of a textbook but started in mid sentence, mid chaper, read about 4 words and then asked another student what the answer to the question was....

My head is spinning just thinking about that movie. I WISH I could remember who it was that did the presentation and movie though (but this was probably 10 years ago or more and my memory isn't what it used to be :lmao:).

I don't have ADD/ADHD but we saw a movie one year that "showed" what it was like to have ADD/ADHD. The woman conducting the seminar was amazing (she was the "teacher" in the movie). She had her class (all teachers) and she started the "class" by saying, "everyone open your desk", as they opened their desks the teacher would start talking about the problem the did on page 48 and then asked one of the "students" why they didn't finish the problem yet and why where they still digging in their desk. This all took place in a span of about 8 seconds so they barely had time to open their desks. Then she went on to start reading some material out of a textbook but started in mid sentence, mid chaper, read about 4 words and then asked another student what the answer to the question was....

My head is spinning just thinking about that movie. I WISH I could remember who it was that did the presentation and movie though (but this was probably 10 years ago or more and my memory isn't what it used to be :lmao:).

I'd love to know more about this - some family members might benefit from seeing something like it.

I had a training on ADHD and LDs where we had to watch a really good video series by this guy. I wish I could remember his name, because everyone who has a child in school should watch it (definitely every teacher/para).

It seems like his first name was Rick, but that's all I remember. :( I'll keep trying to think of it.

I had a training on ADHD and LDs where we had to watch a really good video series by this guy. I wish I could remember his name, because everyone who has a child in school should watch it (definitely every teacher/para).

It seems like his first name was Rick, but that's all I remember. :( I'll keep trying to think of it.

I just sent an email to the woman who organized the training. I'll let you know if she gives me a name.

We didn't have that when I was a child. You could either do the work or not.

My best example...

My head got foggy when I was listening to the teacher and I would zone out. I wouldn't "not" want to pay attention, but I had difficulty. I made do--I don't take notes fast enough. Terrible with them.

I had bad impulse control in first grade (my first year of school). Did some things today that made me think of where I thought that was appropriate. A few are embarrassing, so I won't fess up.

Since I had an issue with authority--i.e. did not want to get in trouble for any reason...I learned by negative association to not cave to those impulses. Which led to doing other things (nail biting) to control it. I still had some moments...like screaming during lab time (audio tape for a listening exercise and headphones--and forgetting that....though "I" can't hear me--my fellow 4th graders could...if looks could kill from that teacher.:laughing:

As I got older--classes that were more mentally stimulating and exhausting--I did better in. I loved math in the morning as it was the greatest start to my day.

Some days felt like my day was being entirely run in fast forward. Don't know how to explain it.

I was "weird" from a social perspective and take a long time to acclimate which was bad since I moved a bunch--by the time I acclimated and had friends, it was time to move.:confused3

I will say that all though "We did not have that as a child"--it didn't mean that kids didn't suffer. I had atrocious study skills--and I had no memory for reading chapters and having to take a pop quiz. I would have to spend hours on that reading assignment to be able to retain enough information for a pop quiz. Unless it was math. It really stank! Thus-I had surprise tests.

My daughter has similar issues--and since I home educate, I can adjust. Instead of just reading a chapter and letting her not remember squat, the curriculum we have, will have many supplemental books on the subject.

So she may not remember the generalities let alone specifics after reading 1 book or chapter...but when we read 10 books on a topic....she remembers much more. That constant exposure is really helpful.

GOLFGAL--if you can remember that movie, I would love the title.:goodvibes

Is it Richard Lavoie ? I was looking up to see if I could find the movie I saw and found this--it sounds similar to what I saw too

Is it Richard Lavoie ? I was looking up to see if I could find the movie I saw and found this--it sounds similar to what I saw too

I saw this several years ago and didn't remember til this post. I think you're right. I need to watch it again.

Thanks LLP, that helps a lot. :)

Depends on what era you were raised in. Had ADD been "around" when I was a kid, I'd probably be diagnosed as mild (daydream, couldn't focus or listen well - behavior wasn't a problem though). My parents' solution was a smack across the head and a threat to concentrate. :lmao:

I'm still a very random person, who can easily lose focus - but I've gotten to be a decent multi-tasker (motherhood leaves no choice) and use that excessive energy well.

Of the schoolmates who would be considered mild ADHD now, I think only one was on medication. The rest - if tended to - were cutting out the sugar after a certain hour or put in plenty of sports. Those were mild cases, of course.

http://www.asdfriendly.org/board/index.php?showtopic=18697

Here is a link to a site that has part of this video on youtube. And, just to show you where my memory was, THIS is the video I saw-She is a HE, Richard Lavoie :lmao:. If you watch the "processing" video he is discussing the exercise they did-not shown. You can buy a video of this through PBS and other sites though I found during my search. It is WELL worth getting if you are a teacher.

http://www.asdfriendly.org/board/index.php?showtopic=18697

Here is a link to a site that has part of this video on youtube. And, just to show you where my memory was, THIS is the video I saw-She is a HE, Richard Lavoie :lmao:. If you watch the "processing" video he is discussing the exercise they did-not shown. You can buy a video of this through PBS and other sites though I found during my search. It is WELL worth getting if you are a teacher.

His Motivation Breakthrough series is excellent, too!

I saw "A.D.D. & Loving It!?" on PBS last winter. I ordered the dvd. It is supposed to be...what I will call...lighthearted as it is put together by comedian, Patrick McKenna.

"Comedian Patrick McKenna seeks a diagnosis for ADHD and learns the facts from an impressive array of experts (some whom have ADHD themselves) including researchers, psychiatrists, psychologists, professors, and award winning authors. Along the way Patrick reveals how his life as a husband and father are affected by ADD and shares candid moments as he and his wife Janis work toward his diagnosis."

It has been a while since I have seen it but there are parts of it that are just heartbreaking to watch....as adults describe how they were treated as children in school not knowing why they weren't learning the same way other children were and how terrible some teachers treated them when they couldn't 'keep up'.

I don't see it on the PBS site anymore but I did find info about it at A.D.D. Resource Center and the dvd at Amazon.com.

I would say the humor in the production may not appeal to everyone but the information is good.

Ok, one last question. As a young child with ADHD (not medicated), how would you feel if you changed classes every hour like they do in high school? Would it help or hurt?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter