• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What was something you let someone borrow and never got back?

Two things that really tick me off:
The Michael Penn album March on cassette tape.
And a paperback novel Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto.

Not sure if this exist in the US, it's a German tradition that came to the Netherlands: A poetry book.

In the late eighties, in the Netherlands, mainly young girls had a small book that you gave to friends and family, who then wrote a little rhyme/verse/poetry in it about the owner, their relationship, a wish etc. short and sweet, with a picture to go with it for decoration.

I gave my book to one of my teachers when I was about 6 years old, and I never saw it back. To whoever you gave it to, they took it home to think about what to write and after a few days you got it back. Soon after that the teacher got a new position and left the school.
It was my second book, the most important people were in my first, so not a total disaster, I still remember that I didn't get that book back.

Example from Anne Frank written in 1940 (which is an appropriate thing to add, as today is Memorial Day in the Netherlands)
She wishes her friend Bep a life without worry and disasters and that God may bless her.
Poeziealbum-versje-Anne-004-750x521.jpg

I loaned our very expensive dollie to a guy, who then loaned it to someone else. We never saw it after that.

Mostly money, but I didn’t expect it back. I’ve also lent people things and then told them to keep them if they wanted.

My ex roommate stole a few things that were in her room when she when she moved out, but the only one i remember was a Hollywood Tower Hotel doorknob sign that my wife really loved. She lent it to her for one week and it somehow ended up on the inside of her door, then packed up with her stuff.

2 pieces of piano sheet music, to 2 different friends. I was able to buy one of them online recently, the exact version, but still haven't found the other one. Still hopeful that I'll find it some day!

a book I had purchased in Germany as a teenager. I loaned it to a coworker in my 20's. When I finally asked for it back she told me she had thrown it out, she thought I didn't want it back 😡

When I was in high school I had been reading a book in class. A girl who sat near me in my art class asked what I was reading and if she could borrow it. I said sure. She told me to make sure I brought it on a specific day. I thought that was odd but said ok. Then I never saw her in class again. Turns out that had been her last day, she moved away and took my book with her. I always thought that was a strange thing to purposefully do. It wasn’t even any kind of popular book. I was a big fan of the movie beaches and this book was the sequel to the book Beaches. This was in the mid 90s so it was several years after the movie had been out.

I loaned one of my big coffee table books to a co-worker. It was a 20th century fashion book, and she was going to a party and wanted to dress up like a 1920's flapper. I *adored* that book. Never got it back, and now I don't loan my stuff out. Money, I give without the expectation of getting it back so I'm never disappointed.

Years ago I lent a home video of my dd to one of her classmates parents. It was an occasion at school and she was going to make a copy and return it. There were other videos in this of another occasion which I am sad that I don’t have anymore. They never gave the video back even though I asked for it and our kids were even friends for a few years after this. I assume maybe they lost it??????

My kids are always borrowing things....some I get back and others I don't.
I can't keep track anymore....figure they will get them someday anyway,

Unfortunately yes, I lent a co-worker my copy of Linda McCartney's cookbook. I loved that book, it had lots of family pictures and family stories such as how they became vegetarians. After several months of not getting the book back I finally asked her to return the book, she said she couldn't find it...nothing like taking care of other people's property. I was very disappointed to say the least and I learned a valuable lesson; if you have something that you value it's best not to lend it out.

I tried to buy another copy but I wasn’t able to find it anywhere...

I don’t loan money, but I do give it from time to time.

One thing I did loan and never see again was my carpet shampooer. I need to get a new one but haven’t done it yet.

I loaned my paperback copy of “Jaws” to an aunt in 1975 and still haven’t received it back. A year or two later I bought another copy at a used book store for 50 cents.

Concrete Blonde’s “Bloodletting” CD to a former coworker.

On the other hand, I still have a different former coworker’s CD, Michael Jackson’s “Off the Wall.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter