What was the biggest trend at your school?

LOL. Class of '75 in Sacramento California. I don't recall Nike being that big a deal. I see a few pair in sports team photos in my yearbook, but most folks had Chucks.
Looking at my yearbook, there was an obsession with the movies "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and "Catcher in the Rye". Leather jackets were big. I was working security in a Department store my last 2 years of high school, and I know between selling them and having them shoplifted, we couldn't keep them on the rack.
I was thinking Pet Rock, but that didn't hit the stores until the end of 1975.
My class was big on "not doing what previous classes did". So I got cheated out of the usual all night trip to Disneyland, instead they rented a cabin at Lake Tahoe. 4 years I looked forward to that Disneyland trip.

I missed the trip to Disneyland too....another whose class didn't want to do the usual things.
Santa Clara, CA......so boy friend (now DH) and I went by ourselves. 3 days of no sleep.....bus, hotel lobby, airport.

bell bottoms, gogo boots (white). I wasn't part of the people that follow trends, but I wanted and got white gogo boots.
Don't remember Nikes either.

1986 here.
Moccasin Boots
Bandannas in every color
Feather Earrings
BIG Earrings, the bigger the better
BIG Hair
Roach Clips in you hair
Levi 501s
Thermals
Band Tees (extra points if it was Eddie)
Vans
Plaids-that’s right kids, plaids were a thing before grunge was even born
Long Hair on guys and girls-clean

Elementary/Middle school it was the rubber band animals that my school ended up banning cause us kids were too busy trading them during class. Pokemon cards, Yugioh cards.

High School- The whole scene kid/emo phase where the boys were in tight pants with long hair and checkered belts with the vans to match. I had different color hair.

LOL. Class of '75 in Sacramento California. I don't recall Nike being that big a deal. I see a few pair in sports team photos in my yearbook, but most folks had Chucks.
Looking at my yearbook, there was an obsession with the movies "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and "Catcher in the Rye". Leather jackets were big. I was working security in a Department store my last 2 years of high school, and I know between selling them and having them shoplifted, we couldn't keep them on the rack.
My class was big on "not doing what previous classes did". So I got cheated out of the usual all night trip to Disneyland, instead they rented a cabin at Lake Tahoe. 4 years I looked forward to that Disneyland trip.

Pssss, PP is from Oregon - Nike's headquarters is in Oregon. I suspect they may have been a "big deal" in say Eugene somewhat before they became a "big deal" in Sacramento ;)

1979 Designer jeans were de rigueur if you wanted to be with the cool crowd. Jordache, Calvin Klein, Gloria Vanderbilt, etc.

Elementary/Middle school it was the rubber band animals that my school ended up banning cause us kids were too busy trading them during class. Pokemon cards, Yugioh cards.

High School- The whole scene kid/emo phase where the boys were in tight pants with long hair and checkered belts with the vans to match. I had different color hair.
Oh! We had Chinese Jacks in middle school. I’d make “custom” patterns for my friends. It’s one trend that’s never come back. I think my youngest DD would love them.
48357C46-4C31-47B8-AEE0-1DF4AECE9FD5.jpeg

It was the 80's lol.

Weed
Neon colors( I didn't partake in this eye blinding trend)
Converse high tops

Aqua net for big poofy hair
Roach clip feathers for both your hair and weed

That all I can recall right now

Pssss, PP is from Oregon - Nike's headquarters is in Oregon. I suspect they may have been a "big deal" in say Eugene somewhat before they became a "big deal" in Sacramento ;)
They've been in business since 1964, so I think they were pretty well known nationally by 1975.

Right! Nike was big to us due to it's association with the University of Oregon located in Eugene.

Member's Only Jackets
Panama Jack shirts
Gloria Vanderbilt jeans
Big hair
Nike's
Jams flower print shorts
Blue eyeshadow
Turned up collars
A those slouchy aerobic socks
Baggy jeans
mullets

1986 in the South

We wore uniforms in my elementary school, so we didn't really have that much individuality. However, the one thing that was exceedingly popular was the Derby jacket. Not sure why. I remember once I lost mine and went to the lost and found. There must have been about 20 of them.

Mid 90s for high school. I went to Catholic school and we had uniforms, but we had trends with outerwear and shoes. Some of these were:

Doc Martens
Flannel shirts
Starter Jackets (the pullover and the satin ones)
Fila sneakers
Kool-Aid dyed hair
Scrunchies
Slouch socks
Pagers
Jean jackets
Sweatpants under the uniform skirt in winter
Boxer shorts under the skirt in warmer weather.
Rolled skirts and shirts not tucked in
Varsity Jackets

"Levi's Cords" in every color.

I had forest green, maroon, gray and dark blue. Loved my cords

I don't remember Nike's either. It was Adidas back then. 75 Rio Linda and I got to go to DL that night. Sorry. We had 3 buses going but ours broke down under the railroad overhead on 99 just before the first offramp downtown. We sat there for 3 hours. At the time, we were upset but the good news was, everyone else had been sitting in the DL parking lot for 4 hours waiting for grad nite to open. We got to stop for dinner and got there 15 minutes before grad nite. You forgot one movie..the Exorcist. Our cheerleaders got in trouble for cutting school to go see it and got banned from cheering that night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter