What was the first book you read yourself

That is a very hard question to answer. I don’t want to count “Go DogGo” so will have to say Bambi By Felix Salten. An awesome book that is intimate but epic. It makes you feel that a long tome has passed but is not a long book to read. A bot mor realistic
than the Disney movie.

I remember the Dick and Jane books with their dog Spot in first grade.
I also loved the book "Put Me In The Zoo" when I was little.
I remember acting out a Dick/Jane/Sally book in first grade, and the teacher kept replacing Sally because nobody was doing it right. Sally was at the kitchen counter, standing on a chair. Problem was, standing on a classroom chair put your knees at table level, which was silly.

As for the first book I read? Really? More than a half century ago? In an entirely different millennium? I dunno, probably a Dr. Seuss book.

The first one I remember is Go Dog Go. My great-aunt brought it as a gift when I was 3, and I found out years later that she did it because my grandmother had been bragging about how early I'd learned to read and she thought I'd actually just memorized the books I had at my grandmother's house. So she gave me a new one, and I sat down and read it to them both.

First chapter book I read by myself was probably "Ramona Quimby Age 8" by Beverly Cleary.

First real book I read on my own - I don't remember.

I don't remember the exact first book I read, but I do remember having both of these:
"Are you my mother"
poYpnf9Vj
("We Help Daddy" too!)

and reading these in school:
Dick and Jane

Eloise Wilkin is still one of my favorite artists!
http://literature4kids.com/eloise-wilkin-illustrator-little-golden-books/

I can't remember the name, but it was a Bobsey Twins Book. I loved them. Also Nancy Drew Mysteries.
Now you know how old I am:) still reading a lot, but now Pendergast series by Lincoln/Child.
Thanks, OP, for this thread. I have never thought of this before....good memories.

I have no idea of my first book. I remember Dick and Jane in first grade class, but I think I was already reading by then. My guess would be Cat in the Hat.

However, I do remember reading Amelia Bedelia all the time as a kid. I loved the predicaments she would get her self into. :)

I remember lots of favorite Golden Books at home (? Chicken Little maybe) and definitely Dick and Jane and Spot in school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter