What was your first credit card?

AndreaDM

<font color=red>Yeah...we mainly colored that day<
I didn't want to derail the main CC thread so thought I'd start this one. I was just thinking about all the dumb things I did back in the day and how far I've come in being financially responsible. I never carry a balance anymore, but back in the day, ugh, I don't even want to think about how much interest I've paid in stupid fees! I think the very first card I got was back in 1989 (I would have been 20) and signed up for a Sears card at the mall because they had some free gift if you did. I cannot for the life of me remember the free gift, but I know that was common back then. CC companies would have a kiosk everywhere, concerts, sporting events, colleges, etc. and offer a free shirt of something like that for signing up. You got the gift whether you were approved or not. The oldest card still on my account that is open is a Macy's card that rarely gets used, it was opened in 1993 and has a credit limit of $250 lol.

Follow up question, does anyone who is trying to reach a bonus on a new card, or simply trying to accumulate points ever even use a store card? Is the store discount worth it? Kohl's tries to get me every time I shop there but I know better than to waste one of my slots to a store card now. The only time Macy's gets used is for example, my daughter's homecoming dress, a bigger purchase plus I got an extra 20% off for using the card.

I think my first one was a card from my credit union. I still have it and it still has the same $500 limit from when I was 18. It came with absolutely no benefits (and still has none).

I think my first major credit card was a discover card.

My first one was J.C. Penney. I was single, working as a secretary and didn't have much money so that was the best place to buy clothes. After that I got a Macy's (which was Davidson here locally at the time) and a Belks. Didn't have a Visa or Mastercard for years. Now all of them are paid off and closed. I have one MC that I pay off monthly, it earns cash with purchases.

My first credit card was Fashion Bug back in 1989. Unfortunately they closed or I would still have it, and still be shopping there.

My first credit card was Fashion Bug back in 1989. Unfortunately they closed or I would still have it, and still be shopping there.

My first card was a Capital One card. I got it when I was 18 and in my first year of college. I still have it. Whatever card it was is no longer around so they changed it to a quicksilver a few years back.

Oh my gosh, I forgot about Fashion Bug! My best friend LOVED that place.

A Citibank card, offered at my college bookstore, first semester of freshman year. With a $500 limit and a free t-shirt. I don't have the shirt anymore, but I still have the card and the limit is 50 times that now. It sure helps on the credit score! I don't do store cards, as I prefer my travel rewards.

Citibank. First limit was 2000-2500 I think. Still have the same account, which changed to Thank You Rewards when they closed the other account type, but the limit is now over 10x that.

American Express.

Early 1970’s when I was an undergraduate, they had an on campus promotion. Still the card I use most.

First credit card, Montgomery Ward. Applied, got a rejection letter in the mail one day, and the next day got the credit card with a letter saying they had reviewed my rejection and reversed it. Closed now with them out of business
Second credit card. ARCO gasoline. Then they stopped taking credit cards, so closed.
Third credit card Mobil gasoline, then they closed all their gas stations here. So closed. They have opened 3 gas stations in this area recent.
Fourth, Visa. Got it in 1978, still open.
Fifth. Neiman Marcus, because my wife had to have it. Never use it.
Sixth. Visa, opened when my bank was sold and I thought I would hate the big bank that bought them. I loved the big bank, closed this card about 20 years ago

Lol that reminds me of my dad giving me a gas card when I was a teenager. That didn't last long when he realized I was using it for snacks and soda!
!

In college, you would walk past the kiosk and they would give you $2 to fill out an application. That is lunch! Once they had free tupperware. Yay!

For store cards, I love my Target card. 5% off every purchase immediately (even clearance items).

In college, you would walk past the kiosk and they would give you $2 to fill out an application. That is lunch! Once they had free tupperware. Yay!

For store cards, I love my Target card. 5% off every purchase immediately (even clearance items).

I use my Target debit card there all the time. %5 off plus I can get cash back if I need it with no fees.

I still have it. I was 19, in college, researched consumer reports that recommended USAA as a great no fee card. I got my mom to signup with me so I could have her good credit score and a higher limit too than what I thought I could get on my own, and then had her drop off after a year. Always have paid credit cards in full each month. Had some good summer jobs in college (US Steel with union influence was the one where I made the most money), had a part time campus job (math department secretary / calculus grader for 10 hours a week), had tuition free (mom was a professor), mom and dad paid for my room, board, and books so I was actually saving a little bit of money while going to school over those four years.

I now mostly use a Southwest Visa for the frequent flyer miles, but still use the USAA one as a backup card (no fee card) and who can't love a card that if you are super busy and send your payment in two days late, doesn't charge you a late fee and pro-rates the interest that you pay for the one or two days (no need to call when they charge you 45 cents for being two days late).

Last edited:
Kay Jewelers. Then came Strawbridge & Clothier and Bamberger's which later became Macy's.
Ahh the good ol days, when clothing was so well made. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter