• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What was your first resort?

1995 was our first year, we stayed at the Swan, my husband was reluctant to go. He felt not a place for adults, we have no kids. Well let me tell you, he was blown away on how amazing Disney truly is. Not long after returning home, at the time we lived in NY, we now live in FL, he asked when r we going back! Disney has that feel good feeling for everyone! We have returned countless times, especially since we have been living here since 2001, we are so lucky only a three hour drive!

We first stayed at the Contemporary Resort. Never returned because Yacht Club/Beach Club became our favorites.

First time i stayed at a Disney resort I was 5 years old and shades of green was being renovated, so they placed us in the north garden wing rooms at the contemporary! Those rooms don't exist anymore, they were demolished and replaced with Bay Lake Tower :)

Last edited:

The Poly and it is one of our least favorite now. We love YC CL best.

First stay in the bubble was Fort Wilderness cabins as a kid. I remember my parents ts telling us we were going camping and packing us in our big old van. Woke up to the Disney entrance sign and my parents bribed me not to wake my 6 siblings and spoil the surprise 🤣

It was around Thanksgiving, and it was so much fun!

I took my family of 7, my husband and twin stepsons' first time, for Christmas 2018, and I put us up in the Fort Wilderness cabins for a week; total of 7 people but they let our infant daughter squeeze in.

If I could replicate that trip every year I could rest happy. The face of the teens lighting up, having never dreamed of going. Skipping down main street with all the Christmas decor. Kids felt like celebrities with their resort mugs and complimentary magic bands, all our meals prepaid. Laughing because the kids insisited on going in the pool even though it was like 50 degrees outside, swimming until their lips turned purple, claiming they weren't cold, because they had never swam in such a nice pool with a water slide and didn't want to get out. Every time we got on and off rides or transport I had to count my little ducks. It was just so magical 🤩

It is definitely my favorite place to stay at but now that our daughter is 4 they won't let us squeeze in the cabins anymore unless I rent two 😭

Contemporary when I was 6 years old and my parents took me. (Don't think there were may resorts back then as this was 40-something years ago).

Returning to Contemporary for the first time since then, taking our kids who are 17 and 13....,so the resort has a special place in my heart.

Our first onsite stay was at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort and its our favorite resort of all that we have stayed in. We have also stayed at Movies, Music, Art of Animation, Pop Century, French Quarter and Coronado Springs.

Fort Wilderness was my first stay and we’ve been back there twice since then (once towing our own camper). A nice blending of two of our enjoyable activities!

I'm just curious where everyone stayed for their first on-property trip. Have you stayed at that resort again? Is it one of your favorites?

The first time we stayed in the bubble was at Coronado. We haven't stayed there since, but we're going back in May and I'm so excited!
My first stay was in 1973 when I was a kid. I have stayed at a lot of resorts since including the Contemporary . We are planning a trip next year and I am planning on booking a few days at the Contemporary to mark the 50th anniversary of my first visit,

Polynesian in 2003 with my family when I was a kid! I absolutely loved it and still have fond memories there. I would love to stay again but will need to do some saving as I'm sure it's much more spendy now than it was in the early 2000's (and now I have to pay for it since I'm not a kid anymore😂)

In Disneyland I've stayed at Paradise Pier and the Grand Californian. I've visited Disneyland Hotel several times (mostly to go to Trader Sam's 😉), but never stayed there.

Next month, I will be staying at a Disney World resort for the first time as an adult and I'm so excited! My husband and I are staying at the Wilderness Lodge.

I have a feeling this will break the seal to future WDW trips. I've sort of put off WDW in favor for DLR (it's closer to me) and I've always been super intimidated by WDW. But I'm pretty deep into research and am getting super excited for my trip next month! I know I'll want to plan another as soon as I'm back haha.

Our first visit was POR. We’ve stayed 2 other times since then. We liked it and still do, but I like trying other resorts. Our next visit will be at POFQ

AKL. Don’t intend to ever go back for more than a night or two and just to do AKL/AK. Cool hotel but walked forever to get the room and the buses took forever to get to the parks. I clocked 25 mins one night coming back from MK and started getting motion sick- that moment was the end for AKL and me.

I stayed at the now defunct WDW Golf Resort (now Shades of Green) when I was really young on my first ever WDW trip. It wasn't really my thing....I'm sure my dad enjoyed it being an avid golfer at the time. The first ever resort I booked as an adult was the Polynesian as THAT was the resort I truly wanted to stay at when I was young.

…I have a feeling this will break the seal to future WDW trips. I've sort of put off WDW in favor for DLR (it's closer to me) and I've always been super intimidated by WDW. But I'm pretty deep into research and am getting super excited for my trip next month! I know I'll want to plan another as soon as I'm back haha.
My first trip to WDW broke the seal for this Californian so prep the budget 😆 The back of my mind is usually trying to figure out when my next trip might be as I sit in MCO waiting to go back home…

Our 1st resort was Fort Wilderness cabins in January 2010. We wanted lots of room, plus a bedroom to put down the little one. We got a buy 4, get 3 free deal - resort, tickets and dining! SUCH a deal. I did all the research, rented a golf cart, all the things. Only thing that I didn't plan on was it being 30 DEGREES outside for our trip. We dealt with it, and had a grand time, but wow. It even snowed one day. Our 3 year old refused to put on a anything warm, so we had to wrap her in a blanket, screaming, for the boat ride to MK. I think I still have PTSD from it, even though my husband was the one holding her.

Our very first day at MK with ears on was not what I had dreamed:
DSC_0016_hq.JPG

but it got better:

DSC_0296_hq.JPG
I think the pink blanket ⬆️ was from the cabin.

DSC_0035_hq.JPG

I think we spend $500 on Disney warm clothes - gloves, hats, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter