What were your favourite days out as a kid?

We pretty much didn't go anywhere when I was a kid. Just played in the neighborhood. On Sundays we would take a Sunday ride and just all pile in the car and Daddy would take off to nowhere in particular. Depending on where we were living we might end up in the middle of the dessert or on a lake or river. We did used to go fishing a lot when we were kids.

For a "normal day" type answer - my mom and I would often pick up my grandma on Saturdays and take her to mall to do her shopping, then we'd get lunch and ice cream at Friendly's.

For more of an "event" answer - the county fair was held in our town for a week every summer, and I remember always being excited to go!

When I was little, Mom would pack up her iron skillet and all the fixings and we'd head to the beach early in the morning. She would make bacon and eggs on the grill. Food cooked on the beach tastes so much better.

Disney and Universal. But I also loved our tax day tradition. We'd pile in the car to go get the tax forms hand canceled at the post office just before midnight, then go for a late-night treat at the local ice cream parlor. Just not the same filing online.

Really didn't take vacations as a kid. Our time off from school was going to grandparents in a different state. There were lots of kids in my neighborhood and we all hung out all the time. We'd walk or ride bikes everywhere. During the summer, it was going swimming in each other pools, going to the movies, and just hanging out.

Living on base, we had a big park where we all hang out. And at home, our row of houses faced another row of houses (and behind that was the tarmac), so people would hang out in the streets at certain hours. There was no frequent traffic in that area, and parents were usually out there on their porches. Pretty good community.

Our school district ran a fairly inexpensive and really fun summer day camp. Most of my friends and I went. I think I did that 1st thru 5th grade. It wasn’t summer school, just a district-provided camp with swimming lessons, crafts, story time, archery and sports. Loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter