What we''ve learned after several trips as DVC members

It took a few trips for us too. People here still look at me weird when I tell them we don't spend a lot of time in the parks.

For DW and I now, our trips are usually:
* hit the parks around 9-10. Largely focus on FP+ rides. We can usually get everything we want in FP+.
* have a decent lunch somewhere and scatter in some of the other low crowd rides (we love Spaceship Earth which never has a line. Epcot has a lot of these).
* back to the hotel depending on what time it is
* decide if it's wroth going back for fireworks (depends on where we are and which park)

More often then not we just mozey to the rides we want now without doing the Disney Death March. We have Fast Passes for what we care about and what we don't see, we will see some other time.

It also means that I've learned that all the tour pros are right: rope drop, swim, nap, evening park (usually a different park) is the best touring strategy.

This is the stage we're in as well. Best part of being a DVC member is being able to "go commando" in the parks at rope drop or in the evenings, but spend the hottest parts of the day back at the hotel, lounging in the pool or napping.

Now that we have a baby, though, we'll see how this changes. Baby's first trip to Disneyland will be in September (she'll be 19 months), and we're staying offsite (but just across the street). We're going to let her dictate what happens for the most part, but we're hoping she'll be comfortable enough in her stroller in the evenings that we can catch the shows. We'll see how it goes.

Hopping on this thread. We just purchased DVC @ BWV and it will interesting to see how it changes the way we vacation. We've been several times since 2009 and stayed at POR, POFQ, CBR, ASMo, as well as a townhouse offsite. I imagine owning DVC will cause us to slow it down and spend more time at the resort.

And this is how it all started with us. After a spell we realized we could spend time at top resorts around the country for less money.

I still enjoy Disney, but not for (our previous average) 24 nights a year.

There's just too much more out there...

MG

We are long time DVC members. Our first Disney trips were at POP and Allstars. Rope Drop, park till noon, food court, pool, back to parks. DVC changed that. Still did rope drop, back before noon then back late to parks. Having more room made being at the resort a lot more enjoyable. Boardwalk is our home resort so some night we would just hang out there. Being just a walk away maybe just head to Epcot or Hollywood for a certain ride or fireworks.
We have just moved to Tampa, kids in college and little grandchildren in the Orlando area. We tour so much different. We not longer do rope drop. We now do a studio for a Saturday night. Fast pass has been a great thing. We arrive at the resort early, room may or maynot be ready. Head to our first fast-pass. Now it back to the resort for Lupper or liner then back for evening fast passes. Sunday is resort day, sleep in then lounge by the pool. DVC has totally change the way we tour and has changed over time.
Nothing to do with DVC, except the discount for annual pass, living in the area and Annual Pass has totally changed our touring. Before we felt we had to get the most park time for our ticket.

I am heading to BWV in September for my second solo trip. BWV is my home resort. My AP expired and I don't plan on buying park tickets. I just want to relax and enjoy the resort.

We are very much in commando mode. Next month is my kids (4&6) second trip. We are getting as much done as we can and the idea of taking afternoon breaks makes me want to cry- because of how much we are spending. We just bought DVC (today!!) and I already know that our future trips are going to be so much more relaxed. Going more often, with points and ap's, is going to allow me to mentally accept taking those afternoon breaks. I'm not going to focus on the cost anymore. It's going to be amazing.

We are very much in commando mode. Next month is my kids (4&6) second trip. We are getting as much done as we can and the idea of taking afternoon breaks makes me want to cry- because of how much we are spending. We just bought DVC (today!!) and I already know that our future trips are going to be so much more relaxed. Going more often, with points and ap's, is going to allow me to mentally accept taking those afternoon breaks. I'm not going to focus on the cost anymore. It's going to be amazing.

Why commando?? You WILL be returning, so why "work" while on vacation.

Of course it's your vaca and I truly don't mean to try and dictate how you do it....

MG

Why commando?? You WILL be returning, so why "work" while on vacation.

Of course it's your vaca and I truly don't mean to try and dictate how you do it....

MG

Because when this trip was planned we had no intentions of buying DVC this soon. We probably would have saved some of the extras for a future trip if we had realized that. Two of the parks my kids and husband have never been to so we want them to experience as much there as they can. I just still have it in my head that we spend so much on this one trip and need to get our money's worth. I hope I can chill out more once we are there but I guess we will see!

We do the same. We were there for Christmas and New Years. We just went to the parks when our fast passes were available and then went back to the room. We went to the pool (well me) and hubby and the boys stayed in the community hall playing pool or games. We went to other hotels to just look at decorations and have breakfast or dinner. One of the best vacations without having to rush to do anything.

We're taking our first trip as DVC members this holiday season and although we're packing in as much as possible because we have other family members coming as well, we've also planned a June return. We know that on that trip, we can sit back, relax and really enjoy Disney as a vacation/staycation (at the resort). We've been to Disney so many times already, that we really can't wait to just kick back and do it differently.

The best feeling we have is that if we don't do it this trip we can do it next trip. There is no more commando for us. We too, spend more time at the resort. I'm still hoping we will want to do that when they are done at VWL.

We've been members fifteen years.

We are still park commandos. Or as much as we ever were. We don't take nearly as many trips as other members, and there isn't any reason I want to be in Disney other than parks and restaurants. And we've always headed back to the room when we want with or without DVC - when that happens depends on the time of the year.

We do use the kitchen - but for breakfast only - and pre-DVC we'd do pop tarts and breakfast bars and coffee in the room. Biggest difference is we now do eggs and cereal. I still don't want to cook on vacation - and I do want to dine at Jiko.

Our kids don't use the pool slide either - but that's a function of age, not of DVC. They've outgrown pool slides (for the most part) and are more pool bobbers.

While a lot of people do change their habits, I'd caution anyone buying that it isn't a given. How much you will change your habits depends a lot on what your habits currently are - and how much more you spend to get the changes to habits. i.e. if DVC changes how often you go and you are staying in a room with a kitchen - you are likely to be spending more money on Disney than you used to when you just booked a hotel room....

We've been a part of this since 1992. The original vacation club. And yes our habits have significantly changed over the years. We use to hit the parks commando early and come back to the pools/resort early afternoon. Now we golf in the morning, have fast passes in the late afternoon for the few rides we care to go on and just wing it from there. That being said, when the adult kids join us, all bets are off and the commando starts all over again!! All ok with me...although I prefer golf in the morning. Fore! :-) I do need to edit this a bit because we now do Vero Beach or Hilton Head more than WDW these days. Too crazy crowded there. But....when we do go...it's golf and maybe parks in the p.m. for an hour or so.

Last edited:
We've moved to Tampa from RI recently, this has totally change our Disney and DVC experience. This weekend we went to Vero Beach for Saturday stay. We packed up early in the morning arriving at 10:00, room was ready. Spending the whole day relaxing and enjoying the beach and pool, doing the same on Sunday. You might have to check out of your room at 11 but you can still use the resorts amenities for the day.

We left after 7:00 pm with a fastpass for Mine train at 11:00. Unfortunately thunderstorms canceled that idea.

On another note. At 7:00 am we met the conservation cast member on the beach. She informed us she would be excavating a recently hatched turtle nest up the beach. She met us and others about a quarter mile north of DVBR. After a few minutes of digging up hatched shells she shouted out she had a live one, she did that 15 more times. She released them after finishing up her task for documenting the nest findings. It's a sight we will never forget watching them make their way to the ocean.

It's great being a Vacation Club Member.

Completely agree. Love those special attractions at each park but after we've done them, home we go to our resort. We're very lucky to be able to do Disney this way now.

Been members for 15 years, I still don't want to take time to unpack. My vacation doesn't start till I get to MK and walk the first lap around, that will have to change since no longer FL residents and loosing our seasonal passes. I still stay in studio's, chomp at the bit every morning wanting to be there before rope drop (rarely works, husband takes to much time getting ready for my taste). I now feel it is ok not to stay all day but still want to be there for the fireworks (usually doesn't work, husband doesn't always care to see them again). I have slowed down allot, more to age than the mind wanting too. I do feel it is ok now to just wonder the park, no rush and don't have to ride everything. Also stay in the studios so we can go twice a year. Swam through Katrina, house needing gutting so what do we do hijack adult son's vehicle and headed to the World. Did manage to skip a trip and saved so we could go to Disney Tokyo, that was great. Have had to skip the past year so decided time for a cruise, 4 Day Bahamas -7 Nov 16. So when you see the gray haired lady chomping at the bit to get through the gate or standing in line with the kids to get Tigger's picture & autograph (for the 100th time) don't worry it's just me. Age has made me slow down but my heart wants to say pick up the pace. Waiting till the daughter-in-law will let us be there with the grandchildren. So being a member hasn't only changed my ways a bit (now I get to go two times a year). Love staying at Animal Kingdom Villas.

Love this thread...we have changed a ton from the beginning. Early on when kids were young take them out of school and go Commando all day. As they became older and had to go during peak periods, then we became more selective - mornings rope drop, afternoon chill time, back at night. Now we reserve fast passes and take it much slower....the prices are starting to bother me on tickets though. My favorite part of DVC is trying all of the different resorts, and picking the resorts that fit your desired vacations. If we want to hit Epcot and HS..then BWV/BCV, MK - then WLV, BLT, Poly.... Relax - OKW. Now we are going beyond the park areas....did two days at Vero and was completely relaxed. We have done SSR, OKW, BLT, BWV, BCV, WLV, and last Christmas because of a major reservation problem were upgraded to the Poly Bungalows - we did not want to leave the resort!!! Next Spring if $$$ work out and airline miles, etc... will try Aulani for first time for 25th anniversary and 50th B Day for my wife and I only. I do not believe we would have tried all of these without DVC, and of course the planning is half of the fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter