What will happen with Labadee stops?

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
Hi!

Anyone else wondering what will happen with stops in Labadee? (Due to the most recent events happening in Haiti.)

We currently have only one stop on our cruise: Labadee. I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed it…

But if they do, I have no idea what they would change it for?

I don't believe stops in Labadee have been cancelled due to unrest, or anything else, very often historically. The area is quite isolated from the rest of Haiti. People aren't allowed to go roam outside, and even excursions there are limited to the area. They do hire a few hundred locals. I'd be more concerned about Covid there, no vaccines in the country, high positivity rates.

The first cruise that was due to stop there has been changed. They changed the whole itinerary, now going to Costa Maya, Roatan, Cozumel and Cococay in lieu of Labadee, Nassau and Falmouth. Due to Covid though, not the unrest (and on June 7th so I'd believe that). I'm not sure what will happen to other cruises if they don't get control of the virus and start vaccinating people.

I don't believe stops in Labadee have been cancelled due to unrest, or anything else, very often historically. The area is quite isolated from the rest of Haiti. People aren't allowed to go roam outside, and even excursions there are limited to the area. They do hire a few hundred locals. I'd be more concerned about Covid there, no vaccines in the country, high positivity rates.

The first cruise that was due to stop there has been changed. They changed the whole itinerary, now going to Costa Maya, Roatan, Cozumel and Cococay in lieu of Labadee, Nassau and Falmouth. Due to Covid though, not the unrest (and on June 7th so I'd believe that). I'm not sure what will happen to other cruises if they don't get control of the virus and start vaccinating people.

I’m afraid I don’t know enough about Haiti’s history but I know they have struggled for as long as I can remember… That being said, I fear the most recent events could lead to even more severe unrest.

Labadee is only 30 minutes away from Cap Haitien…

And of course, COVID doesn’t help the situation.

Hi!

Anyone else wondering what will happen with stops in Labadee? (Due to the most recent events happening in Haiti.)

We currently have only one stop on our cruise: Labadee. I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed it…

But if they do, I have no idea what they would change it for?
Last time I was in Labadee it was mentioned that the area, which is leased to RCCL, is fenced with razor wire and the boundaries are patrolled by armed guards. It struck me as kind of tragic, actually, as are Haiti's conditions in general. :sad1:

Last time I was in Labadee it was mentioned that the area, which is leased to RCCL, is fenced with razor wire and the boundaries are patrolled by armed guards. It struck me as kind of tragic, actually, as are Haiti's conditions in general. :sad1:

Yes, this is what I have heard as well... Which is why I am wondering what will happen since things are now getting worst.

Haiti has been a political mess for a long long time

In my Coast Guard time I visited MANY times from the late 70's to the early 2000

The Labadee property had been leased by Royal by 1980 and development begun, but events caused them to walk away ... altho still holding the lease. I visited the property around '83 ...... partially built up ... but at the time, abandoned.

Last edited:
Haiti has been a political mess for a long long time

In my Coast Guard time I visited MANY times from the late 70's to the early 2000

The Labadee property had been leased by Royal by 1980 and development begun, but events caused them to walk away ... altho still holding the lease. I visited the property around '83 ...... partially built up ... but at the time, abandoned.

Interesting, I did not know that.

My September 5th sailing on Odyssey of the Seas has a stop at Labadee on Sept 7. I'm wondering if our itinerary gets changed, but so far, it has not. I did some homework, and the first two sailings that were scheduled to go there were both the Allure of the Seas and Symphony of the Seas were both on their August 29th Sailings.

Symphony was scheduled to arrive on September the 1st, but their itinerary was changed and no longer does. Allure is still set to arrive in Labadee on September 2nd. (Just one day after the Symphony was scheduled to go to it)

Generally they would likely swap to Coco Cay, but for our week at least Coco Cay seems full (A ship scheduled to be there every day of the week). So it may wind up being something like Cozumel instead of Labadee. Right now our stops are Labadee, Falmouth, and Nassau. (6 night cruise).

Here's the email those on the August 29th Symphony sailing got, this sailing was supposed to go to BOTH Labadee and Coco Cay:
Dear Guest,

We're looking forward to welcoming you onboard Symphony of the Seas for our August 29th, 2021 cruise. As we countdown to your sailing, we have an itinerary change to share with you.

As part of the guidance received from the CDC, we've implemented new boarding protocols and we'll need some extra time for check-in. As a result, we'll now depart from Miami, Florida at 7:00 PM, instead of 4:30 PM, and we've adjusted our time in Falmouth, Jamaica. Separately, to maintain your safety and wellbeing, we'll no longer visit Labadee due to the unrest in Haiti. Instead, we'll visit Nassau, Bahamas. We know how much time and effort go into planning your cruise with us, and we're sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. However, we're excited to take you to a new port! We know you'll have an excellent time. Below, please find our revised itinerary.

Day
Port of Call
Arrive
Depart
Sun​
Miami, Florida​
7:00 PM
Mon​
Cruising​
Tue​
Falmouth, Jamaica​
10:00 AM
6:00 PM
Wed​
Cruising
Thu​
Nassau, Bahamas
8:00 AM
Fri​
Perfect Day at CocoCay​
7:00 AM​
5:00 PM​
Sat​
Miami, Florida​
6:00 AM​

Get ready to explore the wonders of the Western Caribbean! Nestled right between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios, Falmouth is the perfect backdrop for discovery in Jamaica. Take a relaxing horseback ride along the shoreline in Chukkah Beach or head to the Water Square and jam out with the locals to live reggae. In Nassau, the Bahamian capital, you're never more than a few steps away from rhythmic percussions, appetizing flavors, and some of the clearest waters in the world. Our last stop will be in Perfect Day at CocoCay - a private destination unlike any in the world. While there, lounge in the Caribbean's largest freshwater pool, Oasis Lagoon, or take the plunge down North America's tallest waterslide, Daredevil's Peak! Soar to new heights on Up, Up & Away or just unwind at your leisure. Whether you're looking for thrills or simply want to chill, these ports have something for everyone!

As a reminder, we kindly ask that you arrive to the port during your pre-selected check-in window. This is imperative to ensure minimal wait time and less crowds during the boarding process.

Our Shore Excursions team will automatically reschedule any pre-paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions booked for Falmouth, Jamaica. And, any pre-paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions booked for Labadee, Haiti will automatically be refunded to your original form of payment. In the next few days, your updated tour information will be e-mailed to you. If you haven't booked your shore excursions yet, be sure to check out our Cruise Planner for your options to discover adventure in these exciting destinations.

Thanks for your understanding. We can't wait to welcome you onboard Symphony of the Seas!

What I suspect will happen is, ours will get swapped to Cozumel or maybe San Juan, but the cruising time required may force the whole thing to be redone (or at least reordered). Cruising that close to the peak of the hurricane season is always a wildcard when it comes to port stops anyway (Since they can and have changed at the last minute before depending on the proximity of a storm/hurricane). When Hurricane Dorian hammered the northern Bahamas 2 years ago a few ships actually went to Freeport after it passed just to assist the Bahamas with supplies (Even with guests still on it).

I'd like a beach day at one of the islands, but Odyssey is a brand new ship and also a class of ship we've never been on, so we'll take it. Just glad to be able to get out at all. If our itinerary changes I'll update here, and if it does not, I'll mention it here too.

Last edited:
My September 5th sailing on Odyssey of the Seas has a stop at Labadee on Sept 7. I'm wondering if our itinerary gets changed, but so far, it has not. I did some homework, and the first two sailings that were scheduled to go there were both the Allure of the Seas and Symphony of the Seas were both on their August 29th Sailings.

Symphony was scheduled to arrive on September the 1st, but their itinerary was changed and no longer does. Allure is still set to arrive in Labadee on September 2nd. (Just one day after the Symphony was scheduled to go to it)

Generally they would likely swap to Coco Cay, but for our week at least Coco Cay seems full (A ship scheduled to be there every day of the week). So it may wind up being something like Cozumel instead of Labadee. Right now our stops are Labadee, Falmouth, and Nassau. (6 night cruise).

Here's the email those on the August 29th Symphony sailing got, this sailing was supposed to go to BOTH Labadee and Coco Cay:

What I suspect will happen is, ours will get swapped to Cozumel or maybe San Juan, but the cruising time required may force the whole thing to be redone (or at least reordered). Cruising that close to the peak of the hurricane season is always a wildcard when it comes to port stops anyway (Since they can and have changed at the last minute before depending on the proximity of a storm/hurricane). When Hurricane Dorian hammered the northern Bahamas 2 years ago a few ships actually went to Freeport after it passed just to assist the Bahamas with supplies (Even with guests still on it).

I'd like a beach day at one of the islands, but Odyssey is a brand new ship and also a class of ship we've never been on, so we'll take it. Just glad to be able to get out at all. If our itinerary changes I'll update here, and if it does not, I'll mention it here too.

Thank you. Since our cruise is only four days, CocoCay, Cozumel and Nassau seem more likely.

So we would be notified by email.

Thank you.

Since our cruise is only four days, CocoCay, Cozumel and Nassau seem more likely.

"Labadee is only 30 minutes away from Cap Haitien…"

REALLY .... that's new ..... have you ever driven from CH to L ??????

I have ... we were driven to Ducroix (there was/is a resort there popular with Europe crowd) and then boated over to the 'Royal Lab property ..... the town of Lab is further away .......

It took us better than 30 minutes just to get to D rom' from pier in Cap H with a four wheel drive!!!!! And we NEEDED the 4WD

look where the roads are ... and note this pic does not give a good perspective of the MOUNTAINS .....

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing this! I’m on that Aug 29th Allure sailing and have not been notified about any itinerary changes yet, but I’ve been expecting Labadee to be scrapped…

"Labadee is only 30 minutes away from Cap Haitien…"

REALLY .... that's new ..... have you ever driven from CH to L ??????

I have ... we were driven to Ducroix (there was/is a resort there popular with Europe crowd) and then boated over to the 'Royal Lab property ..... the town of Lab is further away .......

It took us better than 30 minutes just to get to D rom' from pier in Cap H with a four wheel drive!!!!! And we NEEDED the 4WD

View attachment 592750

look where the roads are ... and note this pic does not give a good perspective of the MOUNTAINS .....

Sorry, 36 minutes. Apparently they have roads over there, to go from point A to Point B.
D95FA133-129B-44FC-9DBA-CC2D12E89E34.jpeg

Also found this (they say about only 20+ minutes), they opened the road in 2018:

https://fb.watch/70ZIIhDm-S/

Last edited:
having actually driven this route

NO NO NO

but PLEASE report back!

last time I was driven anywhere in Haiti it was in an armored vehicle . . .

Last edited:
having actually driven this route

NO NO NO

but PLEASE report back!

last time I was driven anywhere in Haiti it was in an armored vehicle . . .

I’m not going there.

I was just saying that Cap Haïtien and Labadie are pretty close from one another.

I keep hearing about how they are slowly (one by one) switching Labadie for another port on cruises going from now to mid-November. Mine hasn’t been changed yet but cruises before and after it were.

Well it just changed, our itinerary is a total overhaul, here's the email I got: (Old one was Labadee, Falmouth Jamaica, and Nassau)
ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,
We’re looking forward to welcoming you onboard Odyssey of the Seas for our September 5th, 2021 cruise. As we countdown to your sailing, we have an itinerary change to share with you.
As part of the guidance received from the CDC, we’ve implemented new boarding protocols, so we’ll need some extra time for check-in. As a result, we’ll depart from Fort Lauderdale, Florida at 6:00 PM, instead of 5:00 PM. Separately, to maintain your safety and wellbeing, we’ll no longer visit Labadee due to the unrest in Haiti. Additionally, due to some itinerary planning changes, we unfortunately will no longer be able to visit Falmouth, Jamaica, and Nassau, Bahamas. Instead, we’ll now visit our private destination, Perfect Day at CocoCay, and Costa Maya, and Cozumel, Mexico. We know how much time and effort go into planning your cruise with us, and we’re sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. However, we’re excited to take you to new ports! We know you’ll have an excellent time. Below, please find our revised itinerary.
Day
Port of Call
Arrive
Depart
Sun​
Fort Lauderdale, Florida​
Mon​
Perfect Day at CocoCay
7:00 AM
4:00 PM
Tue​
Cruising
Wed​
Costa Maya, Mexico
11:00 AM
6:00 PM​
Thu​
Cozumel, Mexico
Fri​
Cruising
Sat​
6:15 AM​

Get ready to explore the wonders of the Western Caribbean! Perfect Day at CocoCay is a private destination unlike any in the world. While there, lounge in the Caribbean’s largest freshwater pool, Oasis Lagoon, or take the plunge down North America’s tallest waterslide, Daredevil’s Peak! Soar to new heights on Up, Up & Away or just unwind at your leisure. Next, we’ll head to Costa Maya, where you’ll find ancient Maya ruins and mysterious jungles just begging to be explored, as well as private beach clubs and trendy restaurants – all in one place. It’s 250 square miles of paradise packed with entertainment and history. Then in Cozumel, explore Chichen Itza, one of the seven wonders of the world, and its surrounding pyramids. Relax on one of the best beaches, Paradise Beach, or discover Parque Chankanaab’s lush botanical garden located less than 4 miles away from the port. Whether you’re looking for thrills or simply want to chill, these ports have something for everyone!​
As a reminder, we kindly ask that you arrive to the port during your pre-selected check-in window. This is imperative to ensure minimal wait time and less crowds during the boarding process.
Any pre-paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions booked for Labadee, Falmouth, and Nassau will automatically be refunded to your original form of payment. In the next few days, your updated tour information will be e-mailed to you. In the meantime, feel free to browse all the exciting shore excursion options for your sailing in Cruise Planner.
Thanks for your understanding. We can’t wait to welcome you onboard Odyssey of the Seas!

Last edited:
Well it just changed, our itinerary is a total overhaul, here's the email I got: (Old one was Labadee, Falmouth Jamaica, and Nassau)

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,
We’re looking forward to welcoming you onboard Odyssey of the Seas for our September 5th, 2021 cruise. As we countdown to your sailing, we have an itinerary change to share with you.
As part of the guidance received from the CDC, we’ve implemented new boarding protocols, so we’ll need some extra time for check-in. As a result, we’ll depart from Fort Lauderdale, Florida at 6:00 PM, instead of 5:00 PM. Separately, to maintain your safety and wellbeing, we’ll no longer visit Labadee due to the unrest in Haiti. Additionally, due to some itinerary planning changes, we unfortunately will no longer be able to visit Falmouth, Jamaica, and Nassau, Bahamas. Instead, we’ll now visit our private destination, Perfect Day at CocoCay, and Costa Maya, and Cozumel, Mexico. We know how much time and effort go into planning your cruise with us, and we’re sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. However, we’re excited to take you to new ports! We know you’ll have an excellent time. Below, please find our revised itinerary.
Day
Port of Call
Arrive
Depart
Sun​
Mon​
Perfect Day at CocoCay
4:00 PM
Tue​
Cruising
Wed​
Costa Maya, Mexico
11:00 AM
6:00 PM​
Thu​
Cozumel, Mexico
Fri​
Cruising
Sat​
6:15 AM​

Get ready to explore the wonders of the Western Caribbean! Perfect Day at CocoCay is a private destination unlike any in the world. While there, lounge in the Caribbean’s largest freshwater pool, Oasis Lagoon, or take the plunge down North America’s tallest waterslide, Daredevil’s Peak! Soar to new heights on Up, Up & Away or just unwind at your leisure. Next, we’ll head to Costa Maya, where you’ll find ancient Maya ruins and mysterious jungles just begging to be explored, as well as private beach clubs and trendy restaurants – all in one place. It’s 250 square miles of paradise packed with entertainment and history. Then in Cozumel, explore Chichen Itza, one of the seven wonders of the world, and its surrounding pyramids. Relax on one of the best beaches, Paradise Beach, or discover Parque Chankanaab’s lush botanical garden located less than 4 miles away from the port. Whether you’re looking for thrills or simply want to chill, these ports have something for everyone!​
Any pre-paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions booked for Labadee, Falmouth, and Nassau will automatically be refunded to your original form of payment. In the next few days, your updated tour information will be e-mailed to you. In the meantime, feel free to browse all the exciting shore excursion options for your sailing in Cruise Planner.
Thanks for your understanding. We can’t wait to welcome you onboard Odyssey of the Seas!

IMO that itinerary is "an upgrade". Have you been to CocoCay before?

Our own cruise is a 4 nights with only one stop (Labadee). Can't wait to see what will happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter