What would be the best resort to start out your trip

CindarellyCindarelly

Earning My Ears
I have finally pulled the trigger and booked 6 nights for a 1 BR at boardwalk villas. It's my family's first Disney trip and I am renting DVC, so hopefully it goes on without too many hitches... We are going at the end of April 2022.

I was originally planning an 8 day split stay, so when making the above booking I left some room to add on a couple nights in the beginning of our trip if we decide. Which resort would you choose to start your trip off for the most 'magical' experience. For reference, my kids will be 6 and 2.5.

Here are the two options I've thought of:
1- 2 nights at contemporary with theme park view. Dinner at CM, then watch fireworks from the room, first full day being MK (assuming fireworks are back)
2- 2 nights at AKL Jambo House - savannah view. First full day being a resort day taking in all the AKL amenities (assuming Jambo is fully open)

I originally had my heart SET on AKL, however I have been reading reports of it seeming like a ghost town with it being closed down. I'm definitely looking for excitement! The idea of seeing the castle and fireworks from your room sounds so amazing. Is it really as cool as it sounds?

I think CR is a great choice to start your first WDW trip. You might also want to consider Poly. As an overall resort, it's more impressive than CR, IMHO and the theming is off-the-charts. You could still do your first dinner at CM and have the monorail take you there which could be a really fun way to start your trip. You can see the fireworks from the Poly beach or even consider a TPV room at Poly.

We have splurged and started our trip at AKL before, and it was awesome. There really is a lot to do at the resort, and my DD loved sitting on our balcony watching the animals. So this would be my choice.

I'd do the Contemporary if you're able to get theme park view, even if fireworks aren't happening. Seeing the castle, astro orbitor spinning, space mountain... it's so seriously magical, day or night. Can you maybe do Contemporary first, then a villa in AKL instead of Boardwalk??

For younger kids, I personally don't think the contemporary is as magical as it is for adults. I would go with the Polynesian. It's on the monorail, the theming is great for everyone, and the pools are great if you want to do a half MK, half resort day. If the studio is too small, then either of the wilderness lodge 1 bedrooms would be my next choice.

I personally think fireworks from locations other than in the park are overrated, so I would try to get a good spot to see the castle projections your first time. But if the kids aren't having it, then GF and Poly both offer good viewing spots.

AKL is amazing, and it's one of my favorite DVC locations. But if I were doing it, I would do the 1BR Savannah view at the end of the trip. You're not going to want to start the trip with a resort day; you're going to want to be in Magic Kingdom as soon and as much as possible. AKL does tend to be quiet even when it's fully open, since it's out of the way and not on the monorail/skyliner, and I think that will be nice at the end of 8 days.

Since it is your first trip you really won't know what you like until you have actually been there and seen things for yourself. What hotel is 'best' depends on your budget, what parks you will visit and personal preference. No one hotel is nearest to every park.

On our very first trip, we spent the first 2-3 nights (can’t remember) at the Poly with similar plans. However, we spent so little time in the room (and of course they took the volcano pool down for refurb grr) that we really didn’t get to fully enjoy it. The kids (including me lol) just wanted to be in the parks!! We still haven’t made it back, either 😢 So my recommendation would be to do one of the really “special” resorts at the end instead.

Of the two you listed, I would vote for the Contemporary. Being able to walk to and from MK is awesome. Not having to wait for any transportation if you want to go back to the room for an afternoon nap makes it a pretty ideal location. Of course, in the afternoon, the wait for the monorail is usually minimal, so that is usually an excellent option too. And not having to wait for transportation at the end of the night is pretty great too. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter