what would you be terrified at even trying?

I am always in awe of those photos showing workers on open steel girders during the construction of skyscrapers. I just think of being up so high, so exposed, the winds…..

View attachment 832765

When I worked in the city many moons ago, I saw my dad doing this when I was out on my lunch break. I was so scared and terrified for him and wish I had not seen that. I knew they would do certain things that were dangerous.......but to see it.......not good. The difference was those beams were ground level but below - was something like 10 stories down :(

When I worked in the city many moons ago, I saw my dad doing this when I was out on my lunch break. I was so scared and terrified for him and wish I had not seen that. I knew they would do certain things that were dangerous.......but to see it.......not good. The difference was those beams were ground level but below - was something like 10 stories down :(
After 2 stories it doesn’t really matter.

After 2 stories it doesn’t really matter.
Not if you are a cat....

Supposedly
cats who fall from less than 5 storeys generally will survive, while those who fall from heights of 5 to 9 stories generally do not. Surprisingly, cats who fall from heights greater than 9 stories will usually live. The reason is postulated to be the fact that cats contort their bodies to soften the landing, if they have enough time to do so.

Not if you are a cat....

Supposedly
cats who fall from less than 5 storeys generally will survive, while those who fall from heights of 5 to 9 stories generally do not. Surprisingly, cats who fall from heights greater than 9 stories will usually live. The reason is postulated to be the fact that cats contort their bodies to soften the landing, if they have enough time to do so.
I’ll let you know!

Extreme sports (bungee jumping/skydiving/etc.) or anything on snow or ice where I could slip/fall. My pelvis is basically held together by a bunch of metal after I fractured it, dislocated my hip and had issues with blood clots. I can't do anymore some of the more adventurous stuff I used to do.

Anything with heights!

i have a terrible fear of heights yet i LOVE zip lining. i don't know what the deal is but i feel entirely safe when doing it. i felt the same level of security the couple of times i went hot air ballooning. just don't get me around any ladders, bridges, narrow mountain passes:scared:
So many folks I know got married and divorced within fives years and more often than not the male got the short end of the stick.

it would be interesting to see the stats on percentages of divorces within a specific age group over the decades. i graduated high school in '79 and the percentage of people who married in their early 20's and were divorced by our 5th reunion was significant-by our 10th it was STAGGERING. i skipped the 15th but at the 20th it was the excption vs. the rule that any of those young marriages remained.

i agree with you-it's a different world today. my oldest graduated in '13 and of the group of fellow grads i'm aware of several are already one and done, some are two down. i've seen both the men and women get the short end of it in these situations.

the idea of bungee jumping does not scare me but the snap back just screams of being painful to my already impair back and shoulder. i tried indoor sky diving a few times before my shoulder got too bad and i really understood why a former co-worker who had been very into true sky diving stopped doing it and attributed her mid life shoulder problems to the hobby.

Although I agree with you in theory, and don't know what generation you are in, its a very different world today than when I was in my 20s.

More so for men IMO.

I would not be getting married in todays environment, at least not in the US.

Yeah, men really have it rough.

Especially since women have been able to open their own bank accounts without a husband or father's permission (1974) and pursue their own careers meaning that they weren't required to stay in unhappy, unhealthy relationships just for their own (and their children's) survival.

People don't have a problem with gender inequality in wages but then have a problem when marital property gets split down the middle.

But to answer your question, I'd be terrified to grow up in the world my mother and grandmother did.

Anything to do with heights, spiders or enclosed spaces. So... being dangled over the Shard in London in a coffin filled with tarantulas!

Yeah, men really have it rough.

Especially since women have been able to open their own bank accounts without a husband or father's permission (1974) and pursue their own careers meaning that they weren't required to stay in unhappy, unhealthy relationships just for their own (and their children's) survival.

People don't have a problem with gender inequality in wages but then have a problem when marital property gets split down the middle.

But to answer your question, I'd be terrified to grow up in the world my mother and grandmother did.
I think all your points are totally valid.

But, I don't think it's an automatic that women are happier now. It's got to be tough to be expected to have a career and at the same time be a wife and mom.

I'm certainly all for equal pay and opportunity for women. I do sometimes wonder if the old-school traditional family roles made for a happier home life in some ways. But when that was the case, women did not get enough recognition for their contribution.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter