what would you be terrified at even trying?

Even today you are basically making an agreement to give up half of what you own if it does not work out.
Even if you are broke a big wedding is expected, and a big ring. (lets not even get into the scam of the diamond business)

So many folks I know got married and divorced within fives years and more often than not the male got the short end of the stick.
Wow! The amount of generalizations here is astounding. Not to mention the incorrect assumptions.

swimming with sharks. I see it on Discovery/Nat Geo. I just scratch my head.
Ok, I’m a weirdo, but years ago I booked an excursion to go to Stuart Coves in Bahamas for a snorkel trip with the last site where they feed sharks below.
However, I had to cancel due to my moms health.
It’s one thing I’d still love to do before I die.

But, I don't think it's an automatic that women are happier now. It's got to be tough to be expected to have a career and at the same time be a wife and mom.

I was a SAHM for 10 years while I was having my kids and until the youngest was in Kindergarten. I would not have traded it for anything in the world and I recognize how lucky I am to have been able to do that.

But I had a choice. I could have worked outside of the home. If I was unhappy in my marriage, I can leave. My husband and I have a joint account but if I wanted to open my own, I could. I could open a secret savings account if I had to get out and funnel money.

Women in the past had none of these options. And "past" is only two generations before me.

I think all your points are totally valid.

But, I don't think it's an automatic that women are happier now. It's got to be tough to be expected to have a career and at the same time be a wife and mom.

I'm certainly all for equal pay and opportunity for women. I do sometimes wonder if the old-school traditional family roles made for a happier home life in some ways. But when that was the case, women did not get enough recognition for their contribution.
I worked throughout our marriage until DD was born, then stayed home with her until she started 3rd grade. I've worked full time ever since, and she's 30, so it's been a while. DH and I did the empty-nest thing for almost 10 years, then DD, her husband, and his young son moved in with us. I will say... Things run more smoothly around here when I am on semester break. Running a household is a full-time job, and if the adults are also working, it means everything is hectic all the time, with not enough time left for the "finer" aspects of life. It's much easier when I am home to get the boy off to school, plan/shop/cook meals, do the chores, take care of the gardens, do the laundry, make sure dinner is going to be ready at a reasonable hour, etc. I wish I were in a position to retire and run out household, but unfortunately my mortgage and HELOC have the final say here. We plan and share to make things work, but there are those days when everyone is just worn to a frazzle, but dinner still has to be cooked, the kitchen still has to be cleaned. I'm not saying that traditional family roles are required, but having someone available to run the household full-time makes a difference, at least in our house.

I was a SAHM for 10 years while I was having my kids and until the youngest was in Kindergarten. I would not have traded it for anything in the world and I recognize how lucky I am to have been able to do that.

But I had a choice. I could have worked outside of the home. If I was unhappy in my marriage, I can leave. My husband and I have a joint account but if I wanted to open my own, I could. I could open a secret savings account if I had to get out and funnel money.

Women in the past had none of these options. And "past" is only two generations before me.

in 1981 i began working at a furniture store. those were the days when a credit application was handwritten and we had to call them in to our finance company for approval. it was staggering to me to see how many women had absolutly no credit history. despite showing decades of work history, contributing to paying utilities, mortgages...everything was listed/credited to their husbands.

same time period-my mom and her friends were becoming widows. it was so sad to see so many of them struggling to so much as get their utilities changed into their sole name b/c again-no credit history. it was shocking to overhear how many of them did not realize that their own homes did not list themselves as co-owners, bank accounts (other than the in/out household account) they were'nt co-owners or p.o.d. on. it had never occured to them to look to these potential issues or take into consideration that it was important for them to individualy establish any kind of financial/credit standing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter