What would you choose? IS AOA truly better than All Stars? Can you switch resorts last minute?

Serrina89

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

It's almost go time! Has anyone switched resorts less than a month out. Will we lose dining reservations if we switch resorts?

Also, we booked all star movies but we're considering switching to LM rooms at AOA (for $500 more total) or Pop ($350).

PROS: I would switch because we are recreating a trip from 10 years ago bc we stayed at the AOA, to experience the skyliner, the pool where music plays underwater (if AOA).
CONS: Not trying out a new resort....who knows maybe we'd like (and we'd know next time if we didn't), it costs way more (For 500 we could use that for 1/4 the cost to go to disneyland this christmas)

What would you choose? IS AOA truely better than All Stars?

I think they got rid of the music as a safety issue. If that amount of money could be another trip for you, then I'd skip it. Sure, the Skyliner is cool, but not that cool.

You won't lose ADR, even if you just cancel. Disney IT isn't that smart.

Hi everyone,

It's almost go time! Has anyone switched resorts less than a month out. Will we lose dining reservations if we switch resorts?

Also, we booked all star movies but we're considering switching to LM rooms at AOA (for $500 more total) or Pop ($350).

PROS: I would switch because we are recreating a trip from 10 years ago bc we stayed at the AOA, to experience the skyliner, the pool where music plays underwater (if AOA).
CONS: Not trying out a new resort....who knows maybe we'd like (and we'd know next time if we didn't), it costs way more (For 500 we could use that for 1/4 the cost to go to disneyland this christmas)

What would you choose? IS AOA truely better than All Stars?
I don’t think it is. At least not for the extra money. I stayed at AOA when they first opened in a cars family suite. We loved the extra space and thought the resort was really nice, however with the prices as they are, I don’t see the value.

I really like all star movies. I prefer it to pop. It’s a compact size, I like the food court. Can’t beat it for the price.

I think they got rid of the music as a safety issue. If that amount of money could be another trip for you, then I'd skip it. Sure, the Skyliner is cool, but not that cool.

You would potentially lose your Park Reservations. Every time I've made a change to a reservation all my park reservations got cancelled.

Are you going to spend a lot of time at DHS and Epcot? If not, I would not bother switching. Also going in Aug/September, you are probably going to have thunderstorms in afternoon/evening and that will shut down the Skyliner.

Are you planning resort time and plenty of pool time? If not I wouldn't spend the extra for AoA - it's big upgrade is the POOLS! Even the quiet pools are awesome.

If you really want SkyLiner, POP is good choice.

Heading to ASSports tomorrow, I like it there just but this trip will literally open and close the parks, used nothing at the hotel.

Knowing the music is not playing underwater makes it easier to skip it this trip :)

I don’t think it is. At least not for the extra money. I stayed at AOA when they first opened in a cars family suite. We loved the extra space and thought the resort was really nice, however with the prices as they are, I don’t see the value.

I really like all star movies. I prefer it to pop. It’s a compact size, I like the food court. Can’t beat it for the price.
We stayed at AOA 10 years ago. I've stayed at Port Orleans but hated it bc it wasn't in your face Disney. I took my younger sister (10ish at the time) for a sisters trip with my best friend and her sister. We stayed at AOA, the last day and she asked why didn't we stay here from the beginning...I agreed.... I think I'm a value girl. I need the gigantic Disney icons to feel like im in the bubble :)

Are you going to spend a lot of time at DHS and Epcot? If not, I would not bother switching. Also going in Aug/September, you are probably going to have thunderstorms in afternoon/evening and that will shut down the Skyliner.
I plan on spending an hour or two at the best pool within my resort. I will probably eat the food court there as well. I have two epcot days and 1 1/2 days at hs

The food court menus are pretty much the same across the values. Might have a slightly different topped burger . All stars rooms have same layout and decor as Pop. I think they are slightly smaller than Pop rooms.

We like All Stars and Pop, and I would say the actual resorts are comparable. Of course Pop has the Skyliner, which we love, so it is our first choice. It is very convenient to Epcot and DHS- when it works.

As others have said, the skyliner is dependent on weather, and it can shut down very suddenly, even when you don't see/hear bad weather where you are at the moment. And the only way you can find out if it is operating is to walk to it, and they will have a sign out directing you to the buses if it is not running. We just got back from Pop, and there is no notification to the app or even a notification on the bus arrival time signs at the bus stop indicating skyliner status. While the skyliner was down and we were directed to the Pop bus stop to get to Epcot, the bus times sign still read "take skyliner" under the Epcot bus time. So there can be some confusion and running back and forth from the bus stop to the skyliner station, during uncertain weather times. This can also occur at the parks, as you try to get back to your resort. This is not too much of a problem at HS, because the bus stops and skyliner station are near each other, and easily visible. At Epcot, of course, you will need to know whether to head to the buses at the front or the skyliner at the IG. I talked to one family and they were told to to go to the bus due to storms, and when they got there, were told to go to back the skyliner because it had started running again.

I'm not trying to be negative about the skyliner- we enjoy the convenience of it and when it is running. The lack of communication about it can cause confusion compared to always knowing that you will be using a bus if you are at All Stars.

Besides that, there's no reason for Disney IT to be that smart. A resort stay isn't needed to make ADR. Locals who aren't even staying overnight can make ADR.

You would potentially lose your Park Reservations. Every time I've made a change to a reservation all my park reservations got cancelled.
A change? That's odd. I change just about every single trip. Never had one cancelled yet. I changed our trip for this month 3 times this week alone. Canceling/rebooking could but just doing a change, shouldn't.

I’ve never stayed at pop, but have stayed at movies and aoa (albeit in a suite). I would personally just stay at movies. We loved the resort! Request a room in the ducks section and you’re essentially in a preferred location for all star music. It’s also not that big. If I’m not mistaken the standard rooms are a little bit of a walk at aoa. It is a nicer looking resort I think, but I’d still prefer movies.

A change? That's odd. I change just about every single trip. Never had one cancelled yet. I changed our trip for this month 3 times this week alone. Canceling/rebooking could but just doing a change, shouldn't.

Changed resort. All gone.
Added a person. All gone.
Added a day. All gone.
Removed a person. All gone.
Changed discount. All gone.

I was always a die-hard Pop fan, but the skyliner actually is the reason we opted to not stay there this year. We are late-August visitors, and we are rope-droppers that enjoy a good afternoon rest at the resort. The likelihood of thunderstorms during our afternoon travels makes skyliner not a fantastic choice for us. Even if disney bus service is inconsistent, at least I like to know that I am going to the same stop regardless of the weather. Pair that with the standardization of the food court menus (more or less), it kind of takes the fun and uniqueness out of Landscape of Flavors and Everything Pop which used to be destination worthy for us in the past when using QSDP.

With that being said, I have a friend staying at Movies right now. They are having a wonderful time, buses have been great, hardly any stop-sharing between music and sports. Their only complaint is the heavy presence of tour groups and the "excitement" that comes along with that. There's no rooms that are particularly far from the main building, and they are finding the crowds manageable compared to last year.

Ultimately, what I am getting at is I think the values offer the same experience these days with the exception of skyliner. You can decide if that's worth the price for your party or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter