• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What would you do for Tonga Toast?

Awww….this is a great story :goodvibes :love:

I’m a big lover of Tonga Toast - it’s one of my most favorite WDW foods ❤️

Hey - great adventure and tale and I really appreciate the thread. I idolize Tonga Toast in the sense that it's really built up in my mind - enough so that I forget about it in reality every time - and then I get it and it's not as good as I've made it up to be. But hey - that's OK. I blame social media/social channels, as I feel like I see so many pictures of food from WDW before I've had it. And honestly, that's how I feel about Gideon's cookies. I see them + the marketing is so good by the Gideon team that I will always buy at least a few cookies in one go on a trip and then remember that I don't think they're actually all that they're hyped to be...

As a previous poster mentioned, I do agree that the Tonga toast recipe has changed quite a bit from the 2000's when I was first exposed to it. Or at least younger me doesn't remember it being so dry. There was more flavor + better texture on the earlier version. I'm sure if you were to make it at home with the copy cat recipes online (or the official recipe that we have in one of the Disney official cookbooks), you could alter it to your liking and get it pretty close to the OG. The other recipe that has changed for the worst over the years is the carrot cake cookie from the (former) Writer's Stop Cafe - now Starbucks Trolley Cafe. Don't get me started on that one. I think the carrot cake cookie has had a much drastic change for the worst though compared to the Tonga toast.

Anyway, I applaud you, Original Poster, and thanks for sharing the details of your adventure. I appreciate the time stamps. I might be doing the same journey in a few months if my mind idolizes the toast and my brain "forgets."
With you on thinking the carrot cake cookie has had a drastic change for the worse.

Last time we were there, took one bite and threw it out. What was with the rubberized texture of whatever they are using as the filling now?

With you on thinking the carrot cake cookie has had a drastic change for the worse.

Last time we were there, took one bite and threw it out. What was with the rubberized texture of whatever they are using as the filling now?
Yes, I threw mine out too after a few bites. Felt so wasteful, but I could NOT eat that. The texture is 100% off - it's soft and soggy and rubbery. I also knew when I saw it that it wasn't going to be good. It looked soggy/rubbery.

We have a great copycat recipe to make it at home but sounds like you had a fun adventure.
We do too! I make it every year for Christmas. I offered the kids a visit to Kona Cafe for real Tonga toast and DD doesn’t think it will be as good 🤣🤣🤣

For years I heard people rave about the tie dye cheesecake at the Pop Century food court, but the first time I had it I thought it was dry and bland. One of the very rare times I've been disappointed with any food at WDW.

For years I heard people rave about the tie dye cheesecake at the Pop Century food court, but the first time I had it I thought it was dry and bland. One of the very rare times I've been disappointed with any food at WDW.
Years ago, it used to be good. Was an actual thick slice of cheesecake with a beautiful tie dye pattern, not the mass produced plastic dish dessert that it comes as now. Another one of those instances where the original was better than what they replaced it with.

I like the Tonga Toast and agree with other posters that it is super sweet, but the main issue for me is the the bread to filling ratio!

Not enough goo to compensate for the half loaf of bread surrounding it, but that sugary outside is *chef's kiss*

Not a fan. It keeps getting worse, been going to the Poly since the early 1990s & tried it over the years Now, it's like a dry brick that you have to put a massive amount of syrup on. Never again. Not to mention that the crowded Kona Cafe has the least atmosphere of any restaurant on property.
Sadly, this was our experience, too. After our first taste of Tonga Toast many years ago, we would make it at home a couple times a year. Thank heavens we can do this because it sure isn’t the same at Kona Cafe anymore. Three tiny slices of banana per slice. Not exactly “stuffed”. Overcooked. Oversugared. Even the press pot coffee was bad. We miss our visits to KC, but won’t be going back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter