What would you do.....road rage or not?

We have been having a lot of pretty awful drivers lately. People going 85-90+ mph on our 75 mph highway (3-lane). If I try to pass a car going slower than 70 mph I need to speed up to that if I don't want to get rear ended.

Yesterday a guy in a pickup was weaving in and out of traffic. He caught up to my car and cut me right off, about taking out the front side of my car. I honked at him, which I know that I shouldn't have because he was obviously deranged driving like that (and no - he wasn't in an emergency because a few minutes later he turned into the gas station and parked in a fuel stall).

I just hate people acting like bullies but it's not worth it. They'll eventually learn a lesson, just hope they don't take any innocent people with them when they inevitably crash. Problem is they won't remember all of the lives they put at risk when it happens due to their driving, they'll inevitably still be the victim.

I will admit I occasionally honked in anger when I was younger. No longer. The husband of someone I know got mad at another driver, followed him home, and assaulted him in his front yard. You just never know what someone is going to do.

That couple is now divorced.

I live in the greater Orlando area. Between tourists who are unsure of where they need to be, and locals who want to drive at the speed of light, getting cut off is a multiple times per day event. I do what I can to leave a good buffer and hope for the best. I do not engage with anyone outside of my vehicle.

I would count what the OP wrote as road rage because of the verbal threat of being “number one”. If it were merely a brief horn honk, I wouldn’t.

I slowed down to allow a car to exit coffee shop. The signal was yellow so we were stopping anyway. The guy behind me honked and threw hand signals then proceeded to get out and pound on my roof while hollering at me. The car I let out was a US Marine in uniform. He came back and said please don’t make me get my uniform dirty sir. Please get back into your car. Thankfully he did. People are crazy! Thank God for our men and women in uniform. This Navy brat appreciates them all the time but it was especially helpful that day.

i can't believe how bent out of shape people get when the light ahead of us is yellow or red and we pause to let someone exit a parking lot and squeeze into our lane. we appreciate it so much when someone lets us do it so we like to pay it forward.

i can't believe how bent out of shape people get when the light ahead of us is yellow or red and we pause to let someone exit a parking lot and squeeze into our lane. we appreciate it so much when someone lets us do it so we like to pay it forward.
I agree life's too short to sweat it, but I do see it as a little bit of a different thing. If there are lots of people behind you, it's questionable; if it's just you, let people in all day long. I get very irked when at a merge, a car in front of me lets numerous people in rather than just the one (zipper merge). It backs traffic up pretty bad when you have to slow to a complete stop.

Me too because it’s the right thing to do. People need to calm down.

This isn't so much an answer to your questions but what I tell lots of people - if ever in this sort of situation in a city with which you're familiar, drive to the police station. I had a road rage guy one time and I genuinely think he was going to kill me; lots of aggressive driving, nudging me off the road, etc and I drove to the police station and pulled in. He left me alone. The sad part is, I still don't quite know what I did to make him mad (this was way back in HS). Road rage scares me - people have really short fuses these days.

Because that action can cause accidents.

At a red light in general you are not supposed to block access points so you should leave it clear. Cars turning have the duty to ensure they can do so safely. And it's a huge no no to try and cross multiple lanes or for people to try and turn left into a business (or street) even if traffic is stopped as generally one or more lanes still has cars that can move. That leads to t-bone accidents a lot. People think they are being nice by waving cars through since they didn't block the access point but unless all lanes are clear it can easily cause an accident.

On a yellow light if you suddenly stop just to let a car in a parking lot turn you can create a traffic hinderance and should not do so. You become the unsafe driver.

The same goes for when the light is green which is even more egregious of an action in terms of safety.

It's not the same as letting someone pass (as in you're both walking in) in front of you while you're both entering a store where you might think "oh well that was nice of them". You are in control of a vehicle and sudden actions can cause unfortunate situations.

Yellow lights, if I read straight from my state's driver's handbook, states "Steady YELLOW Traffic Light – This means the traffic light is about to change to red. You should slowdown and come to a complete stop if traffic flow to the rear allows. If you are already in the intersection when the yellow light comes on, you may continue safely through the intersection." But don't arbitrarily slow down just to let a car exit a business.

Also from my state's handbook:
"Confused roadway users - People who are confused may cause an unsafe situation. People who may be confused include:
• Tourists or others, who do not seem to know where they are going
• Drivers who slow down for what seems like no reason
• Drivers looking for street signs or house numbers"

Of course the person who sees a yellow light and stops to allow someone to exit a parking area isn't confused in reality, they know why they slowed down or stopped but the cars around them don't know that.

The more unpredictable you are the more unsafe of a driver you are. Don't get all road rage on someone who does that but don't confuse that action as being safe either. Neither are really correct here.

Way back (pre-cell phones), I used to wish for some sort of text messaging where we could communicate this. Also, I've enjoyed this back and forth of trying to communicate across cars :P
That’s hysterical!

Me personally, I disengage on both fronts. The consequences are too great.
I live where many drivers are very aggressive , unlicensed, uninsured and carry guns. There is a lot of road rage. I ALWAYS disengage. They can cut me off, tailgate or act as rudely as they want - I ignore them. The risk of getting shot and the lowlife bolting, never to be seen again, is just too high here.

I would have handled it the way you did. If someone cuts me off, I just kind of sigh and be thankful that it was just an irritating situation and be glad nobody was hurt. If I accidentally cut someone off, (and yes it happens, sometimes you think you have more room or it looks like person is going slower than they are etc.) I give a wave and mouth "sorry."

It's just not worth it to engage IMO. I feel like people get so mad so quickly and I am not interested in getting into an altercation with someone over something so minor. We all make mistakes and as long as there is no accident, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and move on.

HA! I live in florida - you ain't seen nothin' till you drive here. lol

i'll see you and raise the crazy driver factor here by the element of 2 inches of solid ice on the roads with a 'light' overnight dusting of 3-5" of snow any given day. it adds a whole new dimension of fear factor with agressive drivers.

Reactions: shh
Traffic circles present a whole lot of challenges. I always assume someone else entering is NOT going to care what other traffic there is and proceed cautiously. While I think traffic circles are fine for rural areas with little traffic, they can be a disaster in somewhere with a LOT of traffic. If there is a constant flow of cars from the left already in the circle it seems to encourage many to just dive in and hope others let them in. Multi-lane circles where you are expected to change lanes within a few hundred feet causes many other issues.

A city near where I live has already decided to modify their newly installed circle since the signage was confusing and lanes poorly marked which resulted in a lot of accidents. Basically they reduce the number of head on collisions from those running stop signs, but create a new set of problems with cars getting side-swiped.

HA! I live in florida - you ain't seen nothin' till you drive here. lol
Definitely Florida. The older the driver, the more privileged they think they are. Having said that, thankfully Florida has traffic enforcement unlike some of these other defund states.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter