What would you do?

CJK

DIS Veteran
I was wondering what kind of pass you would buy if you were in our situation? Dh and I are likely going to Disney for 2 weeks this September. We've never been for more than 1 week so we're excited! We have 3 plus's left from our old seven day parkhopper passes. We also plan on visiting with friends outside of Disney on 2 of our 14 days. Would you recommend we buy ap's or a 7 day parkhopper? There's a VERY slight chance we'd go back next year to make more use of our AP's, but this is remote... What would you do?

How many park days do you what? If your chances of returning next year are only slight, you might as well go for the 7DHP and save unused days.

We have purchased the CDN special 7DHP in 2001 and 2002 and loved those passes. If I were going during a time when those passes aren't offered, I would buy reg 7DHP and use 3 days/2 options (we have one option from a previous pass) so that's 3 parks, 3 options. Next trip would be 4 parks, 2 options. We've done the DISNEY COMMANDO so I welcome a rest in Florida, I would add beach days too! S

Thanks Sandra. I'm not exactly sure how many days we'd like in the parks. Like you, we've done the "commando style" park days over all of our last trips. I like the idea of say, using a plus option for Typhoon Lagoon and then swinging over to MGM just for Fantasmic at night. With a parkhopper, we'd never do this as it would be a waste of a day. I just don't know if the AP would be worth the money for little extras like these? Thanks for the advice!

No prob. June 1998 (dd's wish trip) we got 3 day hopper pass (special Wish Kid thing), one Universal Day and one Sea World day (we never used it). AK was only 6 weeks old. We managed all 4 parks in three days well, a little commado-like. (also did Cocoa Beach)

April 2001, we had CDN 7DHP used all seven days in 7 days visiting parks multiple times, we did MK 4 times that trip ~ also water parks. (also did Daytona Beach)

April 2002, we had CDN 7DHP over 11 days, it was less commando-like, but still seeing EVERYTHING, no beach trips :(

Next time, I think we'll do like I previously wrote. 7 DHP reg pass with 4 plus, we have an used plus that never expires, so that 12 park/water park days. I missed the Florida beach, so we'll spend half our time at the beach and the other half at WDW LESS COMMANDO! That all changes if we end up going during the CDN deal since we loved those tickets! We'll save $450 CDN using CDN 7DHP. Costs about $1800 per reg 7DHP for my family of 4 next trip for passes that don't expire. $1350 for passes that do expire. I do like the option of the reg pass to split the tickets over too trips, so I've have to weigh the pros and cons like you too. S

I think that one thing to consider is peace of mind (ie. freedom to do whatever, whenever). The regular price (US$) for a 7 day PH is $325.44 & an AP is $369.94 (a difference of $44.50 US). For the flexibility of being able to hop, visit & do whatever I wanted... I'd pay the extra for the AP...& then if you do go back within the year, it would be like a "freebie" (more or less). Just my 2 cents :D

I agree with DisneyLisa. I love to have the freedom to go to the parks only for the Fireworks if we've decided to do a "relax by the pool day". And since you still have some pluses left from your previous trip, there is no need to buy a Premium AP -- just the regular one will do you just fine. It's also incredibly easy to persuade a significant other to do another trip when you already have the passes. ;) And I have gotten great AP rates on my rooms for the past 3 years. For the extra cost for only 2 people, I would definitely do the AP's.

Mary Liz

We always buy annuals and you can't beat the flexibility of being able to spend a day maybe at a water park and then zip over to a park just for the evening.You wouldn't want to do that on a Park Hopper because you'd of course lose a whole day just going in for a short time.
Also, you get lots of discounts with annuals from hotel rooms to lunch discounts in Epcot/table service restaurants,reserved seating for shows such as Blast (Epcot) discounts on tours etc...
I think it's great value!
:bounce:

Thanks all! I really appreciate your advice. I think we may splurge and get the AP. I just love the idea of having a more relaxing trip with the freedom of jumping from parks to a water park, to..... Know what I mean? Three plus's should be plenty for us so we wouldn't need to get the premium AP. I can hardly wait!! Now for my next trick........I've got to find a good price on a flight! Here's hoping! Does anyone have a link to the northwest airline? I may consider driving to Buffalo if I could get a good deal on flight.

Have you looked at Air Canada and Air Transat??They have some specials advertised now, not sure though if they are good until September.
I know Air Canada worked out to around $400 including ALL those taxes!I think Air Transat is buy one, get one free or something like that!
Watch the Buffalo fares.By the time you factor in the exchange rate and parking for your car, it's not always worth the extra trouble.Plus, flights often have a stop on route and often a plane change, so by the time you arrive in Fla it's 8 or 9 hours later!
Just my thoughts!:)

Two of the more frequently used US airlines (by Ontario-based Canadians, that is) are Northwest and Southwest. A number of people report good fares on SWA flights out of Buffalo, but Minnie's right - most of those involve at least one stop or a change or aircraft along the way. I'm happier paying more for a non-stop flight if it gets us there that much faster.

We usually fly out of Detroit and for our flight this September the four of us are going for a total of Cdn$860 - great times and non-stop both ways. I believe that sale with NWA is now over, but you never know if they've got something else available.

- Mike

Southwest is having a really good sale now out of Detroit and Buffalo and Delta is matching almost all their prices check it out Buffalo to Orlando 49 dollars each way and Detroit to Orlando 59 dollars each way.

Oh no!!!!! If only I had read your post sooner! We booked our flight through Air Transat! We didn't get a great deal, but we are getting a great deal on a Toronto hotel and parking for 2 weeks. I guess it will even out. Still haven't completely decided on whether I should get AP or 7day parkhopper. I guess I'd prefer the AP, but it depends on $$. We'll see how things go. Thanks everyone!!

Well in my opinion if you are going to do 8 or more park days out of 14 days the AP pays for itself after 8 days so you really can't loose. Especially when you think about this you can come and go as you please without losing any days like you will if you get the 7 day hopper.
Hope this helps
Darren & Lisa

Apart from the points mentioned the AP will give you free parking at WDW if your hotel is off-site

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter