What would you do?

SarahC97

DIS Veteran
We're going to WDW in January. On our last night we're sending the kids to a childcare center at the Poly (where we're staying) and will have a free evening.

We don't have park tickets and I have no idea what we should do. We've eaten at Ohana before. My husband suggested the Boardwalk, but are any of the restaurants over there any good for dinner? I really have no clue where we should go or what we should do. Are there any special dining experiences you'd recommend?

We're going to WDW in January. On our last night we're sending the kids to a childcare center at the Poly (where we're staying) and will have a free evening.

We don't have park tickets and I have no idea what we should do. We've eaten at Ohana before. My husband suggested the Boardwalk, but are any of the restaurants over there any good for dinner? I really have no clue where we should go or what we should do. Are there any special dining experiences you'd recommend?
I think Disney Springs may offer you more options for both dinner and date-time than the Boardwalk area.

But if Boardwalk is the goal, we prefer nearby Swan & Dolphin Signatures (BlueZoo in particular).

I think I would do dinner and drinks at Disney Springs, then a little shopping.

I think the boardwalk would be perfect. Jelly rolls, the 21 and up piano bar is also there and that’s a lot of fun! I think it would be a low key romantic night.

a year or two ago we sent our two kids to the Poly childcare center for the first time and had a date night. I wasn't comfortable being so far away from the kids so we went to Cali Grill- relatively close and quick monorail trip back to the Poly if need be. It was great!

I'd stick close to the Poly just in case. I'd maybe do drinks and appetizers at the monorail resorts.

We liked Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club. I was going to suggest driving to all of the resorts, but it will be night time. DH and I did that this year and had so much fun seeing every resort that Disney has.

I second BlueZoo. Atmosphere is fun but adult-like. Food is very good as well. Then over to Jellyrolls or the Bellevue Room for cocktails and fun.

Flying Fish is a good choice, and then enjoy the Boardwalk. I'm a huge fan of California Grill and you could see the fireworks from their deck as well. Artist Point is another good option.
Would also add JIKO at AKL and enjoy the Savanna and their lounge.

I am fairly certain that children can enjoy 2 hours complimentary at the childcare facility in the Swan & Dolphin when you dine at any of the resort’s signature restaurants (BlueZoo, Shula’s and Kimonos).

Another vote for the California Grill for a date night and it is an incredible place to watch the fireworks from.

California Grill
Jiko
bluezoo
If you are looking for a more-affordable option, I have heard great things about Olivia's at OKW, but haven't been there myself.

Haven't tried any of the restaurants at Disney Springs but some look really nice!

So many choices! First, congrats on date night. I think it depends on the temperament of your kids, and your comfort leaving them for a bit. Here are some thoughts:
-stay close and use the monorail. There are wonderful restaurants in the GF (Citrico's is great and we also enjoy the GF Cafe). Keep going on the monorail and I agree, California Grill in the Contemporary is amazing, but we also like the Wave (an unsung hero).
-if you have your heart set on the boardwalk, enjoy. It's lovely, but a bit of a hike.
-Disney Springs will give you many options for dining, shopping, and entertainment (The Boathouse is great, and Bongos is fun).
-A really special experience might be to go to Animal Kingdom Lodge and check out Jiko or Sanaa... but again, getting there might take a while (you could take the mono to MK, get off, and then hop on the AKL bus).
It all depends on what you're looking for!
Enjoy!

Narcoossee at the Grand Floridian. Not too far from the Polynesian. You could actually walk from the Polynesian to the GF (unless you are wearing fancy shoes and don't want to wear them out).

Narcoossee at the Grand Floridian. Not too far from the Polynesian. You could actually walk from the Polynesian to the GF (unless you are wearing fancy shoes and don't want to wear them out).

Or there is the little boat ride between the Poly, GF and MK that is well worth taking for the scenery alone.

If you are sticking to the Polynesian I say eat at Kona Cafe and then go to Trader Sam's. If you want the Boardwalk then I say go to Flying Fish and you can also go to Ample Hills for ice cream or even Abracadabar for drinks. Both of these are at the Boardwalk as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter