What would you do?

babets_99@yahoo.com

Planning a Disney vacation all the time
Such as life we have a vacation scheduled at WDW the week of Thanksgiving, checking in on 11/18/2018. My husband has to have a laparoscopic surgery on Nov. 14th. The Dr. thinks it will be an outpatient procedure. I am trying to decide do we postpone the trip or move forward. Our son is in the DCP and this would be a week we could visit with him. Just looking for thoughts... Thanks :)

It is an internal hernia repair.

This was many years ago, around 1992 or so, but I had a double hernia laparoscopic operation and I would never had made it to WDW in that time frame. I know some are back to normal quickly and some aren't. I was pretty bad with getting up and moving well for almost a month and a half. I don't think you're really gonna know until he goes the the surgery and see how it goes.

Thank y'all! It is just a difficult decision. Don't want him to suffer but also don't want to cancel our vacay.

I would tend to agree with the posts that say be ready to "pace yourselves" according to your DH's condition. I'd imagine he would be OK to actually travel in 4 days but long days in the parks might be iffy. If the main reason you're going is to see your son, and you are willing to spend a lot of time in the hotel room while your husband rests, I'd still go.

I would tend to agree with the posts that say be ready to "pace yourselves" according to your DH's condition. I'd imagine he would be OK to actually travel in 4 days but long days in the parks might be iffy. If the main reason you're going is to see your son, and you are willing to spend a lot of time in the hotel room while your husband rests, I'd still go.

If he can just sit and relax for a majority of the time I think he'd be okay too. If they go in all expecting things to be rather limited it should be okay all around. If they want him up and moving all around the parks I don't think it will end well.

What does the doctor say about recovery time and limitations? I would take his guidance. Will your DH be able to travel (are you driving or flying?)? Will he be able to walk? Will he need extended rest time?

I wouldn't cancel anything at this point but just know the vacation may not be a "normal" one.

My wife had two laparoscopic hernia surgeries. One was a very easy recovery. The other was as bad as her c-section recovery.

I would go only if you all understand it might be a much slower paced trip then the past.

Such as life we have a vacation scheduled at WDW the week of Thanksgiving, checking in on 11/18/2018. My husband has to have a laparoscopic surgery on Nov. 14th. The Dr. thinks it will be an outpatient procedure. I am trying to decide do we postpone the trip or move forward. Our son is in the DCP and this would be a week we could visit with him. Just looking for thoughts... Thanks :)

Hard to predict recovery time, as everyone heals differently. My brother had it done a few years ago, and he was in pain with limited movement for at least 2 to 3 weeks.

Your DH may not be able to drive or even ride in a car as a passenger for a long distance, and may not be up to going on rides.

I agree you should discuss it with the doctor. Is there any chance you can delay the surgery until after the trip?

Can you postpone the surgery until after the trip? The recovery time caries wildly. Sime are up and about a few days later. I had the same procefure you described and it took weeks to be able to be on my feet for any length if time.

A lot also depends on how you're getting there and what you plan to do. He won't be allowed to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for quite some time. Can you handle loading and carrying all luggage? Can you push him in a wheelchair through an airport? If driving, will he be able to walk into rest stops?

If it were me:

First, I would try to postpone the surgery.

If that were not possible, I would then speak with the doctor to find out if they felt it would be ok to fly/drive long distance, to the resort so shortly after surgery.

If yes, personally I would probably still plan on going, but adjust my thinking to be that we are going to visit our son in the DCP and not really to do parks. Depending on how reccovery goes you can then not even buy park tickets and just relax by the pool, do some mini golf, and meet up with your son for meals in the various resorts---or maybe be up for some lighter park days if things go super well

Cancel the trip or postpone the surgery.

If it were me, there would be *no way* I would go to Disney 10 days after hernia surgery.

Their trip is 4 days after surgery- I would go if it was 10 days after surgery but not 4- but that is me at 55- me at 19 had knee surgery and 2 days later was on a plane on crutches to Disney- a lot different being young!

Cancel the trip or postpone the surgery.

If it were me, there would be *no way* I would go to Disney 4 days after hernia surgery.

It's possible I'm overreacting. I had my gallbladder out in March and didn't feel myself until June. Of course, I also had complications...

It is an internal hernia repair.

Thank y'all! It is just a difficult decision. Don't want him to suffer but also don't want to cancel our vacay.

Has the doctor given recommendations for movement and activity levels?

Pain management will be unknown until the surgery unfortunately but I would discuss with the doctor what physical activity he should and shouldn't be doing in the recovery time and the time after the recovery time.

WDW can be very physically demanding even for those in prime health so that's the main concern I would have.

I think the key words in your post is "thinks it will be an outpatient procedure" When will you know for sure? I would be like the majority - postpone surgery if possible or postpone the trip.
I had laparoscopic and ended up with an unexpected tube for would drainage, doing that in WDW would not have been pretty. It is still surgery after all and a gut punch to the body.

I think the key words in your post is "thinks it will be an outpatient procedure" When will you know for sure? I would be like the majority - postpone surgery if possible or postpone the trip.
I had laparoscopic and ended up with an unexpected tube for would drainage, doing that in WDW would not have been pretty. It is still surgery after all and a gut punch to the body.
Here that wouldn't mean anything. My DH had a tumor removed as a day-procedure earlier this week. Also with him in pre-op that day was a guy getting a hip replacement and a lady getting a hysterectomy (it was impossible not to over-hear the way they had the ward organized). All of them were scheduled to be released the same day, barring complications. That says absolutely nothing about what their recuperation time at home was going to be.

:scratchin After thinking about it more, I want to change my answer to agree with those that have said "postpone the surgery". It really seems like the only way be sure the trip won't be disrupted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter