What Would You Have Done?

But I would just smile and smile and enjoy the show. I know its wrong, but when you smile and are sweet to people like that , it makes them even angrier! I can't help myself! Thats what I would do. I know, I'm going to heck!:rotfl:

I agree with you. When people complain about you being taller they are mainly trying to get you upset and make you move instead. If you continue to smile and hold your ground and not let them bother you then it makes them more angry that they can't get to you.

Like stated earlier I hate when people with disabilities want to be treated equally but feel they are entitled to everything.

I would have sat up nice and tall and smiled.

You guys did the right thing and were graciously rewarded for being a Good Samaritan. Boohoo on the Scrooges in the world. :(

Like stated earlier I hate when people with disabilities want to be treated equally but feel they are entitled to everything.
Not all those with different disabilities are riddled with entitlement issues. ;)

My guess was that the back row may not have been truly affected with a disorder/impairment and thought that Disney would put them at the front of the line if they rented a chair.

Those with true afflictions don't scream about it for all to hear - they'd rather blend in with the crowd than stick out like a sore thumb... they get enough stares in everyday life to want to stand out. :goodvibes

I am not big on conflict to begin with, but in the end, the woman was wanting you to REACT. so i would have totally ignored her. Reacting in anyway would have been giving in to her. So I would have looked forward and pretended she wasn't there, which would just make her angrier. You have just as much right to a seat as she does. If she isn't happy with the location, she could have moved, why did you have to be the one to move?

i believe it is all about making your own happiness. maybe if she moved, she would have been happier. :confused3:rotfl:

sure, it would have bugged me, but i've gotten better about letting things roll off my back and ignoring rude folks like that. The last thing i want to do is respond or react, since that is what they want.

I would have planted myself right in front of her and done everything I could to make myself as big as possible...sitting on my knees, keeping my hands over my head..whatever...
Oh..and when she made the comment about how it must be a good show, I wold have turned around and said "it is! You'll have to come back and see it sometime!

LMAO You took the words right out of my mouth, I would have had the same reaction. Made sure to smile at them at the end of the show and say something like, "That really was a great show! Didn't you just love it?" :rotfl:

I would have gone one of two ways.

1. I would have turned around and totally engaged her in conversation. "I couldn't help but overhear that you can't see. I'm so sorry! I've sat in those very same seats before and had a great view, but you know ... how about if we just trade seats? My family and I will move up to your row, and you can move down here. Here ... let me help you. Oh my gosh ... I feel horibble thinking that I would have totally ruined your view of the show! I wish instead of keeping it to yourself, you would have simply asked. I would have been happy to have changed seats with you"... etc, etc. Make a huge deal of it. Be really amazingly sweetly nice. Make her thank you for moving. Make her feel silly for complaining when all she'd have had to do was ask. Make it just this side of sarcastic. To the point that she doesn't know if she should be mad or not. Of course, I'd also call over a CM and say, "This woman can't see sitting behind me so we're going to change seats, is that okay?" and get all eyes on her. Most bullies tend to shut down when confronted.

2. I'd have turned to her and said, "I'm sorry you can't see. Here ... you take our seats!" and then as I was helping her move to the front row, I'd have continued with, "Are you here on a Make-A-Wish trip too? We were supposed to be here with our 9YO grandson, but he got very sick yesterday and had to be rushed to the hospital. This was his favorite show and he told us to please use the VIP seats he had so that we could get pictures and video of the show and describe it to him when he got out of isolation tomorrow. But you deserve them so much more than we do. I'm sure we can see just fine from back here too."

:earsboy:

Too bad you didnt have a big hat to put on!!!!!

I would have happily ignored her. Than on the way out, I would have said, she really missed a good show. Or I hope I wasnt in your way.........

I hate entitlement...... I dont care if you are in a wheelchair, scooter, walker, crutches... if I am there first and its not a handicapped location, than that is just too bad. Look at all these idiots who bring wheelchairs, when they are not needed, just to move up the line.

I don't think you can do anything except figure out a way to forget it. Just be thankful you're not living in a world that you have to be that kind of bitter person for your whole life. In other words, no matter what you said or did to the rude people, they wouldn't have understood where you were coming from and probably would have had a justifiable reason to be upset with you at that point.

On a trip with my 2 year old daughter, wife and mom, my mom was selected to do the backlot boat thing in the beginning of the tour. So, we thought that would be pretty cool for DD to see. Unfortunately, while grandma was getting prepared, DD decided to have a classic meltdown (and this kid's got some lungs). So, we had to decide:

1. Do we remove the screaming kid and leave grandma and then who knows when we'll actually catch back up to her or
2. Do we just try to calm the kid down enough to see grandma on the boat and then get everybody together before aborting the mission?

Well, we chose to try to wait it out until grandma was done, but then the kid won out and we had to leave grandma....but while we were leaving some jerk started cheering because we were finally removing the loud 2 year old that was bothering him (mind you this is still before anything has actually happened in the show). I wanted to punch the guy, but had to keep telling myself the guy just doesn't know the full story and there are more important things going on right now, like a screaming kid and having fun on vacation at Disney World.

At any rate, mean people suck but someday they'll probably run into meaner people who will teach them the lesson they've been asking for all along.

My husband and I were in WDW in July and while walking into Animal Kingdom I noticed a little boy who was approximately 2 years old wandering around by himself. The teacher in me was immediately alerted, but I didn't want to snatch up someone else's kid ;) I walked near him and sort of followed him for a minute, scanning around to see if anyone was with him and I didn't see anyone. ..............

So.....what would you have done? Traded seats? Left the show? Commented back to the woman? Tried not to let it bother you and enjoy the show anyway?

Wow..... OP, I'm so sorry that people are rude. You'll find that EVERYWHERE and it drives me nuts. What would I have done? I would have offered to trade seats just because I hate conflict and rude remarks. I'm not the kind to tell someone off, but I, like you, am the kind to help others out.

As far as I know those short 4-person front row seats *are* reserved VIP seats.

On our last trip my youngest daughter was select to help open the park and they gave us a VIP pass to one of the Lion King shows. Us and 3 other families (with the special passes) entered via a side entrance and got the front rows in each section.

It made our daughter's day because she got to help lead our section in the cheers and stuff.

Thanks for making me feel better everyone!! I am not usually one to confront, but I guess my feeling horrible was more for her kids. We really aren't short people and I did feel bad if the kids couldn't see. However, once they moved them down to the ends of the longer bench, I think they were fine (one of them even got picked to lead the cheers/elephant noise in our section,) but she just couldn't give it a rest. I know the world is full of people like this, and my mommy always taught me to take the high road. :goodvibes I had to just keep picturing that HAPPY mommy whose little one we found and reminding myself that this treat wasn't supposed to be a punishment! ;)

Too bad you didnt have a big hat to put on!!!!!
:lmao::rotfl2:

Thanks for making me feel better everyone!! I am not usually one to confront, but I guess my feeling horrible was more for her kids. We really aren't short people and I did feel bad if the kids couldn't see. However, once they moved them down to the ends of the longer bench, I think they were fine (one of them even got picked to lead the cheers/elephant noise in our section,) but she just couldn't give it a rest. I know the world is full of people like this, and my mommy always taught me to take the high road. :goodvibes I had to just keep picturing that HAPPY mommy whose little one we found and reminding myself that this treat wasn't supposed to be a punishment! ;)

All I can say is from reading your opening post, the way you explained the situation and just the general impression I get from you, you should not have done anything differently. You were wonderful with the little boy. Imagine how his grateful mother would have felt if she knew what happened?!

You deserved the seats and the only entitlement in this story belonged to you, because it was rightfully yours. I am glad you didn't move. I am also amazed at how well you handled it. :thumbsup2

Ugh, how obnoxious! So sorry one rude person ruined your experience. I would have been upset too. I probably would have done exactly what you did, but would have liked to give her some of the responses previous posters have suggested!

Not all those with different disabilities are riddled with entitlement issues. ;)

My guess was that the back row may not have been truly affected with a disorder/impairment and thought that Disney would put them at the front of the line if they rented a chair.

Those with true afflictions don't scream about it for all to hear - they'd rather blend in with the crowd than stick out like a sore thumb... they get enough stares in everyday life to want to stand out. :goodvibes

I was not saying that all them do that but there are those that do feel they are entitled to everything.

I think you did the best thing. I would not have been able to keep my mouth shut though. I would have had to say something! I would have loved to hear her at a parade, lol!

I don't know what I would have done. The rational me would have ignored her or tried to make a comment loud enough for her to hear. The tired, I am sick of people me would have turned around, given her the evil eye (I'm a high school teacher and a mom, I have that look down), and if that didn't work, I would have turned around again and told her to just shut up already. :lmao:
I think you did the right thing and commend you for your rational thinking. There really is no reasoning with those kinds of people. And kudos to you for helping the lost little boy. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter