• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What would you recommend DS19 do?

HannaBelle

DIS Veteran
My DS19 is a sophomore in college. He is on target to graduate with a double major of Psychology and Sociology in 4 years. He started out doing Animal Behavior (blend of psychology and biology), then decided to do just Psychology and has now decided he prefers Sociology. He is not sure what he wants to do after graduation and honestly has a couple of years to decide. (I am hoping he opts to go to graduate school, but it is up to him.)

He has an opportunity to spend a semester taking classes at a university in London next fall, but if he chooses to go he will not be able to complete both degrees in 4 years. There is a Sociology class he must have next fall that he will not be able to take until his senior year and then a second Sociology class that he will not be able to take until the following fall. These classes are only offered in the fall semester. (He goes to a small liberal arts private school.)

So, he can choose not to go to London and get his double major. He can choose to go to London, major in Psychology and minor in Sociology. He can choose to go to London, graduate with a BA in Psychology in May 2015 and then a BA in Sociology in December 2015. If he opts to return for a 5th year, he will have to do so without the benefit of multiple scholarships that cover over half of his tuition. Right now, he has not had to incur any debt for school due to extremely generous grandparents on both sides of the family, plus is academic scholarships from a couple of different sources, his own hard work and support from the hubby and I. If he chooses to go for the additional fall semester, he will have to come up with a large portion of the money himself in addition to “losing” 6 months he could be in the workforce.

Right now he has decided not to go to London but is concerned that it might be a decision he regrets down the road. My initial gut reaction was to scrap the London semester and get the double major but the more I think about it the more I think he should just major in Pysch and minor in Soci.

If you are still with me after all of that…What would you choose to do or recommend your child to do?

I think he should go to London. These kinds of opportunities may not be available to him again. He has no debt so far, a losing 6 months in the workforce when he is still years away from getting a job should not hold him back. I think he will always look back and wish he has gone.

My DS19 is a sophomore in college. He is on target to graduate with a double major of Psychology and Sociology in 4 years. He started out doing Animal Behavior (blend of psychology and biology), then decided to do just Psychology and has now decided he prefers Sociology. He is not sure what he wants to do after graduation and honestly has a couple of years to decide. (I am hoping he opts to go to graduate school, but it is up to him.)

He has an opportunity to spend a semester taking classes at a university in London next fall, but if he chooses to go he will not be able to complete both degrees in 4 years. There is a Sociology class he must have next fall that he will not be able to take until his senior year and then a second Sociology class that he will not be able to take until the following fall. These classes are only offered in the fall semester. (He goes to a small liberal arts private school.)

So, he can choose not to go to London and get his double major. He can choose to go to London, major in Psychology and minor in Sociology. He can choose to go to London, graduate with a BA in Psychology in May 2015 and then a BA in Sociology in December 2015. If he opts to return for a 5th year, he will have to do so without the benefit of multiple scholarships that cover over half of his tuition. Right now, he has not had to incur any debt for school due to extremely generous grandparents on both sides of the family, plus is academic scholarships from a couple of different sources, his own hard work and support from the hubby and I. If he chooses to go for the additional fall semester, he will have to come up with a large portion of the money himself in addition to “losing” 6 months he could be in the workforce.

Right now he has decided not to go to London but is concerned that it might be a decision he regrets down the road. My initial gut reaction was to scrap the London semester and get the double major but the more I think about it the more I think he should just major in Pysch and minor in Soci.

If you are still with me after all of that…What would you choose to do or recommend your child to do?

GO to London

If he is majoring in Pysch he needs to go to graduate school. His experience in London will give him something to write about on his graduate school admission form.

If he really wants the double major look into taking the class online or from a community college and transfering it into his "regular" college. Most schools allow a certain number of transfer credits for a degree. Another option would be to see if the professor will let him take it independent study while in London. There are options. You just have to ask.

I think he should go to London. These kinds of opportunities may not be available to him again. He has no debt so far, a losing 6 months in the workforce when he is still years away from getting a job should not hold him back. I think he will always look back and wish he has gone.

:thumbsup2

Go to London. Delaying entry to the dismal job market is a wise move. He can hope the economy is in a better place when he finally finishes school.

If he is not sure what he wants to do for a career, then go to London and do a 5th year. Great experience. My son is a computer sci major and can't wait to hit the workforce, so he is eager to finish in 4 years.

I'm not sure I followed it completely- is there a reason he can't go during the Spring semester or during a summer term? If the school only offers limited study abroad opportunities, he should look through other agencies. They will often unofficially partner with the school and still provide credit/take financial aid. I agree with a PP that he needs something write about on grad school essays. Unless he's going to be doing a prestigious or life-changing internship elsewhere, he really should live abroad.

I wished with every ounce of my being that I could've studied abroad, but I simply couldn't afford it. Instead, I took a semester off and worked full time to earn tuition $ and graduated early. Most of my friends went 5 years to double major and none of them regret it. He's very fortunate to have such an opportunity.

Go to London, forget about Sociology. Honestly, it's kind of a useless major. He should just do it as a minor. I understand that it's becoming his favorite, so suggest he take all the sociology classes he can but not worry about the actual degree.

He should discuss this with the graduate students and professors at his college. He should not be in a rush to graduate but take full advantage of any opportunities to further his education. Maybe the professors can help him get additional scholarships or grants to fund his undergraduate studies. Small liberal arts private colleges often have such funds available, or there may be national competitions on which the the professors will advise him. Is he doing research yet? Perhaps the study abroad can be combined with some academic research.

Ideally his undergraduate professors will guide him through graduate school applications and acceptance.

Go to London. The experience of that will enrich his life and be like no other. I am SO glad my mom talked me into going on a whirlwind trip to Europe (London, Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, Aachen, and Munich) even though it would mean missing Christmas with my family. I almost skipped it because I hated leaving my mom alone on the holiday! Now, I know I would have regretted not going and it was an amazing experience.

Also, based off of what I see and hear at my university, a double major like that might not really be helpful. Does he know what he wants to DO with it? I would also bet he would need at least a graduate degree if not more in the long run. As such, I don't think I would spend the extra time and money on the double major but would do a major/minor.

Well, from what i can discern it seems like he doens't really know what he wants to be when he grows up. Not that it's a bad thing, you understand. He's very young. He has no student loan debt. I think spending a semester or two in London might just help him figure it all out. I think travel has a way of maturing a lot of us. Don't be surprised if he changes majors ENTIRELY. :idea:

TY all for your opinions. You have confirmed what I have been thinking. I tend be a very practical person and doing the double major feels like the safer option, but the semester in London sounds amazing.

akcire said:
GO to London

If he is majoring in Pysch he needs to go to graduate school. His experience in London will give him something to write about on his graduate school admission form.

If he really wants the double major look into taking the class online or from a community college and transfering it into his "regular" college. Most schools allow a certain number of transfer credits for a degree. Another option would be to see if the professor will let him take it independent study while in London. There are options. You just have to ask.
The 2 classes must be taken at his campus and are only offered during the fall semester. He has asked about independent study and has been told it is not an option.

The first is a sociology research methods while the second is an eight hour class that sounds quite a bit like preparing a thesis paper in graduate school. He cannot taken them concurrently.

Those two courses sound like important ones for his Soc major. I can see why they shouldn't be taken off campus.

That being the case, I'd still go to London and then pick up the Sociology in grad school if I was really that interested. If not, can he keep it as a minor? If he's not so deeply interested in Sociology that he wants to go to grad school, the psych major alone will likely be enough to give him what he needs to get into grad schools in other fields.

P.S. FWIW, I have a bachelor's, master's, and doctorate in Sociology--so clearly it's something I value--but I'd still say go to London and settle for the minor.

It seems that I have a differing opinion than most here, but I am an example of someone who opted out of not going abroad because of academics.

I went through the admissions process and was accepted to Bond University in Australia the fall of my junior year. After discussing it with academic advisors and the department chair, I made the decision that I should not go and rather stay on campus for academic reasons.

My advice would be for your son to talk to the resources on campus. It helped me so much to have them lay out all my academic options and course loads for my remaining semesters and really solidified my decision. I knew that if I wanted to travel I would have time to in the future and was not willing to lose out on another degree for it. I also did not want to come back for another semester as tuition is $55,000 a year.

In the end, I don't feel going abroad will make or break your college experience. I know many will disagree with me saying that, but your son is going to make the best decision for him by weighing options and ranking priorities.

(Sorry if I rambled, hope it helps to have a real life example of what he's going through somewhat)

Our DD did 2 semesters in London in a study abroad program at American Intercontinental University, one in her sophmore year and one in her senior year. It was by far her favorite time in college and it opened some doors for her. She traveled all over Europe from London while she was there..some with the university, some on her own.

Our other DD regrets every day not taking advantage of a study abroad program when she had the chance.

Good luck to your son.

MJ

I'm also a sophomore in college and would never dream of graduating with Psych and Soc degrees without planning on grad school. (I'm double majoring in Criminal Justice and Psychology and am hoping to go to law school). If I were him, I would drop the Soc for now and study abroad. Pick up Soc in grad school if he wants.

He's passing on taking classes in London? Oh, I think that's a big mistake! He can double major in one semester undergrad or go to grad school and add that to his degree there.
I also agree that he should check for online options. This is the ONE time he has to be a student and experience life as a student. Charging into the workforce with a Psych/Soc double major...not very employable. He HAS to go to grad school right away. You're his parent, encourage him to relax just a little and smell the culture.

If he doesn't go, he will regret it the rest of his life.
I know of what I speak.

My advice is different. I would skip London - for now - and take the classes he needs to continue on track for his chosen major (s.) Then start looking into summer programs, other programs he could do during the Spring, etc.

There are LOTS of programs out there, not just this one offered only in the Fall. I saw nothing in your post that indicated THIS was the one he needed, yet two of the courses he did need were going to be in the Fall.

As others have stated, he's probably going to need grad school. He'll have plenty of debt to incur at that point. IMO that makes it important to try to avoid it at this point.

I hope my kids do an overseas study program at some point during college, but I won't encourage them to do it at the expense of their chosen major. I'll encourage them to find something that will work within it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter