What's another way to say step parent?

marmalade

DIS Veteran
I love the Disney shirts for families that say things like Mom, Dad, Prince, Princess etc......

What would be a good name for a step-mom or step-dad to add to the shirts? Putting Step-Dad/Mom on a shirt seems cold to me and I'm looking for an alternate word or words to show the role this person has in the family.

I know every family is different, but in our house, even though my husband is the step-dad, he'd have a "dad" shirt, because that's what he is to our boys.

Depending on the situation, I might avoid using familial terms like mom/dad/whatever, and go with a fun nickname or a character name instead.

Good luck, I know this can be a tough thing, trying to include everyone and not hurt feelings!

I'm sure whatever you choose to do will be super cute!! Have a fun trip!!

I know every family is different, but in our house, even though my husband is the step-dad, he'd have a "dad" shirt, because that's what he is to our boys.

Depending on the situation, I might avoid using familial terms like mom/dad/whatever, and go with a fun nickname or a character name instead.

Good luck, I know this can be a tough thing, trying to include everyone and not hurt feelings!

I'm sure whatever you choose to do will be super cute!! Have a fun trip!!

Going with nicknames is a great idea too!

I would just use our first names since the only person who refers to me as Mama is my kid. However if you're wanting to do the Prince, Princess thing I'd just go with King and Queen instead of mom and dad.

Mom or Dad. That is their family role. No need to put any further explanation. Would you also put "adopted son" "step-child", or "uncle-by-marriage" "second wife" "widow grandpa", or more defined info on a t-shirt? Keep it simple!

My daughter's friend has two moms. One is "mom" the other "mama". There is also a step-mom to the scenario as the moms split up. They would never say "birth mom" "other mom" or anything like that on a t-shirt.

I have a step-mom and a step-dad. My parents divorced and remarried when I was in my 20's. My husband is a step-dad to my oldest 2 (they call him dad and call their bio-dad by his first name). I don't see the need to publically define roles on a t-shirt. Just use first names if that keeps it simple.

Last edited:
My step daughter called me mama, I called my step grandfather grand daddy, I don't see any reason to put the step in front of it. I understand that the kids might have a "real" parent but there is no reason why one can't have more than one Mom or Dad, heck my son's best friend called me Mom and my son called his mom Mom.

See if the kids have a nickname for the step. I called mine "Pa" and to this day he loves getting stuff addressed to "Pa".

My friend Joelle has a teenage stepson who calls her "mama jo" I think that's cute. He's called her that since he was 8.

Why not use King/Queen? It notes the role but doesn't get into the specifics.

What do the kids call him? My kids called my DH Bud so that is what I would have put on his shirt. Our DGD calls him Pa, so now everyone calls him Pa.

When they refer to each other they never use "step" he is their Dad, and they are his children.

I think that unless there is a concern that the kids will be upset if "Dad" is on the shirt, I would go with that, but if they will I like King and Queen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter