What's better - Sci-Fi or 50's Prime Time

Jennifer Dempsey

Earning My Ears
We are heading to Disney next month for our first time with our 4 year old twins. The day we are at Hollywood Studios I have reservations for a character lunch at Hollywood & Vine but can't decide if Sci-Fi or 50's Prime Time would be better for dinner. Right now I have a reservation held at Sci-Fi. Which one is better or are there any other suggestions at HS that I shouldn't miss for our first visit? For your first visit which one would you do? Thanks for any suggestions! :)

The theme at Prime Time can be lost on some children and even adults not familiar with Formica & Leave it to Beaver on a big box TV set. Some folks do not like the antics with the Servers. But the oversized portions and quality of food is probably a bit better than Sci-Fi.

Sci-Fi - some folks find it too dark inside. Some folks just don't like the menu and/or eating out of a basket. Large families and/or an odd-number of family members (not to be confused with odd family members) may find sitting in rows of two to be a problem.

The rest becomes your preference.

For the record - I prefer Prime Time, my wife prefers Sci-Fi.

If you are enjoying a large lunch at H&V, maybe the opportunity for a smaller dinner at Sci-Fi would be better. Then again, you can just have an ice cream shake at Prime Time and call it a meal too.

Coin-flip.

Personally I feel that for 4 yr olds, Hollywood & Vine is the best choice. Even thou I like the food at 50's i'd stay away. Their too young to understand the sarcastic humor in being scolded for putting your elbows on the table and not eating your veggies. Plus for lunch i feel that the food here is just too heavy. SciFi would be a great choice for them....they get to sit in cars and watch clips while eating. The clips are pretty cheesy and fun. The food is always great, good burgers, and shakes that are to die for. The atmosphere is quiet, cool, and dark. A nice break from the parks. Although between the two, i think H&V would be great for their age.

I think 50's Prime Time would be better for a family with young kids. Aside from being dark and hardly able to see your food, the seating at Sci Fi may be challenging for you. You and your husband would likely sit in different rows, and each have one child with you. Whoever is in the second row would be looking at the back of the people in the row ahead of them.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Since we are doing H&V for lunch, are there any good QS restaurants that are recommended. I'm wondering if doing a TS for both lunch and dinner would be too much.

I'd go with Sci-Fi. Burgers and salad were great! I didn't love the pot roast or fried chicken at 50's Prime Time that many people rave about.
I loved the picnic burger at SciFi. So good! And the oreo shake, wow. yum! Ive also tried chicken wings, spinach dip, onion rings, ribs...all great! I agree about 50's fried chicken....I didnt like it either. I found it waaaay too salty. Not very pleasant on a hot day.

Since we are doing H&V for lunch, are there any good QS restaurants that are recommended. I'm wondering if doing a TS for both lunch and dinner would be too much.
We normally do one TS per day because I feel that TS for lunch AND dinner would be too much. QS inside HS? Its slim pickings. But we normally find ourselves eating at Backlot Express. They have decent options.

I loved the picnic burger at SciFi. So good! And the oreo shake, wow. yum! Ive also tried chicken wings, spinach dip, onion rings, ribs...all great! I agree about 50's fried chicken....I didnt like it either. I found it waaaay too salty. Not very pleasant on a hot day.

We normally do one TS per day because I feel that TS for lunch AND dinner would be too much. QS inside HS? Its slim pickings. But we normally find ourselves eating at Backlot Express. They have decent options.

Thanks for the recommendation of Backlot Express. I was thinking that a TS for lunch and dinner would be way too much, plus we have Chef Mickey's that morning since that was the only day I could get a reservation for, so by dinner I would probably burst! I didn't want to miss a good restaurant for dinner but I guess we can't try them all. I might need to add this to the list for next time and just grab a QS at the Backlot.

We love 50's PTC. It's a must do every trip. They do tone it down for the kids and take cues from adults on how much to play it up. If the aunt/cousin isn't feelin' it from the table, they don't push it. ;) QS IMO is not the best at DHS. My kids do love Pizza Planet and we will go there to grab them food while my hubby and I get something from Backlot Express. We are trying Sci-Fi for the first time in December.

Thanks for the recommendation of Backlot Express. I was thinking that a TS for lunch and dinner would be way too much, plus we have Chef Mickey's that morning since that was the only day I could get a reservation for, so by dinner I would probably burst! I didn't want to miss a good restaurant for dinner but I guess we can't try them all. I might need to add this to the list for next time and just grab a QS at the Backlot.
Eating at a buffet keeps me full for hours afterwards. So there's no way i'd have room for another big dinner. Good choice! You can always try the other restaurant on the next trip.

It will be, trust me, we tried to do Prime Time for lunch, then had SciFi scheduled for dinner the same day -- we canceled the dinner (back a couple of years back they did not charge for same day cancellation, thank god) at SciFi because we were too full to eat again!

I love both restaurants, though, they're both a lot of fun.

We have reservations for Chef Mickey's at 7:10am and H&V at 1:35pm. I keep checking for a later reservation for H&V. I don't want to miss H&V because that features some of my kids favorite characters.

I like the suggestion for Pizza Planet for a QS dinner instead of doing a TS. My kids love pizza so they would love that and after Chef Mickey's for breakfast and H&V for lunch I don't think I'll be thinking about food for the rest of the day. :)

For most families, especially if consecutive meals, two ADR's can really be too much for children.

Others I imagine, particularly those staying off-site, enjoy an extra meal as an opportunity to regroup for later activities.

Qwik Service at Hollywood Studios is lacking. Unfortunately, I have no particular recommendation. And after a buffet meal at H&V, how much should anyone really be able to eat for their next meal?....being mentioned by a diabetic who needs a few calories before going to bed and upon awaking. ABC Commissary, only because it is indoors....and peer into Sci-Fi & Prime Time to see if you missed anything.....Prime Time has good margarita's to go from the Lounge. We eat pretzels or popcorn daily.

We have reservations for Chef Mickey's at 7:10am and H&V at 1:35pm. I keep checking for a later reservation for H&V. I don't want to miss H&V because that features some of my kids favorite characters.

I like the suggestion for Pizza Planet for a QS dinner instead of doing a TS. My kids love pizza so they would love that and after Chef Mickey's for breakfast and H&V for lunch I don't think I'll be thinking about food for the rest of the day. :)

That is a good split in time between ADRs. A good character mix. I think you will be fine with those 2.

Personally, 50's Prime Time for sure. Our server was sassy to a nearby table, but was quick to read my kids personalities and adjust her approach. She razzed me a little because it's easy to tell I can take it and the kids found it funny. She was incredibly kind to my girls which is awesome. We all loved our food at 50's. Great comfort food items.

Also, my daughter has a serious food allergy and she became very serious while talking about that. She said, [paraphrased]We don't mess around when it comes to allergies.

We were far less enthused by Sci-Fi's food. If you haven't done Sci-Fi, by all means try it out as the theming is really cool. I have family that prefers sci-fi, but my wife and kids like 50's best.

For a family with a 4-year-old, hollywood and vine is a great choice. If you're set on either 50PT or Sci-Fi, the food is better at 50PT IMO, but the theming could be better for a young child at Sci-Fi.

Love the picnic burger !!! And the specialty shakes at Sci-Fi are always amazing ! Going in 2 weeks ! Can't wait to try the new shake !! (Had key lime pie last trip, and an apple pie shake thanksgiving week!)

We always do both on our trips so it would be hard for me to pick just one! I like them both for different reasons. Sci Fi's food is just OK in my opinion. It's all about the theme! My kids love to sit in the front row of the "car" and watch movies. You really do feel like you're at a drive in. It's nice and dark and cool in there so it's a great spot to escape the heat.

At 50's, I think the food is excellent with large portions and my kids always have fun here. The milkshakes are to die for. Some of our best Disney memories are at 50's. My son is shy but the servers notice right away and never push it. I think they take cues from whether or not people want to "play along" and adjust accordingly. 50's is such a unique experience and it's a must do if you've never been!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter