What's considered "breaking in line" on an ECV and what's okay?

So, security probably saw that as an attempt to bring in a prohibited item, regardless of intended use. (see the rules, which states under "Prohibited Items", second bullet point, that no "restraining devices" may be brought into the Parks)

Well, I have this voicemail now from CS. I would never lock the scooter to anything. It merely is for securing the backpack to the scooter. (If someone has a better system than I have devised please let me know!)

Yes they are allowed to. No that person shouldn’t have pushed ahead without a CM involved. That exact behavior is why the uniformed are so soured fo ECV use at Disney.
At A resort that has a box for the wheelchair I go straight there and wait. I do not need a CM to tell me where to go. If this bothers people too bad they need to change their attitude. We aren’t getting an advantage.

No one is saying that if you get to the bus stop and there is just one bus load of people waiting you should have to wait in line and then wait for another bus this is not what we are saying yes you should load first it is just best for everyone. Why we are saying is when the line is so long that the last person ( weather and I mobility device or not) will have to wait 4 or more bus load to get on then people with mobility devices are asked ( by Disney CM) to wait in line with everyone else ( they use 2 maybe more bus stop for the line) and when the mobility person get close to the front ( about 1-1 1/2 bus full of people) they pull them out Disney CM have a good idea of how many will fit on a bus do they get it Perfect All the time no but at the end of the night bus come much faster ( like every 5 minutes instead of 20) so yes this is fair ( or as close to fair) for everyone
Actually I have not found it to be fair at all. It is not fair when people behind me continue to board the bus after I am pulled off. Also I find people will push past my wheelchair to get ahead and when they do they hit my controller and cause the wheelchair to swivel and get mad at me if they get clipped.

The exact rule says "Self-defense or restraining devices (e.g., pepper spray, mace)" Maybe they should add handcuffs?

In any event, they can decide at any time something is not allowed since they have a catch-all at the bottom of the list: 'We reserve the right to prohibit the use or storage of any other item not listed above that we determine may be harmful or disruptive, in our sole and absolute discretion."

Attorney weasel language. (I can say that because I'm an attorney.)

I was amused that the rules also prohibit "horns"--what about horns on ECV's (which I hate by the way. I never use mine.)

The exact rule says "Self-defense or restraining devices (e.g., pepper spray, mace)" Maybe they should add handcuffs?

In any event, they can decide at any time something is not allowed since they have a catch-all at the bottom of the list: 'We reserve the right to prohibit the use or storage of any other item not listed above that we determine may be harmful or disruptive, in our sole and absolute discretion."

Attorney weasel language. (I can say that because I'm an attorney.)

I was amused that the rules also prohibit "horns"--what about horns on ECV's (which I hate by the way. I never use mine.)

Did you know that from here you don't look like a weasel at all! (I always think of your little pupper from your profile pic when I "see" you here! Or, Stitch - bc your signature!) 🙂

So, back to your dilemma. What about a lockable luggage strap? I know it's not quite as theft-proof as a bike cable, but... if you wrapped it up with the lock end in the center, it and threw a rubber band around it so it doesn't come unraveled in your backpack until you are ready to use it in the Parks... It's a just a thought - I know it isn't as perfect a solution as the bike cable/lock, but since that first choice won't make it through bag check, something like this might. (I just searched for "locking strap" on Amazon, and found that, btw)

I understand that folks want and/or need to carry a backpack, but don't always want/need to drag it with them everywhere at WDW. Personally, I never leave anything on my device that I care about, so I don't have to worry, but not everyone has that luxury. You could zip-tie the backpack to the seatback, but that's kind of extreme, and you would have to carry something like folding scissors or a pocketknife if you wanted to remove the backpack at any point, not to mention more tie-straps if you wanted to tie it back down. And, Velcro is too easily defeated.

There is one last option I thought of - an accessory that you could perhaps install somewhere: a locking storage box like you will sometimes see on motorcycles (and some personal scooters). I don't know if that's even a reasonable option - but I included the search results so you could see different shapes and sizes.

Good luck with finding a way to (safely & securely) keep your stuff secured on your scooter. And let us know what you come up with; I'm sure that there are lots of folks here who might want to take a page from your book!

An alternative, though more expensive than a lock, is a different backpack. There are many out there that are designed with security features to make theft more difficult, including locking security straps.

Our park bag is a small Pacsafe backpack. We don't leave it in the ECV as we take it with us on rides, but if we needed to its straps are security straps and can be secured with a lock. We have made use of that feature in other situations for short periods of time. The backpack is useful for other travel purposes or situations when we need a more secure bag than we would normally use day to day at home.

SW

KYSS bags are common at WDW, I thought. I use one and can’t see how that’s much functionally different than a cable and lock.

So, back to your dilemma. What about a lockable luggage strap? I know it's not quite as theft-proof as a bike cable, but... if you wrapped it up with the lock end in the center, it and threw a rubber band around it so it doesn't come unraveled in your backpack until you are ready to use it in the Parks... It's a just a thought - I know it isn't as perfect a solution as the bike cable/lock, but since that first choice won't make it through bag check, something like this might. (I just searched for "locking strap" on Amazon, and found that, btw)

There is one last option I thought of - an accessory that you could perhaps install somewhere: a locking storage box like you will sometimes see on motorcycles (and some personal scooters). I don't know if that's even a reasonable option - but I included the search results so you could see different shapes and sizes.

Good luck with finding a way to (safely & securely) keep your stuff secured on your scooter. And let us know what you come up with; I'm sure that there are lots of folks here who might want to take a page from your book!
The locking storage box is probably more than I would want to deal with (we're not talking the crown jewels in this backpack--LOL--I always keep my crossbody purse on me)--but I'm going to go check out the lockable luggage strap right now--did not know about those. Always open to good ideas and sharing them.

Oh and one last thing--zipties won't work because you have to have the backpack "loose" for security--I usually don't attach it until I'm through security and in a park.

Thanks!

I have to admit, I'm a bit confused why anyone would even think they need to ask a CM if they can lock their belongings to, well, their belongings.
Just to be clear—I didn’t “ask”. Twice in Epcot the same CM made a big deal about me having something to lock my belongings to my belongings. Have not had this issue in any other WDW location or my home parks of Disneyland/DCA. But because it happened twice I decided to ask guest services on whether it is an issue or not—just in case I get that same CM at Security on one of my next trips to WDW. (BTW the second time when I got in line she was not there but then the CM who was there went on break and she took over before I got to the front of the line.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter