What's on your Thanksgiving Menu

butternut squash soup garnished with cheddar cheese and bacon
spinach salad with dried cranberries
rolls & butter
cranberry apple walnut relish (homemade)
green beans with mushrooms & garlic
sweet potato casserole topped with pecans & marshmallows
mashed potatoes & pan gravy
corn
stuffing (grandpa's recipe with Lipton onion soup mix)
herb roasted turkey (rub under skin: softened butter w/chopped chives, sage, rosemary, thyme, parsley)
pumpkin pie (Mrs. Smith's - DH grew up in Pottstown PA)
vanilla ice cream

Not sure about apps yet. Will probably have humus with pita chips & veggies, pepperoni, cheese & crackers.

Mine's pretty simple. I just made the menu today but I need to find something healthy and green for me since I need to cut down on carbs, salt and sugar I won't be eating mashed potatoes or much stuffing or any pickles/olives or the rolls. Sheesh - looks like I can't have anything but the turkey. I might need to change the menu..............

Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes and gravy
crescent rolls
pickles and olives
cranberry sauce
cheesecake with cherries on it
brownies for the daughter who won't touch cheesecake or pie with a 10 foot pole

And that's it except for something green - maybe I'll just make myself a small salad to go with my turkey. I am tired of cooking.

Turkey
Homemade Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Homemade gravy from drippings/giblets
Crescent Rolls
Cranberry Chutney (store made fresh - cheaper than the bag of cranberries) This is a new item
Roasted Winter Squash (think I will be doing acorn)

Dessert - making an apple pie and a pumpkin dump cake

Will also make Turkey Stock from the carcass the following day.

Cheese, pepperoni, crackers

Turkey (breast only)
Mashed potato
Stuffing
Homemade cranberry sauce
Glazed carrots
Corn nibblets with butter sauce
Rolls
Gravy

Pumpkin pie
Something chocolate-y that my mom is bringing

Still contemplating a green dish like steamed green beans. Not sure yet.

Turkey and dressing
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Broccoli casserole
Mac and cheese
Sweet potato casserole
Deviled eggs
Cranberry sauce
Cole slaw (my college age son's only request, lol)
Rolls

Pumpkin pie
Chocolate cream pie

Ok, so I confess that Thanksging is my "death row choice" meal. It combines all of my favorite carb loaded food that I rarely seem to eat. I say this to explain why I don't understand appetizers. Lol. I do not want to remotely eat anything else before I get to my favorite meal. However, since I cook quite a bit on
Wednesday, we are doing a finger food/appetizer dinner Wednesday night. So, I guess we are having apps but on
Wednesday:
Summer sausage/cheese/crackers
Various meats and mozzarella
Shrimp cocktail
Salmon dip with celery/carrots/crackers
Cheese curds
Fruit
Deviled eggs

Mini cream puffs for dessert

Turkey, dressing, giblet gravy, ham, collards, fried cornbread, deviled eggs, cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, pumpkin pie and sweet ice tea!

After Thanksgiving...turkey sandwich, ham sandwich, turkey salad sandwich, ham and cheese sandwich... :crazy2::rotfl2:

I've never seen appetizers at thanksgiving. We would be too full to eat if we had those. lol. We have the same regular favorites:
Turkey
Dressing
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Sweet potatoe soufflé
Sauerkraut and keilbasa
Mac and cheese
Corn
Rolls
Pumpkin pie
Red velvet cake

I never do appetizers either. I have a hard time eating desert after the meal.

As long as these two items are on the table, I'm a happy camper.

Turkey shaped butter.

turkey-butter-jpg.136285
I wish we had this butter at our local store! how cool is that!

Last edited:
We do appetizers...I enjoy them more than the meal, TBH. We get to our gathering place between 10a-11a. Nibble on appetizers. Meal is between 1 and 2. I usually have a slice of turkey, a spoon of mashed, a spoon of green bean hotdish, a spoon of rutabaga, and a bigger spoon of stuffing ;) . Pie at 6 or 7.

Fresh cup up veggies, crackers, cheese, chips and three dips for some early grazers or a fresh spinach and cranberry salad if preferred

Turkey
Ham
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potatoes (one batch with marshmallow nastiness and a batch of my preference)
Gravy
Green Beans with bacon and onions
Dressing
Glazed carrots
Rolls

Pecan Pies
Pumpkin cream cheese bars
Banana pudding
chocolate fudge brownies with fudge icing
Apple pie
Homemade whip cream

I've never seen appetizers at thanksgiving.

I know, but I do them for the early grazers. My mom doesn't like appetizers at Thanksgiving either... she thinks it ruins all of the kids' appetites. Another reason I do them though is to be able to put something out w/ the deviled eggs. For some reason, to me, deviled eggs don't really "go" w/ the rest of the main dinner items, so I put the eggs out w/ other "munchies." I think of them more as "munchies" than appetizers anyway.

DH & I walked into Publix the other day, & the dish that was being served was a Honey-Glazed Butternut & Apple Roast. It was delicious, so it's been added to our menu! LOL!

So, here's our updated (& hopefully final) menu:

Munchies: Deviled Eggs, Carrot Sticks w/ Ranch Dip, Cheese & Crackers, & Chex Mix

Main:

Roasted Turkey & Smoked Turkey
Cornbread Dressing
Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
Sweet Potato Casserole (the kind w/ the pecan & brown sugar topping)
Green Beans w/ Bacon & Onion
Corn Souffle
Baked Beans
Honey-Glazed Butternut Squash & Apples
Macaroni & Cheese (for the kids)
Kale & Cranberry Salad
Cranberry Sauce (both homemade & the kind from the can for the people who like to see the ridges from the can...)
Yeast Rolls

Desserts: Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie, Jamaican Pumpkin Pie, Caramel Apple Blondie Cheesecake, Spice Cake

Turkey and dressing
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Broccoli casserole
Mac and cheese
Sweet potato casserole
Deviled eggs
Cranberry sauce
Cole slaw (my college age son's only request, lol)
Rolls

Pumpkin pie
Chocolate cream pie

Ok, so I confess that Thanksging is my "death row choice" meal. It combines all of my favorite carb loaded food that I rarely seem to eat. I say this to explain why I don't understand appetizers. Lol. I do not want to remotely eat anything else before I get to my favorite meal. However, since I cook quite a bit on
Wednesday, we are doing a finger food/appetizer dinner Wednesday night. So, I guess we are having apps but on
Wednesday:
Summer sausage/cheese/crackers
Various meats and mozzarella
Shrimp cocktail
Salmon dip with celery/carrots/crackers
Cheese curds
Fruit
Deviled eggs

Mini cream puffs for dessert

I don't know about the rest of ya'll, but I'm going to traviesojmt on Wed. and Tina's on Thursday! LOL

I wish we had this butter at our local store! how cool is that!

They have Christmas tree shaped butter for Xmas and lamb shaped butter for Easter too.

butter tree.png butter lamb.jpg

They're kind of expensive for what you get, $3.49 for 4 ounces, so $13.96 per pound. But worth it IMO.

Surprisingly, I haven't seen a butter sculpture from the source for sale in stores, only at state fairs.

butter cow.png

I never do appetizers either. I have a hard time eating desert after the meal.

I don't do appetizers either, but I ALWAYS save room for dessert!!! :cake: Usually pie, however, not cake. Dessert is about two hours after the meal. (and naps).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter