What's something you had in your childhood community that isn't in your current community?

Wild spaces. Those spots that no one seemed to take care of, native plants thrived, and the birds, animals and insects seemed to love them. Now practically everywhere is built upon, and yards are manicured, not many have a wild spot hiding way in the back anymore.

A general rec center where the kids went to play pinball games, ping pong, and hang out free of charge. It had board games, too. It was a two room building and there was a pool but no lifeguard. I remember going there all the time in middle school and there was zero supervision. There was also a playground next to the rec center with metal slides and those merry-go-round things people went flying off

Our house is on a dead end street with a playground and the elementary school next to it, so that is nice. There are fields and a basketball and tennis court. It's nice during warmer months.

I grew up in a very small, very unique community and moved away before I was a teenager.

I've never lived anywhere else quite like it and most cities seem boring and disconnected to me. A famous artist, known for his pieces that capture downtown said in an interview before his death, "I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not being in [town]".

I tell stories about my childhood and I never quite capture it.

I went home not too many years ago and walked into one of the shops. I introduced myself to the owner and she said, "I knew it was you the moment you smiled."

I miss that. I miss that more than anything.

Closeness. We were very close to the people who lived around us and even though I live thousands of miles away now, we all keep in touch.

excellent public schools and great Chinese food. Other than those things where we currently live is much better than where I grew up.

this is not available anymore in my current community OR the one one i grew up in-kids able to play on school grounds after hours/weekends/during school holiday and summer breaks. it was common when i grew up for kids to use the playground equipment, ride our bikes/skate on the big blacktopped areas, do an informal game of ball on the fields...then liability got to be an issue and schools started fencing those areas off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter