What's the big deal about Gideon's?

jvalic33

Mouseketeer
Can someone please let me know what is so amazing about Gideon's? For some reason I have no desire to go here. The cookies look complex and overwhelming and big and not that we couldn't share it, but I just don't get it. I do love cookies, but some of the cookies seem over the top and that they just won't mesh or might be overly sweet, but maybe I'm totally wrong.

Would love just a little feedback to understand this.

The cookies are not really any better than their smaller versions. I bake a better chocolate chip. I think it's more about the atmosphere of the shop than the baked goods. Sure, the cookies and cakes are excellent, but most people would never wait 45 minutes in a line for just that.

Last edited:
Can someone please let me know what is so amazing about Gideon's? For some reason I have no desire to go here. The cookies look complex and overwhelming and big and not that we couldn't share it, but I just don't get it. I do love cookies, but some of the cookies seem over the top and that they just won't mesh or might be overly sweet, but maybe I'm totally wrong.

Would love just a little feedback to understand this.
Have not been there, but wondered the same thing. So many of the cookies look like they are loaded with too much stuff that we have not had any interest in stopping there. I'll leave it to those who will enjoy it more.

Have not been there, but wondered the same thing. So many of the cookies look like they are loaded with too much stuff that we have not had any interest in stopping there. I'll leave it to those who will enjoy it more.

They have "regular" chocolate chip cookies. The menu does change by season and by what ingredients they can get.

The cookies are not really any better than their smaller versions. I bake a better chocolate chip. I think it's more about the atmosphere of the shop than the baked goods. Sure, the cookies and cakes are excellent, but most people would never wait 45 minutes in a line for just that.
Feel the same. We waited over 30 minutes and were disappointed. Cookies were average but very over the top with extras!

1) they are locally owned
2) they've had a following well before they landed at Disney Springs (meaning: this popularity didn't come just by being at Disney)
3) their coffee cake cookie is the best cookie I've had in my life

Personally, I often stop at their original location because there is never a line :)

Just because others find it appealing doesn't mean you have to. I don't get the hype with a lot of Disney stuff (though I tend to try it just to see for myself).

1) they are locally owned
2) they've had a following well before they landed at Disney Springs (meaning: this popularity didn't come just by being at Disney)
3) their coffee cake cookie is the best cookie I've had in my life

Personally, I often stop at their original location because there is never a line :)

Just because others find it appealing doesn't mean you have to. I don't get the hype with a lot of Disney stuff (though I tend to try it just to see for myself).
Good to know. If we ever go by and there's not a line, it would be worth trying. Although I haven't tried them, I can't imagine waiting 30+ minutes for a cookie. Maybe they really are worth that wait.

I'm not saying they aren't good cookies. I'm a Mom, I have mastered a few sets of cookies. I would be hard pressed to find better, but despite that, I still love a really great chocolate chip cookie or oatmeal raisin. I also like Greek and Italian cookies, it's just at the time we were there last year I think the line was almost 3 hours at one point.

3 HOURS! That would have to be some sort of Golden Cookie that reduced my age by at least the amount of time I waited on line...LOL

So that is why I ask.

Are they cakey-like cookies?

Like the coffee cake cookie mentioned..is it hard and just tastes like coffee cake or coffee cake like in texture but in the form of a cookie?

I think a lot of it is for the experience - it's super cute inside! Haunted mansion-y. Every time I've been we were able to join the virtual queue, and once we were called to join we probably only waited ~15 minutes in line. I agree that the cookies are a bit intense - I don't like the chocolate chip, personally. But LOVE the cookies & cream one they'll usually have a fun seasonal flavor. And then a few cake slices to choose from and some iced coffee drinks. I think it's worth a try if you have time!

Okay, well I obviously have to give it a try, if I have time, to judge for ourselves. There is just so much over at Disney Springs to do and look at that I've never been able to make it a priority. This trip we're at an Epcot resort so we're only heating over to the Springs on one day and if I get lucky and the wait is small we'll try it.

We're a party of 8 though...does that make a difference? It seems rather small, will we wait longer because of our size?

When we go to Disney Springs it’s basically to spend the better part of a day so it’s easy to fit in a visit to Gideon’s. I think the cookies, cakes and coffee drinks are really good (maybe not the best ever but pretty darn good) but the main appeal is really the overall presentation and packaging and the interesting look of the shop.

I would recommend to go once at least to look around and give it a try. You could split a cookie between 2 or more people but I bet you’ll be tempted to try more once you go inside.

I'm really into Gideon's baked goods. If we can get some for the room to snack on throughout our trip, then life is amazing. If you can get on their VQ with a plan to do other things while waiting (eating lunch, shopping, etc.), it's easy cheesy. If you are only going to DS to get a Gideon's cookie and you wait a super long time...most likely definitely kinda not worth it.

their coffee cake cookie is the best cookie I've had in my life
Me, too! I love that one!

Are they cakey-like cookies?

Like the coffee cake cookie mentioned..is it hard and just tastes like coffee cake or coffee cake like in texture but in the form of a cookie?
They are not cake like. They are like undercooked/raw cookie dough, but they aren’t raw. If you like eating raw cookie dough, they’re yummy. If you like crispy/crunchy cookies, you will be disappointed.

The chocolate chip is too much for me, so I tend to like the pistachio chip one more to dilute out just the chocolate chips. But the best is the Coffee Cake, by far! It’s a snickerdoodle.

The ambiance and merch are niche, but I love it.

And the peanut butter cold brew is super yummy (so is the cookies and cream cold cream, but it’s sweeter).

We just always make it part of our DS plan. Hit Gideon’s up first and either stand in line for <45 minutes or get in VQ and come back later.

I like chewy cookies...the fam is split down the middle...so it will be interesting.

That's what we'll do. On one of our first nights we're going to The Boathouse so we'll grab some cookies to take back to the room to snack on!

Thank you for all the insight!

We tried a couple of cookies and a cake slice and none of it was good. Cookies where day old already and the cake slice was overly sweet and the icing was grainy. Not worth the hype or the price. And I am a huge baked goods/pastry lover. I worked for many years as a baker and have made hundreds of thousands of cookies. Don't charge full price for day old cookies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter