• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's the current lid/straw situation?

Like I said.
The AK has paper straws and I have used them dozens of times.
I always ask for a straw if there are none visible.
For our next trip we're taking reusable straws. :)

Can you take reusable straws into AK? I've heard stories of straws being taken out of sippy bottles. Never saw it, just heard.

Most, definitely not all, locations do have lids, but you have to specifically ask for them. Plastic straws are available in many places, but several have paper straws. Most places you have to ask for straws, but some have them out and some give them to you automatically.

This was as of January by the way.

Can you take reusable straws into AK? I've heard stories of straws being taken out of sippy bottles. Never saw it, just heard.
Nope, as if it gets dropped and ends up in an animal enclosure, the animal could swallow it causing a problem.

I don't like this. I can deal with the straw thing by bringing my own, but not the lid. I'm slow to finish drinks and like to carry them with me until I'm done. Plus I need water with ice with me most of the time as I hate lukewarm water.

I had hoped to carry a really small purse this time but I guess I'll have to have a larger with so I can carry around a big honking water bottle that can hold ice water and not spill.
We do the dining plan and simply bring our reusable mugs with us and poor any leftovers into them, solves the issue. As for ice water, we just ask for a cup at counter service and again poor into the reusable mugs.

If you don't like that, there a company called Vapur that makes folding/rolling reusable water bottles: https://www.vapur.us/

We have used these in the parks before and they are very convenient, although not insulated, but they have a filter option, which is essential for the nasty Florida water.

Last edited:

Nope, as if it gets dropped and ends up in an animal enclosure, the animal could swallow it causing a problem.

Which is part of the point of not having them anywhere. Too many of them end up in the ocean or ingested.

I don't care if it is a cost savings for Disney, I can get behind something that also helps animals out.

Which is part of the point of not having them anywhere. Too many of them end up in the ocean or ingested.

I don't care if it is a cost savings for Disney, I can get behind something that also helps animals out.
The problem is reusable straws are more of a hazard to the animals than disposable straws, especially if they were to switch to the bio based straws that are made from food waste (i.e. corn husks and other inedible parts of plants), as those naturally degrade before causing harm to the animals while reusable straws cause harm to the animals and must surgically be removed.

Additionally, the bio based straws work for people with disabilities that need "plastic straws" when paper straws fail for many of them and they don't have the funky taste that paper straws do. These straws are also fully compostable and the same type of material can be used to make disposable silverware, plates, napkins, etc.

Even if you didn't want to use the straws, there would need to be disposable silverware, plates, etc. all of these can be made of these materials, Sea World San Diego, as well as many zoos already use them. To that end many zoos use reusable cups priced around $5 with attached reusable straws in place of disposable cups, eliminating the issue of straws potentially getting into animal enclosures and eliminating a lot of waste with paper cups, they then offer refills on the cups at around $1.

If this was truly about saving the environment, then one or more of these options would be used, this far more about profit that environmental benefit at this point.

I am all for helping the animals, but what I am not for is claiming you are doing something to help when in reality all you are doing is saving money and in the process may actually be causing more harm than good.

It is a similar issue to the plastic bag ban in California, while it sounds like a good idea, we have ended up with far more litter and people not picking up after their pets than before the ban, both of which are ending up in the ocean and right now we are seeing a massive increase in sick sea life. They won't admit that this may very well be the cause, because it wouldn't be politically correct to do so, but it might at least be a contributing factor, again all in the name of the environment while it is really giving the companies more profit.

The problem is reusable straws are more of a hazard to the animals than disposable straws, especially if they were to switch to the bio based straws that are made from food waste (i.e. corn husks and other inedible parts of plants), as those naturally degrade before causing harm to the animals while reusable straws cause harm to the animals and must surgically be removed.

Additionally, the bio based straws work for people with disabilities that need "plastic straws" when paper straws fail for many of them and they don't have the funky taste that paper straws do. These straws are also fully compostable and the same type of material can be used to make disposable silverware, plates, napkins, etc.

Even if you didn't want to use the straws, there would need to be disposable silverware, plates, etc. all of these can be made of these materials, Sea World San Diego, as well as many zoos already use them. To that end many zoos use reusable cups priced around $5 with attached reusable straws in place of disposable cups, eliminating the issue of straws potentially getting into animal enclosures and eliminating a lot of waste with paper cups, they then offer refills on the cups at around $1.

If this was truly about saving the environment, then one or more of these options would be used, this far more about profit that environmental benefit at this point.

I am all for helping the animals, but what I am not for is claiming you are doing something to help when in reality all you are doing is saving money and in the process may actually be causing more harm than good.

It is a similar issue to the plastic bag ban in California, while it sounds like a good idea, we have ended up with far more litter and people not picking up after their pets than before the ban, both of which are ending up in the ocean and right now we are seeing a massive increase in sick sea life. They won't admit that this may very well be the cause, because it wouldn't be politically correct to do so, but it might at least be a contributing factor, again all in the name of the environment while it is really giving the companies more profit.

Full sets of biodegradable eating utensils have been around for around 20-30 years but at least when they first came out cost considerably more than the plastic versions. Switched from the bamboo variety to a set of washable metal when we camped so not sure if the price differential has come down yet.

We have had a "clean up your pet's disgusting poop" law on the books for around 30 years in NYC, require leashes (unless you are in a designated pet run), and ID collars. After a few years of non enforcement they've really clamped down and lo and behold it's safe to walk barefoot in the park again if you're so inclined. The city or park trusts provides biodegradable plastic bags for poo pick up in various parks and now they are tackling regular plastic shopping bags with education and legislation. It was no fun watching watching trees festooned with blown in the air plastic bags for months on end until the cherry pickers came through so I applaud the new initiatives.

All this takes time to re-educate people just like recycling does. Shortly after NYC began recycling I moved to Central Europe and was amazed at how far ahead they already were: green, brown, and clear glass bottles, each in specific containers, was a serious head's up.

We'll all witch and moan about changes when first made and then they become a normal part of life anddd we find something else to complain about:);).

The price difference is about $0.01 per utensil now, even less than that when bought in bulk, there is no excuse for Disney not to be using them. The other problem with the ones back then was that whole biodegradable, they were consuming resources at an alarming rate, the new ones are made out of food products that would just be getting composted anyway in a sustainable manner.

As for small changes, switching to biodegradable straws, lids and even cups would have been a lot smaller change than getting rid of them. Switch utensils and no one is even going to notice, other than the fact that they are a bit sturdier and hold up to more than the plastic ware currently used.

As for reusable cups, after the initial shock, people will realize they save money as they will only be spending $1 to refill and they will have a souvenier to take home with them, so I don't think too many would complain.

Wish I knew which lid would fit the drinks. I'd buy some and bring them along. Like others, we like to get a drink and walk along with it. My other choice would be not to buy soda with meals and bring bottled soda into the parks with us.

That's my current plan. We probably won't be returning to Disney until 2020, so maybe things will have changed by then, but right now my plan is that I'll go to the CS restaurant to stand in line and order food and DH and the kids will go to the closest kiosk to buy bottled drinks and we'll meet up at a table somewhere. Slight inconvenience but the best option for us. I used to be the pack mule carrying all kinds of stuff around the park. I gave up that role about 10 years ago and now I don't take anything to the parks that doesn't fit in my pockets. I have no desire to lug a refillable mugs around the parks all day nor do I want to carry around open cups of soda. We will just buy plastic bottles of drinks...which probably defeats the (perceived) purpose of eliminating lids and straws.

No lids. Some paper straws. I use reusable straws at home, but was REALLY annoyed when I was trying to drink a frozen chai in AK and the paper straw would not work and then basically broke down in the liquid rendering it useless within 5 minutes of getting the drink. I hate drinking cold stuff without a straw, so I may follow others who said they plan to bring their personal straws to the park. I get it.

No lids. Some paper straws. I use reusable straws at home, but was REALLY annoyed when I was trying to drink a frozen chai in AK and the paper straw would not work and then basically broke down in the liquid rendering it useless within 5 minutes of getting the drink. I hate drinking cold stuff without a straw, so I may follow others who said they plan to bring their personal straws to the park. I get it.
Except a personal straw won't make it through security at Animal Kingdom.

Maybe, but look on these boards and you will find plenty of people that have not been able to bring them into Animal Kingdom, the other parks allow them, just not Animal Kingdom.

You will also find people that had to remove the "straws" that are inside sippy cups.

Really, if it isn't a paper straw, it isn't getting inside Animal Kingdom, no matter what the rules say, it is how security is implementing the rules.

Unfortunately this also would apply to the eco friendly, biodegradable straws that are made from corn startch, etc. That don't pose harm to the animals either. I think the thought process is if we allow one type non paper straw, where do we draw the line?

Unfortunately the Mom's panel often gives out bad advice these days and in some cases is just outright wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread as a reminder. I guess we will need to bring the reusable mugs into the parks. My friend (riding a scooter) and my special needs DS really need to have (at least) a lid. We'll take straws to all parks, but AK.

Thanks for this thread as a reminder. I guess we will need to bring the reusable mugs into the parks. My friend (riding a scooter) and my special needs DS really need to have (at least) a lid. We'll take straws to all parks, but AK.
When we have a scooter in our party, the reusable mugs just go in the scooter basket and we prop them up in a way they won't tip over, then no one has to carry them around, but we have them, works all around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter