What's the Downside of DDP?

On our last 7 day trip I used a credit card for everything we ate and drank. We ate one table service breakfast, 2 table service lunches, and had 6 table service dinners. We ate several quick serve meals as well. My wife and I also averaged one alcoholic drink per day each. We ate what we wanted pretty much when we wanted. Including tips, which are not included on the DDP, we spent about $200 less than we would have if we'd purchased the DDP.

My kids don't eat a ton, but I'm one of those weird bodybuilder types ( Disney is cheat week for my usual diet, lol ) who eats every three hours and I didn't hold back at WDW.

I personally can't see how the DDP is cost effective for the way my family and I eat.

We did DDP once, didn't care for it, just too restrictive for us. The plan is built around people ordering the most expensive item in a category, so if you prefer chicken over lobster you're essentially paying the lobster price for chicken.

I think the allure of the DDP is partly that you feel like that part of your vacation is paid for, so "knock yerself out" and order whatever within the limits of the plan. And maybe you wouldn't order the lobster at home, but you will this time! If that's what floats your boat, by all means do it! :earsboy:

The best way to do gift cards is to just use them to pay off your account at the resort. Since they have a cc attached to your account, you probably need to check with them how often you need to settle up before they actually charge that card, but at least you don't have to keep track of what's on the card or end up with small amounts on various cards. I agree that it's still not as easy as the magic band with cc, but a little easier than paying with gcs every where you go.
That's what we do, if we are using gift cards.

And yes, as you said, it is easier than using gift cards everywhere you go. (I've never found $1,000 gift cards.) But of course we then have to stop by to pay off the bill at the front desk. That said, it does work for us.

I think it has been proven over and over that there are little to no savings in the Dining plan, UNLESS you maximize every meal (i.e. order the more expensive meals, desserts, character meals...).

I didn't like my schedule being dictated by table service meals, which mostly require advanced reservations. Paying OOP, I can always cancel my reservations, and replace a table service meal with a lighter meal, and not feel forced to "use it or lose it". And I certainly don't need a bunch of snacks to take home.

I have a significant amount on a Disney Rewards card, and another good sum on a combined Disney gift card, purchased at a discount. We plan to charge everything to magic bands, and pay off at the resort with the cards.

The argument of having everything paid for in advance with the dining plan is false, now that tips are not included. You also have non included charges such as alcoholic beverages. At the end of a week, tips alone would be hundreds of dollars.

Yes, there are situations where people can save money, but they are not the norm, and it is not a significant amount.

I think it has been proven over and over that there are little to no savings in the Dining plan, UNLESS you maximize every meal (i.e. order the more expensive meals, desserts, character meals...).

I am NOT a DDP user; it does not fit the way my family eats, but your statement is not true.

For any family that has just one Disney kid and two adults, they can save quite a bit with any of the plans without the maximizing you suggest. For many families that love to eat and Disney eating is as much a part of their vacation as the attractions, the DxDDP can be a significant savings even without kids. In 2018 when alcoholic beverages ARE included, many will see an even greater savings.

I'm sorry, but it has not been proven over and over; it hasn't even been proven once. It all depends on the makeup of the family and how they like to eat.

The downside? Getting the value from it is a strategy. So some people choose to love it, and some choose to decline buying it. ;)

At this time, it suits my family's needs so even if it is a large overpayment on our food budget, it's easier to buy the Dining Plan and choose some ADR's, rather than drive myself totally insane trying to plan meals, order groceries, etc.!

Price has been mentioned as a downside to the DDP plan. Under-utilization of the plan (passing on desserts, not ordering the most expensive entrée) is also mentioned. I understand these things, but are they the only aspects to consider when purchasing a DDP? Is everything else the same between DDP and cash?

Is DDP harder to use, has separate reservation lines, easier to checkout, has fewer menu items (pre-menus?), gets preferred seating, or show seating? I presume ADRs are not affected by DDP. I want to say "no" to the DDP plans, but they seem as flexible and easy to use as cash.

I don't care about getting savings on dining, or overspending on DDP. I want the best, easiest to use procedure for dining. We plan to do several TS at Epcot's World Showcase, but also are small portion eaters. We will also be doing character meals and CRT and BOG.

The OP asked about the difference between DDP and cash. Specifically, if it is easier. From my experience, it is similar- at least in terms of TS. There is not a separate menu (or line at QS) for DDP patrons. You can get show seating (like Fantasmic packages). As a PP mentioned, Hoop De Doo and Spirit of Aloha are category 2, not category 1. Also mentioned by PPs are that not all snacks can be used as credits, you have to look for the logo. (Most are, but there's a few that are not; waffle sandwiches at Sleepy Hollow come to mind...)

The arguments of no alcohol or adding enhancements or paying tips are not necessarily valid ones here- the OP is asking about differences. These are the same- you pay to add them with either the DDP or cash.

Again, I will tell the OP to do research- look at the menus, see what you might (realistically) order and eat. If it is similar to the DDP, then go with it. If not, then use cash. IMO, having used the DDP a lot, it is just as easy to use and fairly flexible- at least for how my family chooses to eat while on vacation. If it's not for you, that's fine. Different strokes and all...

Without reading the rest of the responses, and to put it in the most objective terms possible, the potential drawbacks to using DDP are:

1. The plan... "compels" is the wrong word here... um... "encourages" you to eat a certain way in order to get decent value out of it. This style might not match the styles of people in your party, especially over a longer trip. (This is intended to include the "flexibility" arguments.)
  2. By pre-paying for food, you take a risk that nothing will go wrong during your vacation, leaving you with unused credits due to illness, injury, early departure, etc.
  3. If paying for QSDP or DDP out of pocket, you are unlikely to break even or better, unless at least half your party are children age 3-9.
  4. Trying to "maximize" the plan in an attempt to break even or save money leads you to the higher end of the menu, which means larger TS tips (assuming your personal tipping philosophy is percentage based).
  5. Dining plans are not available at affiliated, but technically non-Disney hotels (Swan, Dolphin, Shades of Green, etc.), limiting your hotel options.
  6. Getting a dining plan requires making a "package" reservation, subject to package payment rules, et. al., instead of allowing for room-only (or even off-site!) stays.

I agree it really depends on your family dynamic at the time of the trip. We have always maximized value with the free dining and staying at values in the past, pre-QSDP. We will be paying for dining for the first time in October and we have a buffet character meal scheduled every single day. Personally, these are not my first choice restaurants but we will have a 2.9 year old and a 9.75 year old. (The numbers are estimates but trying to convey that one is still barely free, and the other one is still barely a child- buffets are the best way for them to just eat whatever.) I still don't like paying $990 for 6 nights for this, but I'm definitely planning on us eating our money's worth as far as Disney prices go.

Last time we went with no dining plan, it was hard to pay $300+ OOP for some of these same less than stellar AYCTE meals that we are doing again 4 years later! :rotfl:

I agree it really depends on your family dynamic at the time of the trip. We have always maximized value with the free dining and staying at values in the past, pre-QSDP. We will be paying for dining for the first time in October and we have a buffet character meal scheduled every single day. Personally, these are not my first choice restaurants but we will have a 2.9 year old and a 9.75 year old. (The numbers are estimates but trying to convey that one is still barely free, and the other one is still barely a child- buffets are the best way for them to just eat whatever.) I still don't like paying $990 for 6 nights for this, but I'm definitely planning on us eating our money's worth as far as Disney prices go.

Last time we went with no dining plan, it was hard to pay $300+ OOP for some of these same less than stellar AYCTE meals that we are doing again 4 years later! :rotfl:

Yep, Dining Plan is much more designed for families who are trying to get ALL the Character Meals they can. If you've eaten at enough places and eventually have some favorites and a pattern, the Dining Plan will lose its value to your family, as well as when your kids become Disney Adults. :(

I totally understand what you mean about under-utilizing the credits though! Had I known, I would have covered meals for family members, and not ended up with 42 snack credits at the end LOL!

We love the dining plan.

We are 3 adults and sometimes all 3 go, sometimes 2. No kids, no dietary restrictions (except for my weird preferences). We went once without and will never do that again.

We find a lot of QS meals are huge and shareable, so we will get one and split and be able to try different things at different places. Makes for a chance to relax and people watch.

I agree with convenience. It's already paid for, we just have to plan tips for TS. We do the $20 in an envelope and have it set aside before hand.

We will never charge to magicband again after the first time (disney imposes their own limits, not that of credit card. Then didn't clear each night and told us only way to clear limit was to do it in person AT resort).

I like the change of a QS dessert to a snack. Usually QS was some version of the brownie/chocolate cake they do. Why waste it there when I can save them for World Showcase?

ETA: the year we didn't have it we saved receipts and added up meals only (QS and TS) and no snack or mugs or desserts and it came out MORE out of pocket by about $100. At those meals we didn't order extra appetizers or additions. We COULD get more for our money and didn't feel restricted, too full, forced, etc

Last edited:
We like the DDP. We got it free the first time we booked (we booked a wedding package to get married on 10/10/10, the fortnight we were therefore in WDW happened to fall in free dining, we didn't plan that) We bought it the next time, and still saved money. My husband enjoyed being able to choose without feeling anxious about eating into our holiday cash (he finds it hard to choose the most expensive thing on the menu even though he loves steak and such) BUT eating out is part of our holiday, and TS meals are important to us. ( we would be unhappy eating QS for a fortnight) AND we like dessert, and only drink soda away from home, so, even that is a treat. Plus, if we want water, it's just a snack credit, no worry about change (yes it's not the best use, but, we use any left over snack credits to take WDW / USA specific treats home

This time we have booked the DXDP, because, a) there are now 4 of us, and ALL of us like to start a holiday day with a sit-down breakfast, b) one of us has CLL, and needs to take regular breaks and eat properly c) My son says his favourite thing was character dining, so, we can do loads of those, d) This will be my daughters only trip with all of us, and we can go to CRT, and Akershus, and 1900 Park Fare and indulge her Princessness AND e) I still get my Cali Grill Brunch, and DH still gets his steaks, and based on costing out our choices, plus we no longer have to buy the refillable mug, so, that was really useful to us last time, and extra snacks to take home. We are EASILY going to save money buying the DXDP over paying OOP for what we have actually booked.

One reason why I do not use the dining plan is that I do not want to get roped into ordering entrée/dessert/drink. If I want three appetizers, that's how I'll order. I also couldn't have lunch at a lounge, because most of the lounges won't accept dining credits.

It is not the case that every party visiting WDW will save money using the dining plan. The makeup of your party, the places you eat and the way you normally order will dictate whether or not you will save money using the plan.

I did the math the other day on a weekend trip using deluxe dining rather than using Tables in Wonderland, ordering the exact same items on both, allowing for tax and 18% tip on all table service meals. (I'm DVC so the resort package requirement doesn't apply.) They came within $20. If I order the way I want and not the way the deluxe plan expects me to order, I'll save a lot more than that.

Last edited:
Cost is the main consideration for benefit of DDP over OOP, or vice versa. Every situation is different so there is no easy answer to which one is best for your personal situation.

There ore no "perks" to the dining plan, you will get the same dining experience whether DDP or OOP, including the same queuing when you check in. I would argue that payment for the meal on DDP is more convenient than carrying around cash, but equal to paying by CC, but this point is really negligible.

There can be advantages and disadvantages to TS meals (regardless of whether you're DDP or OOP) to consider. Some people find them too time consuming, other people find they are a great way to have a scheduled/planned break during your day and some people also feel that TS restaurants are like attractions in themselves. So, I would suggest deciding if TS dining is for you at all, before deciding on DDP vs. OOP.

We are big eaters and total foodies, but we still had trouble getting through all of our credits with the deluxe dining. We ended up ordering food we didn't really want. I have done the calculations and we did save a ton of money based upon what we ordered, but I wonder if we'd have ordered less and differently without the dining plan, and ended up paying less anyway. YMMV. We also found that the signature restaurants at which we ate are not nearly as good as they used to be (Citricos, California Grill, LeCellier). We tried Tiffins and thought it was just eh. Monsieur Paul was extraordinarily good and we ended up eating there twice!

preemiemama's friend's experience mirrors mine during our early July 5 day trip. I didn't know what to expect food quality or cost-wise so decided to pay OOP. Given the way we prefer to eat I'm opting for a DxDDP plan for our December 11 day trip.
Sure, I'll have to pay tips separately; that would happen on or off plan and same for drinks. Should we have any leftovers as we did during our OOP trip I'll just get a doggy bag same as before. The room has a fridge and it's seen leftovers substitute for late night snacks and lunch why even breakfast.:).

For the mostly TS and signature restaurants we enjoy we should be slightly ahead financially doing this DP.

Without reading the rest of the responses, and to put it in the most objective terms possible, the potential drawbacks to using DDP are:

1. The plan... "compels" is the wrong word here... um... "encourages" you to eat a certain way in order to get decent value out of it. This style might not match the styles of people in your party, especially over a longer trip. (This is intended to include the "flexibility" arguments.)
  2. By pre-paying for food, you take a risk that nothing will go wrong during your vacation, leaving you with unused credits due to illness, injury, early departure, etc.
  3. If paying for QSDP or DDP out of pocket, you are unlikely to break even or better, unless at least half your party are children age 3-9.
  4. Trying to "maximize" the plan in an attempt to break even or save money leads you to the higher end of the menu, which means larger TS tips (assuming your personal tipping philosophy is percentage based).
  5. Dining plans are not available at affiliated, but technically non-Disney hotels (Swan, Dolphin, Shades of Green, etc.), limiting your hotel options.
  6. Getting a dining plan requires making a "package" reservation, subject to package payment rules, et. al., instead of allowing for room-only (or even off-site!) stays.

Actually you can add a dining plan to a room only reservation at a Disney resort and also a DVC reservation.

I don't care about getting savings on dining, or overspending on DDP. I want the best, easiest to use procedure for dining.

I'm not sure what's an easier and better procedure for dining than to eat where you want and just pay with a credit card of card linked to MB's

I never understood paying for the DDP, you are stuck constantly thinking about how to get the most value from it and if you do a good job you barely come out ahead (maybe) you also have to stick to locations that accept DDP.

I would be all for it if saving a good chunk of money was easy to do (10-15 percent) but instead all your doing is giving Disney an interest free loan on your food money then being very careful about using it in hopes of getting a little tiny bit more back than you put in....I just don't get it...why not stash the money away in pretty stable ETF's and cash out as you leave for your vacation?

Last edited:
I had the QSDP last February but came down with something that looked, walked and quacked like norovirus. Over three days I only used one QS credit. I had beaucoup credits left and ended up bringing home some very pricey snacks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter