• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Whats the longest that you have stayed onboard a Disney cruise ship as a passenger?

Okay I have to say how awesome it would be to cruise that long but more so how do you afford it.? Just wondering what does a trip that long cost?

Okay I have to say how awesome it would be to cruise that long but more so how do you afford it.? Just wondering what does a trip that long cost?

I don't have costs right at hand. But how we afford it - we don't buy a new car every other year (we drive them until they die), we've lived in the same house for 28 years now (paid off), we don't have young children that we are buying clothes/toys/whatever else for any more, DH makes enough for us to live on, so all my retirement checks (not large, but at least I'm getting something) go to whatever we want.

Well, have spent many nights on long cruises. But the best was this summer when my 21 year old daughter and I spent 28 nights on the Magic. Did the first 12 night to Greece, then the first 12 night to Venice and then. Stayed on for a 4 night to Mallorca. Before the cruise we flew to Paris first and spent 3 nights at DL Paris. With travel time we were gone 35 days!

Well, have spent many nights on long cruises. But the best was this summer when my 21 year old daughter and I spent 28 nights on the Magic. Did the first 12 night to Greece, then the first 12 night to Venice and then. Stayed on for a 4 night to Mallorca. Before the cruise we flew to Paris first and spent 3 nights at DL Paris. With travel time we were gone 35 days!

That sounds so awesome! If only I had unlimited vacation time from work (not to mention unlimited funds). Our longest is 11 nights on the Magic (2011 Med).

14 nights, WBPC. I could have stayed on another two weeks or more if I'd had the money. I love being on the ship.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

I don't have costs right at hand. But how we afford it - we don't buy a new car every other year (we drive them until they die), we've lived in the same house for 28 years now (paid off), we don't have young children that we are buying clothes/toys/whatever else for any more, DH makes enough for us to live on, so all my retirement checks (not large, but at least I'm getting something) go to whatever we want.
And last I checked the transatlantic cruise was almost less than the airfare back to the states from Europe.

The Practical "How Do We Do It"
Serious Budgeting for the last 35 years (and still working)
Two people working good jobs (but not 100k/year jobs either)
Two kids through college and out of the house
Cars - old and paid for a long time ago
House - paid for (amazing how much "extra" money you have without a house payment :thumbsup2 - but it's time for a new roof, counters and sinks need to be replaced, water heater replaced, heating system replaced - maintenance items starting to make up for a lack of house payment)
Don't eat out often - BUT we've just found Starbucks - so spending money there now :confused3 (their hot chocolate and chi teas are very good, and they have some nice cooling summer drinks too - yea I know that I'm 25 years behind on this "new" :lmao: trend)

Why longer trips?
The longer trips - Panama Canal and Trans Atlantic are usually less expensive on a per day basis. So the cost might work out to about the same as a 7 night cruise - or maybe 50% more.

Another factor is fewer port days (over the two week long cruises vs b2b)- and therefor fewer excursions for us. Sometimes this can save us significant money!! And the Spa is "so overpriced" as not to tempt us to often.

We did the 5 night Canadian last year back to back with the 8 night Bahama cruise out of NYC. Same room both cruises. it was AMAZING!

I'd love to do the longer cruises but they all happen during the school year.

Haven't done lots of cruises, but we pay for our Disney vacations on a single mom teacher income similar to the ways listed above 1) house paid for, 2) car paid for, 3) don't eat out, 4) don't spend on name brand clothes, etc. We make everything last as long as possible.

10 night on the Wonder..we were on their Inaugural Southern Caribbean itinerary...who knew they would only do it twice :confused3 It was our favorite cruise by far

yep..what she said! I worked til last March/ been working since I was 16, made a good buck, little to "us", put the kids through college, now it is MY turn before I am too old.

21 days. Inaugural cruise with the Fantasy - Germany, Azores, NYC, CC and Port Canaveral.

10 night on the Wonder..we were on their Inaugural Southern Caribbean itinerary...who knew they would only do it twice :confused3 It was our favorite cruise by far

We were supposed to be on that cruise but the youngest was just starting high school and was freaking out about missing school (was a very good student and responsible). 20-20 hindsight says that we should have gone on that trip because there wasn't much to miss at school - activities or homework wise :(

25 days for us. 14 night first transatlantic (2007), then 11 day Med cruise. Loved every minute of it!!!

15 nights on the Wonder for WBPC, with WDW before and DL after. Awesome trip!

I know a lot of people wonder about how people afford to cruise for so long at once, but what I wonder even more is how people can be gone from work for that long at once! Or are these people all retired? I am begging DH to do a PC cruise but he insists that he can't be gone from work for 2.5 weeks at once!!! Anyone else have this problem?

I know a lot of people wonder about how people afford to cruise for so long at once, but what I wonder even more is how people can be gone from work for that long at once! Or are these people all retired? I am begging DH to do a PC cruise but he insists that he can't be gone from work for 2.5 weeks at once!!! Anyone else have this problem?

Both DH & I are fortunate enough to get 5 weeks of vacation per year along with 13 holidays so we usually can split that into a 2-3 trips with weekends too. We also don't take off any other times except for our prescheduled vacations.

My DH has been with his company long enough he gets three weeks paid vacation aside from comped days and holidays. In another few years he'll get another week. If I don't schedule vacation he'll hit December and have to take the whole month or lose the vacation. Others have carried over vacation days year to year and if gets to be silly.

My DH has been with his company long enough he gets three weeks paid vacation aside from comped days and holidays. In another few years he'll get another week. If I don't schedule vacation he'll hit December and have to take the whole month or lose the vacation. Others have carried over vacation days year to year and if gets to be silly.

My hubby gets 20 vacation days per year as well as 13 holidays, so having the time is not the issue. He just insists that it would "look bad" for him to be gone for 2+ weeks at one time. I am trying to come up with some convincing arguments as to why that is just silly! So far, "everyone else is doing it..." isn't working. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter