What's the Mixology experience like these days?

Ikaikalani

Tee-Eye-double Guh-err
We're signed up for this on our upcoming Fantasy cruise. Can anyone who's done it recently tell me what the experience was like? Is it a tasting now or do you still mix drinks?

We did it on the Fantasy Dec 27. I didn't think it was very good. It's just a tasting...they give you 4 drinks that are pre-made. They were mostly already made before we showed up. For some of the drinks, they added one ingredient just before serving. The guy presenting was very hyper and nervous. He didn't really explain how to make the drinks, but he did say what was in them. We did Champagne tasting a few days later and it was far, far better.

We did Mixology on our Dec 13-17 Dream cruise and it was great! Kelvin was our host and was so fantastic! Explained so much, had us muddling our drinks and then they would come around and pour the liquor, juices, etc but I didn’t mind that. Still learned some interesting things and enjoyed ourselves!

ETA: We’ve never done a pre CoVID Mixology class so nothing to compare it to:confused3

We did it on the Fantasy Dec 27. I didn't think it was very good. It's just a tasting...they give you 4 drinks that are pre-made. They were mostly already made before we showed up. For some of the drinks, they added one ingredient just before serving. The guy presenting was very hyper and nervous. He didn't really explain how to make the drinks, but he did say what was in them. We did Champagne tasting a few days later and it was far, far better.
Hah! I am pretty sure we were in the same session as you. Our opinion was exactly the same right down to the hyperness. It was really rushed too.
However, we did the Chocolate and Liquor tasting the next day and that one was great. Easily the best tasting experience as far as learning things and discussing pairings that we have done on our eight cruises.

Thank you for letting me know. We've booked a Martini tasting in addition to the Mixology since previously, the Mixology was so different than the others as it was so hands on, etc. With them now so similar I will cancel one so another cruiser can enjoy the experience.

We went on four different tastings and did not mix a single drink ourselves. Closest thing we got to participation was a tray of salt sugar lemon lime and cinnamon that we would sample just before a sip of tequila.
Fantasy 8th through the 16th

Agreed on Christopher on Fantasy…he was in Skyline for the week of our cruise, but provides excellent service/information even if you just pop in instead of doing a tasting.

The last Mixology we did in 2019 was vastly different from the ones before. Much less participation but still good drinks and knowledgeable staff.

Hah! I am pretty sure we were in the same session as you. Our opinion was exactly the same right down to the hyperness. It was really rushed too.
However, we did the Chocolate and Liquor tasting the next day and that one was great. Easily the best tasting experience as far as learning things and discussing pairings that we have done on our eight cruises.
On our last cruise I did the Chocolate and Liquor tasting and absolutely loved it!

We did mixology on the Jan 3rd dream cruise. It was the first time we’ve done it. So can’t compare pre-covid. It’s was pretty good. The bartender was knowledgeable and fun. You pretty much just sit there and they give a explanation of the drink and they give it to you. It’s not really hands on.

I probably won’t ever “make” any of these drinks at home. But if you are looking for something to do and like to drink it’s a good deal. I think it was like 4 or 5 drinks. Plus they made extra of each one and asked if anyone wanted more. So I think we got like 6-7 drinks for the cost of the class. So not too bad.

Does anyone know if they are still offering the private mixology classes? We did one on our last cruise and it was fun. Just wondering if they still offer it with Covid now

Our cruise last week has a private on fantasy

Did you have to pay the organizer or did DCL charge the participants stateroom directly? I would love to do this but with Covid so many unknowns. We tested positive within 10 days of our January sailing and had to cancel.

Did you have to pay the organizer or did DCL charge the participants stateroom directly? I would love to do this but with Covid so many unknowns. We tested positive within 10 days of our January sailing and had to cancel.
Organizer, far in advance and you don’t get that money back for ANY reason. So you would have lost it on your last sailing.

Organizer, far in advance and you don’t get that money back for ANY reason. So you would have lost it on your last sailing.

Thank you for responding. It’s a shame they do it that way now. They should definitely offer way more DCL organized tastings based on the demand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter