What's the most people you have seen walk out of a movie?

kdonnel

DVC-BCV
My wife and I went to see Strays this afternoon.

When buying the ticket the employee asked us if we understood it was rated R. She said many people had been confused and thought it was a kids movie.

There were only 11 people in the theater. About 20 minutes into the movie a group of 3 got up and left. Another 20 minutes passed and a couple got up and left. Neither left during a particularly offensive part of the movie.

That meant that 45% of the people who bought tickets walked out of the movie.

I'm not sure what those 5 people were expecting based on the previews. This is not a movie that portrays itself as something and delivers something else. It was exactly as shown in the trailers. I'm think the trailers for the movie are all red band so even the trailers are effectively rated R.

I have seen people walk out of movies before but never this high a percentage. I wonder if online ticket sales meant the people did not get the are you sure confirmation we got and they didn't watch any trailers?

In any event if you enjoyed Sausage Party, Wedding Crashers, Ted, Team America, Superbad, The 40 Year Old Virgin, We're the Millers, The Hangover, and other similar movies I think you will enjoy Strays.

This was decades ago at my college campus movie theater in the Student Union.

Zabriske Point. I don’t remember what it was about, but it was boring. Within 15 minutes people started to leave. I walked out about 45 minutes in.

There were probably 150 ish people there at the start. Someone who stayed until the end told me there were maybe 10 people left.

Movies only cost a dollar for students so no great loss.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0066601/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_3_nm_0_q_zabriske%20point

I have only seen a large amount of people walk out of a movie once in my life. It was the 1996 movie Crash with Holly Hunter and James Spader. I was with a group so stayed but awful movie. I can’t remember the percentage of people who left but it was a lot.

Just seen strays today. What a funny movie. Not many in theater but no one left.

I myself have only walked out on two movies in my life, Moment by Moment with Lily Tomlin and John Travolta and, many years later, Life Itself, written and directed by Dan Folgelman. Both were wretched but in different ways. The first was laughable, the second was abhorrent. I didn't notice anyone else walking out of either, but they were very poorly attended.

I had a friend walk out on Saving Private Ryan on me. I wound up going to find her and she just couldn’t handle the battle scene in the beginning. We got a refund and I went and saw it with someone else another time.

In regard to the Strays movie, I saw an ad for that and was thinking this is something I would like to see. It looked really cute, I like dogs, and I like lowbrow humor.

I have only seen a large amount of people walk out of a movie once in my life. It was the 1996 movie Crash with Holly Hunter and James Spader. I was with a group so stayed but awful movie. I can’t remember the percentage of people who left but it was a lot.

I remember that one OMG! Yea, because there was another movie named Crash (newer) that was actually good. I remember back when they did the DVD rentals through the mail (BlockBuster or Netflix), but yea I got the WRONG one, and yes I was tripping over myself getting that one back to the mailbox. I don't even remember how much of it I saw, but it wasn't very much.

The only time I remember seeing people walk out of a movie was when we went to see some Tom Hanks movie, I want to say the name was like something involving "news". I group of about 4 or so left. I've never walked out, but yea that one was kind of dull, that's for sure.

I remember decades ago just about everyone walking out on the Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner movie Haunted Honeymoon I think it was called. It was so unfunny to the point of embarrassing for the actors up on the screen. People were leaving left and right. My friend and I stayed because I guess we felt bad. I think it was only us and maybe two or three people left at the end.

Honestly, I wouldn't notice if people walked out because I assume they're going for concessions or a restroom break and never notice if they come back.

I have never walked out on a movie. I finish bad movies. I finish bad books. It's a personality flaw. But about 20 minutes into the new Haunted Mansion movie, my daughter looked at me and asked if we should leave. I almost said yes.

Detroit.

Several people were very upset and left. I get it. It was hard to watch. One guy was pretty loud about it and I got a bit nervous thinking if someone said something to him at that moment an all out fight wound break out. Luckily everyone just ignored it and he left quickly.

I don't see it often, or at least don't notice it. I do remember some walking out of Kevin Smith's Dogma - I get why some might really not care for that one. Also, I do remember at Elemental recently a family left, but I am not sure it was movie related. They had seemed distracted from the moment they sat down, so maybe something else going on.

To add, I will usually stick out a movie to the end, and rarely go to see movies that I am not apt to like. I've never walked out, but I probably would have if I hadn't rode with a group. Notable examples include Michael Bay's first Transformers movie and The Dark Knight. We also went to see Ben Affleck's Daredevil movie with free passes, and we still felt like we should get our money back!

I walked out on one years ago. I don’t remember the name, but it was very distasteful. And I’m not a prude in any way. It was just offensive. We got a refund.

I think it might have been night patrol 1984

Last edited:
A girlfriend and I went to see A Million Ways to Die in the West at the local dollar theater.

A few of the fellas who must have been dragged in by their wives were clearly expecting something more akin to a traditional Western.

They didn't leave their wives completely, but they didn't stay inside the theater!

My wife and I went to see Strays this afternoon.

When buying the ticket the employee asked us if we understood it was rated R. She said many people had been confused and thought it was a kids movie.

There were only 11 people in the theater. About 20 minutes into the movie a group of 3 got up and left. Another 20 minutes passed and a couple got up and left. Neither left during a particularly offensive part of the movie.

That meant that 45% of the people who bought tickets walked out of the movie.

I'm not sure what those 5 people were expecting based on the previews. This is not a movie that portrays itself as something and delivers something else. It was exactly as shown in the trailers. I'm think the trailers for the movie are all red band so even the trailers are effectively rated R.

I have seen people walk out of movies before but never this high a percentage. I wonder if online ticket sales meant the people did not get the are you sure confirmation we got and they didn't watch any trailers?

In any event if you enjoyed Sausage Party, Wedding Crashers, Ted, Team America, Superbad, The 40 Year Old Virgin, We're the Millers, The Hangover, and other similar movies I think you will enjoy Strays.
Do people not pay attention to ratings? I would think this is important!

I assume these are the same people that were upset about the Barbie movie, when taking their 3, 4, 5 year olds. I think the PG13 would give that away.

Strays. I think the R rating would give it away.

I used to go to many movies at the New York Film Festival every year. Back then (don't know what it's like now), the movies would all mostly be sold out, so it would be a full house. Often, a third to a half of the theater would leave at some point. We're talking 100+ people, sometimes all leaving at the same time--sometimes when the director was in the audience. I myself left once during a 6-hour movie that already seemed like it had been playing for about 300 hours. I just couldn't take it.

I admit that I walk out of movies if I don't like them. I've done it before and I'll definitely do it again. I don't have the patience to sit through something i don't like/can't bear.

Most recently - Skinamarink. It's an experimental horror film that is admittedly strange and filled with lingering, blurry shots of walls and very little dialogue. Several groups got up and left after about 45 minutes. I stuck it out for some reason and was mad at myself for doing so as I was driving home 🤦‍♀️ I can appreciate the film a bit more after researching it and learning about the creator but I absolutely do not blame anyone for walking out.

Do people not pay attention to ratings? I would think this is important!

I assume these are the same people that were upset about the Barbie movie, when taking their 3, 4, 5 year olds. I think the PG13 would give that away.

Strays. I think the R rating would give it away.
I can only guess that people see two cute dogs on the movie poster and don't even notice the rating.

Comments from Rotten Tomatoes are pretty hilarious.

" Adam Mullins-Khatib
Director Josh Greenbaum and writer Dan Perrault team up for neither of their best work with Strays, a lackluster crude dog comedy whose blessedly short run time is its most redeeming feature.":rotfl2:

I walked out of Natural Born Killers for being just gross, I didn't like the characters at all, nothing redeeming.

I walked out of Eyes Wide Shut for being so indulgent of itself, still have no idea what they were trying to do or say.

Walked out of Talladega Nights for being too raunchy for my kids, it was so juvenile I wasn't expecting it to be what it was & think I found a parents rating website after that.

I walked out of Temptation of the Christ for being offensive towards one set of beliefs, mine, no other belief system is expected to tolerate such violations of respect, anywhere ever, whole thing was very disrespectful. Lots of other people left too so I guess this one is the winner for most rejected.

50% of the audience would have walked out of Shanghai Surprise with Madonna and Sean Penn had I not been dragged there by my date. You know a movie is flopping when during its first week, there are two people in the theater and one of them wanted to be at any other movie playing in the complex.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter